Vector displacement from Height Map values ?

Forums: Vector displacement from Height Map values ?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Vector displacement from Height Map values ?

Postby Creative_Sheep » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:08 am

Creative_Sheep Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:08 am
How can I load height data into Standalone then take this data and use specific values from this as to control the direction and amount of a vector displacement ?
Creative_Sheep
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Vector displacement from Height Map values ?

Postby jobigoud » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:10 pm

jobigoud Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:10 pm
Can you clarify what you want to do with an example?
You can take the height map and plug it into an OSL shader. The OSL shader can read the height values and produce a displacement vector based on the height. Is this what you want to do?
jobigoud
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Creative_Sheep » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:48 am

Creative_Sheep Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:48 am
jobigoud wrote:Can you clarify what you want to do with an example?
You can take the height map and plug it into an OSL shader. The OSL shader can read the height values and produce a displacement vector based on the height. Is this what you want to do?

What you described is what I want to do. Take a value from the height map, then use that value to create a vector displacement vector. In other words, if I have a height map and in that height map is this arbitrary value of 0.45347; I want that value as a vector displacement value so that when rendered or combined with the height map that specific value is converted to a vector displacement value and renders as a vector displacement with the height map.
Creative_Sheep
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:32 am

elsksa Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:32 am
Hi,
Genuinely curious, why the specific need of the Vector Displacement, especially from a height map as opposed to generating the Vector map directly?

A height map doesn't carry all the information that a Vector map does. There are pros/cons for both with height displacement being the most commonly used as sufficient for most cases.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion