Fed up of OTOY teasing features never get released

Forums: Fed up of OTOY teasing features never get released
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: Fed up of OTOY teasing features never get released

Postby Rik » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:15 am

Rik Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:15 am
For me, the issue has always been what happens after a feature has been invented.
The instructions and tutorials are woeful. Looking at other engins, like redshift, one soon realises where Otoy needs to start putting more staff.
It shouldn't be down to forum moderators to explain to paying customers how to use features showcased years earlier.
I wanted to know more about vectron lights which looked increadible on one of the 'look what's coming' presentations.
Here's what comes up in a search in the latest online manual...

Screenshot 2022-07-23 081248.jpg

Whilst continual technical evolution is fantastic, the 'after-creation' service is not. Sorry.
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Dingbat » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:48 pm

Dingbat Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:48 pm
Goldorak wrote:Anime edge kernel is in a pretty good state as a render delegate (which we can then sideload in Octane core), but like polarization and some other roadmap features, I have put them further out because users have strongly voted on us shipping more urgent features ahead of this (including PPM caustics). You can do amazing things with the current toons shader, and the edges rendering is going to make that better. Right now, we have our work cut out for us on real time, meshlets and a long list of user requests that is the lifeblood of us supporting a very broad userbase.

thanks for the update

is "edges rendering" something different to Anime kernel? it's something i badly need as currently use time consuming and tedious workarounds to render edges (in a different software)

how far off is edge rendering, realistically?

less than 1 year? 1 year? 2? more?
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby efforce » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:37 pm

efforce Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:37 pm
Dingbat wrote:
Goldorak wrote:Anime edge kernel is in a pretty good state as a render delegate (which we can then sideload in Octane core), but like polarization and some other roadmap features, I have put them further out because users have strongly voted on us shipping more urgent features ahead of this (including PPM caustics). You can do amazing things with the current toons shader, and the edges rendering is going to make that better. Right now, we have our work cut out for us on real time, meshlets and a long list of user requests that is the lifeblood of us supporting a very broad userbase.

thanks for the update

is "edges rendering" something different to Anime kernel? it's something i badly need as currently use time consuming and tedious workarounds to render edges (in a different software)

how far off is edge rendering, realistically?

less than 1 year? 1 year? 2? more?

Not much point asking about ETA - refer attached image
Attachments
chrome_cnmgxmC5Aw.png
efforce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Dingbat » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:50 am

Dingbat Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:50 am
great...

can these features be beta tested?
Dingbat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:25 pm

elsksa Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:25 pm
Rik wrote:For me, the issue has always been what happens after a feature has been invented.
The instructions and tutorials are woeful. Looking at other engins, like redshift, one soon realises where Otoy needs to start putting more staff.
It shouldn't be down to forum moderators to explain to paying customers how to use features showcased years earlier.
I wanted to know more about vectron lights which looked increadible on one of the 'look what's coming' presentations.
Here's what comes up in a search in the latest online manual...

Screenshot 2022-07-23 081248.jpg

Whilst continual technical evolution is fantastic, the 'after-creation' service is not. Sorry.

There is undeniably room for improvements, but it is nothing exclusive to Octane/OTOY.
That's also the case with many other renderers (even the biggest ones), and at VFX studios as well, in regard to in-house development (proprietary renderer or tools).
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to General Discussion