Controlling material channels through effectors (Using RGB)

Forums: Controlling material channels through effectors (Using RGB)
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Controlling material channels through effectors (Using RGB)

Postby LC-INTERNET » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:10 pm

LC-INTERNET Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:10 pm
Hei,

Using the plug-in for C4D, I've been working on setting up a fairly simple cloner setup, where the idea is to use two effectors to separately
control two different channels. In this case, a random effector controlling a MultiShader in the Albedo/emission, and a plain effector controlling
a Color Shader within the opacity channel.

I found this cool technique -> https://youtu.be/nkpozO_Ljto
Which basically assigns a color out of (Red / green / blue) per effector / channel.

The setup works as intended in C4D, but not in Octane. Even following this technique, both effectors affect all channels.
Any ideas on why? Alternatives that could work within Octane?

I know that ultimately I could just drop the multi-shader, but I'm going to end up working with a plethora of assets, and finding a way to make this work would make my life a lot easier. :roll:

Thanks for the help,
Louis.
LC-INTERNET
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Controlling material channels through effectors (Using RGB)

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:46 am

bepeg4d Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:46 am
Hi Louis,
you cn use the Fields to control three different effectors, one per RGB color, then use the Octane Instance Color node, in Particles mode, and use the MoGraph Cloner in Render Instance mode as a source:
77CADF6C-FF92-4C67-91DD-7583660DD9DA.jpeg

Then you can use the Channel Picker node to separate the three RGB channels, and use them to control different channels, in this example I have used the Green channel to control an Octane Gradient node in Complex mode (similar to Multi Shader), the Red channel to control Opacity, and the Blue channel to control Emission:
8AAC9C1A-2810-4CEB-8AE0-4BC3322E8180.jpeg

Here is the example scene:
RGB-FieldEffector.zip
(159.46 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: Controlling material channels through effectors (Using RGB)

Postby LC-INTERNET » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:19 pm

LC-INTERNET Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:19 pm
Hei Beppe,

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me find a solution.

Your setup looks promising. I'm having issues reproducing it from scratch although opening your scene works. (Might be something to do with the fact that I'm using C4D S24?)
But anyway, I guess I should have specified in my opening post, that I need my clones to not be instances so I can still affect the meshes with deformers and such.

Which makes the point moot. Sorry about that. :oops:
LC-INTERNET
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion