Octane - Atmosphere and Volumes

Forums: Octane - Atmosphere and Volumes
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Octane - Atmosphere and Volumes

Postby AaronWestwood » Sun May 22, 2022 1:22 pm

AaronWestwood Sun May 22, 2022 1:22 pm
Hey hey,

I made a post over on FB which got some traction, thought to post here also.

Im going to copy and paste what I said there. Feel free to check it out over on FB: http://www.facebook.com/groups/OctaneRe ... 066238593/

Theres a post in the last day talking about intersecting volumes once again. Just thought to re-iterate that this is still a major issue. Im aware a 'solution' to this is turning off "Emulate Old Behavior" however the appearence from volumes using this isnt desirable/good. The look of Volumes with this on is fantastic, but we now get intersecting. We NEED to be able to have the look from volumes with the Old Volume Behavior ON, and be able to layer up volumes till our hearts are content without intersecting with variable step lengths, sizes and density's as layering this is so important.

A secondary point with doing large environment work, Octane DOESNT have a good workflow for natural atmospheric haze/absorption. You essentially need to create a massive volume KM's wide to fit a whole 1:1 scene in. This 10000% should be a feature of the daylight / HDRI rigs. Now that your whole scene is in a volume, positioning cloud layers/overlapping cloud types within this is such a huge pain point as so many problems can arise.

I really hope:

1. The daylight/HDRI rigs get a propper atmospheric system thats reactive/natural so we dont need to manually position a gigantic volume. The system in Corona, or Unreal, Or Arnold, Or Vray is something we NEED here in Octane. Here it is in Corona for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xhr62C7INM

We cant do this using the current volume tab within the rigs with anything large scale as the scene just gets coated in blackness no matter how low the values go. If the scene is too big, it will still be dark.

2. This rig would also benefit hugely from having propper and true gradated height fog.

3. The VDB system gets another overhaul to allow for intersecting volumes with the original volume appearence that allows various step lengths, density, volume scales, intersecting etc.

We can obviously get awesome environment renders using Octane, and all the above is managable in achieving that. But solutions to these issues would only increase that bar, give more creative freedom, and remove the pain points currently in the workflow.
3D Environment Artist
http://www.artstation.com/aaronwestwood
2 x 4090 // 13900KS // 96GB 5600mHz DDR5 // Windows 11
AaronWestwood
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane - Atmosphere and Volumes

Postby ramone163 » Sun May 22, 2022 11:46 pm

ramone163 Sun May 22, 2022 11:46 pm
+1
GPU: 980+1080+1080Ti; 3ds max;
Behance portfolio; Handmadefont.com;
ramone163
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thanulee » Mon May 23, 2022 11:01 am

thanulee Mon May 23, 2022 11:01 am
+1 I ve asked multiple times in c4d the Corona/Vray feature about distant fake fog. This will help so much instead of comping z to position passes etc etc
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AaronWestwood » Mon May 23, 2022 3:10 pm

AaronWestwood Mon May 23, 2022 3:10 pm
thanulee wrote:+1 I ve asked multiple times in c4d the Corona/Vray feature about distant fake fog. This will help so much instead of comping z to position passes etc etc

Jules commented on the FB post with a "We're on it" so fingers crossed. Getting a true atmos kit with reactive sky absorbtion, height fog, distant fog etc like in Corona/Vray is all we need! (not the mention the intersecting!)
3D Environment Artist
http://www.artstation.com/aaronwestwood
2 x 4090 // 13900KS // 96GB 5600mHz DDR5 // Windows 11
AaronWestwood
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Mon May 23, 2022 7:04 pm

haze Mon May 23, 2022 7:04 pm
Yes, we're investigating. Does anyone have any feedback on the Standard Volume workflow in 2022?
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Despot » Tue May 24, 2022 9:01 am

Despot Tue May 24, 2022 9:01 am
haze wrote:Yes, we're investigating. Does anyone have any feedback on the Standard Volume workflow in 2022?

I haven't tried this yet... how is this setup in Standalone ?

Also, I've asked this question twice in 2 different areas and it's not been answered.. so I'm going for 3RD time lucky and asking again here... ;)

I believe there is an Oren-Nayar BRDF type now, but it doesn't appear where you would expect it to be... is this only for the Arnold Surface ?

If that is the case, can you please add it as a BRDF type with Beckman/GGX etc please ? this exists in other renderers like Redshift / Corona / VRay.
Despot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thanulee » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:37 pm

thanulee Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:37 pm
Bumping this thread as I find the new volume behavior very slow and I cannot get a good look as before.

A scene file made with c4d s26 and 2021.1.6 for anyone interested to take a look:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vs6fd21wfvpx ... fu1Ia?dl=0

There are 2 videos also in this link which demonstrate the problems in 2 different scenarios.

Thanks!
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:47 am

haze Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:47 am
I already replied on FB but just so everyone else knows, we have some improvements coming in the next XB. Basically we keep the original legacy volume look but also keep the improvements on overlapping we've made. That said, it's still not a perfect solution and we're looking to do an overhaul of it in a next major version. You can still overlap up to a max of 16 volumes (do make sure your kernel's setting is correct for what you need) but you still need to make sure the step lengths match for the volumes that you want to overlap.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby henningricke » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:10 am

henningricke Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:10 am
This is definitely a big deal! Please, give us a simple way of adding atmosphere for large scale scenes without messig up cloud volumes!!!
henningricke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby henningricke » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:53 am

henningricke Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:53 am
haze wrote:I already replied on FB but just so everyone else knows, we have some improvements coming in the next XB. Basically we keep the original legacy volume look but also keep the improvements on overlapping we've made. That said, it's still not a perfect solution and we're looking to do an overhaul of it in a next major version. You can still overlap up to a max of 16 volumes (do make sure your kernel's setting is correct for what you need) but you still need to make sure the step lengths match for the volumes that you want to overlap.

Hi, I suppose 2022.1 doesn't have any improvements in the volumes jet, right?

I'm currently struggeling hard with those issues in 2021.1-6 and was wondering wether or not updating could help in any way.
henningricke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion