Mixing two vastly different displacement maps?

Forums: Mixing two vastly different displacement maps?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Mixing two vastly different displacement maps?

Postby kartata » Wed May 25, 2022 9:23 am

kartata Wed May 25, 2022 9:23 am
Hello everyone,

encountered a little problem, when trying to build a large landscape:
I have a height map for a mountainscape on which i tried to put another Quixel displacement for a rocky texture but it seems to mess up everything.
There is positive and negative height information in that texture which I want to use to deform the bigger landscape in both Y+ / Y-, so it either drags everything down or pushes it up

I watched and tried it to solve with this tutorial, but it seems to only work when the displacements sit beneath each other, not when they are supposed to be on top of each other:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEktSqdoMCU

My only solution as I see it would be to export the .obj and put the rocky displacement on top of that, but since it's 8M tris and the scene is not populated with trees and rocks yet, I will run out of VRAM quickly.

I hope I made clear what problem I ran into and hope that anyone here has a solution for that.

Thanks,
Dave
Attachments
Grad_2.png
Rocky discplacement
Grad_1.png
Mountainscape
kartata
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Mixing two vastly different displacement maps?

Postby bepeg4d » Thu May 26, 2022 6:45 am

bepeg4d Thu May 26, 2022 6:45 am
Hi,
the issue is that Texture Displacement is very limited, and works only with a single image texture node, so you should need to mix the two displacement textures in PhotoShop, or similar, with a lot of tries and errors :roll:
Alternative, you could try with Vertex Displacement, adding the subdivisions in the Displacement node, or via Object Layer node. In this case you can use any kind of texture node, even mixed, or composed, but polygon count could be an issue with large landscape scenes :roll:

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to General Discussion