Will the RTX 3080 work in Octane 4.05-R7?

Forums: Will the RTX 3080 work in Octane 4.05-R7?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: Will the RTX 3080 work in Octane 4.05-R7?

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:51 am

bepeg4d Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:51 am
Hi bverde84,
Quadro A4000 is an Ampere GPU so, the only solution is to install an Nvidia driver greater than 456.38, and run Octane 2020.2.1 or greater, with updated Otoy licenses.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby cybernoid » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:57 am

cybernoid Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:57 am
Hang on a minute. I haven't used Octane for a while and I go to use it with my new RTX3090 and it won't work? I understand I won't be able to use the latest and greatest Octane with RTX features without upgrading, and that's fine for now as I am ok with just using Octane 4.

But Octane 4 should still run fine on an RTX GPU as they still support prior Cuda versions. So what is going on?
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:50 am

bepeg4d Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:50 am
Nothing special, it is always the same, Nvidia makes the rules with CUDA, and Octane is following.
It was the same also with v2 and Pascal GPUs.
V4 is based on CUDA 10, while Ampere GPUs need at least CUDA 11.2, so there is no way yo use new GPUs with V4.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby cybernoid » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:06 pm

cybernoid Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:06 pm
NO WAY!!!! This is completely false information!

I program CUDA applications. My own CUDA programs written for CUDA 9/10 work absolutely fine without having to recompile on my RTX3090 with only the CUDA11 SDK installed! You can download nVidia's flex physics demo app an example that uses CUDA9 and it works fine on my RTX3090. And you can also see this described in nVidia's documentation on backward compatibility: https://docs.nvidia.com/deploy/cuda-compatibility/

You are either doing something strange or purposely obsoleting prior versions for no good reason!!!

Support your software, and fix this, and stop providing misinformation to customers!!! This is terrible!
Licensed Customer

Postby cybernoid » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:10 am

cybernoid Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:10 am
Yes I am sure.

I don't mean to be rude but you seem very confused if you are pointing me to the nvidia docs that I already linked you to that explicitly specify 'Drivers have always been backwards compatible with CUDA'. Maybe you are getting confused between backward and forward compatibility across GPU's and drivers?

Let me restate again that my _OWN_ cuda applications _I_ have written in C++ Cuda9/10 run just fine without recompiling with a later Cuda SDK on my Windows 10 64 bit PC with my new RTX3090. So if Octane 4 does not you have done something wrong, or you are artificially restricting and have broken it for no good reason. If you were hand coding specific parts of the code in PTX it is by design backward compatible too - this a major point of the Cuda ecosystem! Even if you had to resort to hand coding specific parts of the Octane kernels in Cuda SASS it would be such a small part of your kernel code that you could easily replace that part with PTX or Cuda C++ equivalents.

This is TERRIBLE support.

If I boot up the ID Software first person shooter game RAGE, and turn on GPU transcoding for its textures it works fine on my RTX 3090 - and it's GPU transcoding is using Cuda 6! Ditto with things like Adobe enabled transcoding and video software that uses older Cuda versions. And again you download the nvidia flex physics demo app that was compiled against Cuda9 and it works fine.

There is no way I am ever going to pay to upgrade to a later Octane version if you can't be trusted like this and can't support your products properly. You need to fix this.
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:39 am

abstrax Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:39 am
cybernoid wrote:NO WAY!!!! This is completely false information!

I program CUDA applications. My own CUDA programs written for CUDA 9/10 work absolutely fine without having to recompile on my RTX3090 with only the CUDA11 SDK installed! You can download nVidia's flex physics demo app an example that uses CUDA9 and it works fine on my RTX3090. And you can also see this described in nVidia's documentation on backward compatibility: https://docs.nvidia.com/deploy/cuda-compatibility/

You are either doing something strange or purposely obsoleting prior versions for no good reason!!!

Support your software, and fix this, and stop providing misinformation to customers!!! This is terrible!

For various reasons we are shipping CUDA kernels as binaries, which need to be compiled for the GPU architectures we support. If a new architecture comes along for which the kernels have not been built in an older version, that version won't support the new architecture. Ampere support was introduced in version 2020.1.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby cybernoid » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:13 am

cybernoid Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:13 am
Well to be frank this is terrible. The summary is you have bricked my license for Octane that I have paid for. I've been supporting Octane since v1, you are far past being a struggling startup, and you present yourself as very bad investment now as you don't support customers properly with this kind of behaviour.

I'm incredibly suspicious as now you have an OSX Metal version of Octane which isn't going to be using hand coded SASS is it. If you have mostly used backward compatible CUDA C++ than it should only be a relatively simple recompile for a new SASS binary. Even if the recompile resulted in an Octane that isn't as fast at least it would be properly supported like that.

From your replies on the forum you have made it seem like it's nVidia's (which I am sure they won't be happy about) rather than your own fault from the bad technical choices you have made.

Paying another 499 Euros to upgrade is not really attractive at all. Because you will just do this again won't you.
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:42 pm

Goldorak Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:42 pm
cybernoid wrote:Well to be frank this is terrible. The summary is you have bricked my license for Octane that I have paid for. I've been supporting Octane since v1, you are far past being a struggling startup, and you present yourself as very bad investment now as you don't support customers properly with this kind of behaviour.

I'm incredibly suspicious as now you have an OSX Metal version of Octane which isn't going to be using hand coded SASS is it. If you have mostly used backward compatible CUDA C++ than it should only be a relatively simple recompile for a new SASS binary. Even if the recompile resulted in an Octane that isn't as fast at least it would be properly supported like that.

From your replies on the forum you have made it seem like it's nVidia's (which I am sure they won't be happy about) rather than your own fault from the bad technical choices you have made.

Paying another 499 Euros to upgrade is not really attractive at all. Because you will just do this again won't you.

Going back and updating a 3 year old version of Octane is unfortunately impossible, you are not accounting for how complex or how much work this is - it is way more than a simple recompile - we have never updates V1, V2, or V3 for newer gen hardware, it's always been this way.

In 2018, I made it clear for the releases after V4 you needed to get either maintenance on top of V4 (with one time upgrade to 2020 as an extra option) or a sub to keep on latest Octane running on newer gen GPUs.

May I suggest just looking into a maintenance plan (which was 14.95/month at full discount at one point) - that is why we created it.

Thank you for understanding
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby cybernoid » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:43 am

cybernoid Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:43 am
When you say "maintenance plan" what does actually mean? I can see:

A) "Upgrade Licenses", 1 Year 499 Euros
B) "Extend Maintenance for licenses" 199 Euros

I don't understand the difference to me, and what happens after one year if either of those license options isn't renewed?

Right now I have Octane4 Standalone, Octane4 3dsmax, and one Octane1 standalone license. I only really care about using one license with 3dsmax on one PC with an RTX3090.

I have no idea of the past discount you speak of, and I am salty if that isn't an option for me now, as I have supported Octane since the start and now its effectively bricked for me due to bad support.
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion