Unlock is driving me crazy

Forums: Unlock is driving me crazy
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Unlock is driving me crazy

Postby p3taotoy » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:35 pm

p3taotoy Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:35 pm
I am very confused with the whole unlock business. I have a license that is not being used on one of my systems. The system is actually unplugged. And I am traveling.

Do I have to deactivate it just too use my license on another computer??? I have all but one unlock left. I am hesitant to unlock for the computer I am on cause if I go back to the other one I am screwed.

My understanding was that I can use it on any "one" active machine... if not... that makes no sense.

I have to get work done. Please explain or advise.

Thanks

Peter
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Unlock is driving me crazy

Postby elsksa » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:48 pm

elsksa Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:48 pm
Hi,

The way to do it without resorting to the limited "unlocks" is to disconnect (log out) from one machine, then re-connect to an other. It's a habit to get used to.

If you didn't intentionally meant to use an "unlock", feel free to reach out to the otoy-support, they will sort it out.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby p3taotoy » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:11 pm

p3taotoy Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:11 pm
Thanks man
Yeah I guess I thought I did not have to log out each time I "think" I may be switching machines.
Appreciate your feedback.

Peter
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neue » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:33 pm

neue Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:33 pm
Why are unlocks limited anyway? I’ve ran out of them now because a machine that hasn’t had octane running on it for days is claimed to be logged in.

It’s obvious from this forum that your system isn’t reliable enough to actually keep track of logins correctly.

It’s evident from the fact you limit unlocks that some engineering in the background of it is screwed up because you’re obviously worried about people just being able to unlock.

For such a critical piece of software this isn’t hitting the minimum bar. Maxon manage to make a license system that doesn’t freak out when you want to kick a machine off your license. Heck even Adobe managed to make one and they’re basically incompetent at this point.

Your render engine tech is amazing but how much value does it really have to me if I spent 2 hours of my work day debugging this and will have to contact customer support the next time it definitively will happen.

Either make unlocks unlimited or make your system do it’s job, “bad connection” on the users end isn’t an excuse, your engineering should account for that.
neue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:26 pm

elsksa Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:26 pm
neue wrote:Why are unlocks limited anyway?

I would presume, to prevent abusive users. That's nothing exclusive to Octane. The system is different elsewhere but remains on the same licensing security/safety principle. Some other type of licenses (e.g. floating) may not have such limitation.

neue wrote:I’ve ran out of them now because a machine that hasn’t had octane running on it for days is claimed to be logged in.

It happens, and the people at OTOY are always kind enough to reset them when user-clusminess happened. I've been there too but got used to it, now.

neue wrote:It’s obvious from this forum that your system isn’t reliable enough to actually keep track of logins correctly.

I haven't experience that at all. I've switched from several Windows & Linux workstation with ease.

There is certainly some headroom for improvements. Such feedback is essential for OTOY.
However, do know that licensing is a complicated aspect of a software company, especially one as large as OTOY. Many companies struggle to find a compromise for their vast type of users, and have to fight exploits and loopholes (including piracy). Changing the licensing system is a highly impacting decision and requires time and effort.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:05 am

itsallgoode9 Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:05 am
let's not sugar goat OTOY's flawed/broken licensing system with terms such as "user clumsiness". The system has been an issue for multiple users for YEARS.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hazenkind » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:15 pm

hazenkind Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:15 pm
itsallgoode9 wrote:The system has been an issue for multiple users for YEARS.

True! I check the status every day i´m leaving the office :D
hazenkind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neue » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:53 pm

neue Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:53 pm
elsksa wrote:I would presume, to prevent abusive users. That's nothing exclusive to Octane.

No an issue at all if engineered competently, as I sad Maxon manages just fine, Adobe manages to do it just fine. Basically every subscription service on earth manages to do it just fine.

elsksa wrote:kind enough to reset them when user-clusminess happened.

How is me closing the app and shutting down the computer "user-clumsiness", it's just a poorly engineered system.

elsksa wrote:do know that licensing is a complicated aspect of a software company

Doesn't matter, either code it correctly so it works like everyone else manages to do or don't have your system freak out when it incorrectly thinks two machines are using it. Heck I'll give you a clue, maybe if one machine hasn't fired off a render event in 5 days then maybe, just maybe your software isn't still running on it.
neue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:34 pm

elsksa Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:34 pm
neue wrote:No an issue at all if engineered competently, as I sad Maxon manages just fine, Adobe manages to do it just fine. Basically every subscription service on earth manages to do it just fine.

It is technically working as expected. The system would have to be different to work that way. That's up to OTOY, though.

neue wrote:How is me closing the app and shutting down the computer "user-clumsiness", it's just a poorly engineered system.

It is when the user knows in advance the same locked license will be used on another machine, the user has to log out. Similarly to logging out from an office desk when leaving it (for a break or heading home).

There is definitely room for improvement on that aspect of the licensing system.
It has been requested by other users as well. OTOY must likely be aware, since. Let's wait and see if something is being worked on.
It's always welcomed when users suggest what's best for Octane. That's the spirit, as long as it is done politely, with respect to OTOY staff and developers.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion