How to make coloured shadows?

Forums: How to make coloured shadows?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

How to make coloured shadows?

Postby prodigiosovolcan » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:15 am

prodigiosovolcan Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:15 am
Hello, I'm trying to illuminate a scene with a simple white area light. However, I want the shadows to be coloured in purple/blue. I attach the reference and the render I'm trying to replicate.

I thought about Shadow pass, but I'm sure there has to be some way to do that directly in render. Actually, I saw there is a way in C4D lights and Redshift lights, but I didn't find how to do that in Octane.

Thank you!
Attachments
3.JPG
prodigiosovolcan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to make coloured shadows?

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:58 am

bepeg4d Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:58 am
Hi,
a possible solution is to use the DayLight node, and change the Sky Color to define the color of the shadows, and set the Sunset Color to light gray.
Probably you need to use the White Point picker to correct the white tint:
569CCEEE-3CEF-4B14-9B3E-588815188A5A.jpeg

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby prodigiosovolcan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:12 am

prodigiosovolcan Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:12 am
Thank you beppe, not sure if this could be implemented as a future feature with a property like "shadow color". Maybe this is nonsense in an unbiased render engine, but would add more creative options definitely.

Thanks again!
prodigiosovolcan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cjadams » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:15 pm

cjadams Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:15 pm
For example one thing I can think of that I keep wanting to do is come up with realistic Stained glass shadows and reflections!
cjadams
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:02 pm

elsksa Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:02 pm
prodigiosovolcan wrote:Hello, I'm trying to illuminate a scene with a simple white area light. However, I want the shadows to be coloured in purple/blue. I attach the reference and the render I'm trying to replicate.

I thought about Shadow pass, but I'm sure there has to be some way to do that directly in render. Actually, I saw there is a way in C4D lights and Redshift lights, but I didn't find how to do that in Octane.

Thank you!

Hello, there are two approaches:

1.The physically-plausible approach:
It follows the same physical/light laws as in reality: the colored shadow comes from the colored transmissive object.
There is also the "color bleeding" of colored object lit with a strong light - the surface lit by the strong light will be reflected on near surfaces. It is different from "colored shadows" (due to colored refractive properties of an object).

2. The non-physically-plausible approach:
There are various ways to achieve that, as it has been mentioned in the thread already - either via Octane or in post/compositing.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion