Octane - Scattering Features

Forums: Octane - Scattering Features
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Octane - Scattering Features

Postby AaronWestwood » Sun May 22, 2022 2:07 pm

AaronWestwood Sun May 22, 2022 2:07 pm
Me again,

Just posted feedback on Octanes volumes, but while im at it thought to also post some feedback on scatter....my most used tool!

Scatter (in my opinion from an environment work perspective) is Octanes biggest selling point. Scatter is so insanely powerful, but its very bare bones as far as features go currently. Thought i'd list a few things I think could make it better.

1. Object Assignment. Instead of nesting objects in a scatter, it would be so helpful if you could assign objects to each scatter via the object tag. When loading in huge speedtree assets for example (in the spirit of optimisation), its such a memory hog if you have a duplicated tree in multiple scatters (say for FG, medium, BG, thats loaded in 3 times). Idealy, the tree would be loaded in once, and assigned to the 3 scatters allowing mixing and matching.

2. Instance Placment. Ontop of the above. Would be great to have this work but for individual hand placment, referencing the single loaded in clone. We can of course do this in C4D in instances, but seem to be a no brainer to include single asset duplicating into this incredibly fast system.

3. Clone Transform Tools. Being able to select clones, delete clones, move clones, rotate clones, freely paint clones (outside of vertex) etc would be the next step in the right direction. Sometimes you have a perfect seed outside of that 1 clone. Its SO annoying to manually remove this using mograph or some other way....couldnt we just delete it/move it out of the way/rotate it to something more compositionally sound etc?

4. Randomisation. Having scale randomisation, rotation randomisation, position randomasition built in just cuts down on extra steps. Being able to enhance this ontop with effects/noise patterns will bring the best of mogrpahs random and shader effectors int scatter.

5. Scatter CC. Being able to colour correct entire scatters is again another step to minumise clicks and provide more freedom with look dev.

6. Source proximity coloura data. Grass comes to mind, setup a ground diffuse map with various green and brown gradients and have the scattered grass on top be able to read this colour info and adopt that colour variation for a huge step in realism. You can do this through a very slow shader system in C4D but again, having this as an option in the the scatter would be amazing. Would help for blending assets to the ground plane also.

7. Feathering. Having feathering/bluring on the normal threshold/slope mask.

8. Rules. Being able to distribute using rules, for example. If I scatter rocks, then I want pebbles scattered around these rocks, then I want dead grass scattered in between these pebbles etc. Right now you can set this up with Scale but being able to have a heirachy would be handy, as again, WAY less clicks. Especially if you want to change the noise pattern, you need to go into each scatter, 3 different times. 1 master control here would be wonderful.

9. Edge Mode. For example if you have a large grass area with a path, you have 2 clones, a wide grass and a thin grass, being able to assign the thin grass along the edge of an assigned region so you can get fine detail along that edge, and large ground detail all else covered by a single scatter.

10. Clone Blending. Right now in C4D we can blend clones using the Position field. This is binary so a clone is on or off within this noise pattern. Lets say one of these clones is red, and another is green, being able to blend these clones along that noise pattern would provide more options when it comes to realism. Some times you want the harshness, othertimes not. This could also be use blending between dead grass and fresh grass. Normaly you'd need 2 grass scatters to blend between each other, not ideal if this could all be handled within 1 single scatter. *** Not talking about blending the colours, but blending the clones.

11. Scatter on Scatter. Not sure if this is a pipedream, but being able to scatter on a scatter would be awesome. Say I want moss scattered on a rock, then that rock scattered with the scattered moss. Not sure how doable this is, but thought to include it in.

12. Rail/Spline Scatter. Being able to clone on a rail/spline for things like hedges/buildings etc. Especially with buildings, being able to bring in a city grid spline and assign Buildings to that with spacing/rotational controls. Right now we are limited for Vertex scatter for a grid, we need more flexibility here.

Thats it for now. Happy to go into more detail if needed :)

Keen to hear any thoughts.

AW
3D Environment Artist
http://www.artstation.com/aaronwestwood
2 x 4090 // 13900KS // 96GB 5600mHz DDR5 // Windows 11
AaronWestwood
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane - Scattering Features

Postby aoktar » Sun May 22, 2022 7:48 pm

aoktar Sun May 22, 2022 7:48 pm
Which program are you talking about?
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby AaronWestwood » Sun May 22, 2022 9:24 pm

AaronWestwood Sun May 22, 2022 9:24 pm
aoktar wrote:Which program are you talking about?

Not sure what you’re meaning. I’m in C4D, but these suggestions are for scatter as a whole.
3D Environment Artist
AaronWestwood
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Sun May 22, 2022 9:55 pm

aoktar Sun May 22, 2022 9:55 pm
AaronWestwood wrote:

Not sure what you’re meaning. I’m in C4D, but these suggestions are for scatter as a whole.

Why? In standalone we have Scatter and you're writing in to general discussion. I'm asking to understand what scatter you're talking about.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby AaronWestwood » Sun May 22, 2022 10:02 pm

AaronWestwood Sun May 22, 2022 10:02 pm
aoktar wrote:
AaronWestwood wrote:

Why? In standalone we have Scatter and you're writing in to general discussion. I'm asking to understand what scatter you're talking about.

Correct, this is general feedback directed to the core functionality of Scatter, not necessarily C4D :) Obviously the additions im suggesting would end up in the Cinema plugin, but from my understanding the foundations have to be made to core before any plugin updates occur...?
3D Environment Artist
AaronWestwood
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Sun May 22, 2022 10:19 pm

aoktar Sun May 22, 2022 10:19 pm
Our Scatter is done by me and works without anything from Core. You should know it's with us long times before core feature. Core feature added by inspiration of it. And C4D implementation is far faster and more efficient. Anything goes to Core feature will not help us. Completely different developments.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby AaronWestwood » Sun May 22, 2022 10:22 pm

AaronWestwood Sun May 22, 2022 10:22 pm
aoktar wrote:Our Scatter is done by me and works without anything from Core. You should know it's with us long times before core feature. Core feature added by inspiration of it. And C4D implementation is far faster and more efficient. Anything goes to Core feature will not help us. Completely different developments.

Oh I didn’t know that! That’s super interesting, sorry for the confusion then. I havnt used any other version other than C4D so just assuming it was universal functionality.

In that case, all this feedback is directed at the C4D plugin directly.
3D Environment Artist
AaronWestwood
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Sun May 22, 2022 10:46 pm

aoktar Sun May 22, 2022 10:46 pm
No problem, just wanted to make clarification. Some of requests are possible, some hard to do. I'll put in to list without making any promises for timeline.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby AaronWestwood » Mon May 23, 2022 3:08 pm

AaronWestwood Mon May 23, 2022 3:08 pm
aoktar wrote:No problem, just wanted to make clarification. Some of requests are possible, some hard to do. I'll put in to list without making any promises for timeline.

Wonderful to hear! Being on the artist side I have no idea the back end of things so just thought to jot down what I see in other scattering tools and pray they are possible. Appreciate all the time you give to it, I'm happy to go into things more if it at all helps.

I posted this on the Facebook group also and the recption seemed to be all on the same page, we love our clones!
3D Environment Artist
AaronWestwood
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jobigoud » Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm

jobigoud Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm
Just to comment on this for users of standalone or other plugins, a few of these are possible in the standalone scatter tools. Some of these may also be already possible in C4D I think.

1. Object Assignment: you can plug the same object into different scatter nodes.
4. Randomisation of scale/rotation/position: you can do random picking within a range or using a map based on the UV of the underlying surface.
5. Scatter color correction: you should be able to color correct the cloned object and make use of the instance Id in the shading network to add variation between instances.
6. Source proximity color: You can get the instance position in a projection node and use it to sample a procedural 3D texture.
7. Feathering of the normal threshold/slope mask: Maybe there is a way by transforming the normal map and using it in the Culling map input.
11. Scatter on Scatter: you can use the output of one scattering to be the scattering surface of the next one, or to be the cloned object. In the first case the same scattering pattern will be applied on each instance of the upper level scatter.
12. Rail/Spline Scatter: you can scatter objects along hairs or onto particles. So if there is a way to convert the DCC splines into Octane hair primitives this should work.
jobigoud
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to General Discussion