PC shutting off after Octane Render finishes

Forums: PC shutting off after Octane Render finishes
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

PC shutting off after Octane Render finishes

Postby Aymeric_FX » Mon May 16, 2022 6:04 am

Aymeric_FX Mon May 16, 2022 6:04 am
Hey everyone!
I recently upgraded my PC build recently to feature 4 x 3090 RTXs. I've got a custom loop for the heat + 2000w PSU and was doing some rendering out some scenes to see how they went and a few times the PC just suddenly shut down right after the render finished. Worst thing is, it didn't even save the image file to the PC so I didn't get anything out of it.
Is this something to do with my PSU not having enough power?

I'm running the latest version of Octane on Cinema 4D on Windows 10. My GPU cards are all up to date and I was monitoring the VRAM and GPU heat levels via GPU-Z and everything was working fine.

My PC specs are:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X
TRX40 AORUS XTREME
128GB Ram
4 x 3090 RTX
Custom loop
FSP CANNON PRO 2000W 80+ GOLD

I just ran GPU-Z and noticed the PerfCap Reason says Max Pwr - so that means the PSU is over powered?

Potential solution 01: I've been told to look into MSi Afterburner software and limit the power to 300 per card but I also want to get the max performance seeing as I used a tone of my savings for this build, it would be a shame to not to. But wanted to get some advice here first :)

Potential solution 02: Get a 2nd PSU

Potential solution 03: Undervolt the GPUs
(please have in mind that PC hardware is still relatively foreign to me, I know basics but not enough to start tweaking it myself, hence why I've come here for help).

Cheers!

Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments
Capture_03.PNG
Aymeric_FX
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: PC shutting off after Octane Render finishes

Postby Zay » Tue May 17, 2022 1:08 am

Zay Tue May 17, 2022 1:08 am
I had a similar problem that my PC would just cut the power while rendering after upgrading 1 of the cards to a 3080Ti.

I have a Corsair 1000 Watt PSU running 3 cards. 2x GTX1080 + 1 RTX3080Ti all factory overclocked. Now and then it would cut the power while rendering, so I under powered the cards with EVGA's Precision X1. After some trail and error the cards are now under powered from 100% to 70%, 73% and 90%. I haven't had a shutdown since then. And I strangely enough didn't loose that much rendering speed. A 2 minute render is now 2 minutes an 2 seconds.

Start 4 GPU-Z programs and set them to monitor each card. In GPU-Z check the "Board Power Draw" and set them to "Show highest reading". Then you can see how much watt each card draws. It's the spikes in the power draw that will shut down the PC.

You can adjust the power for each card with Precision X1 - or as you mentioned maybe with MSi Afterburner but I don't know that software.
-
gpuz.jpg
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion