I miss the old volume approximation

Forums: I miss the old volume approximation
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

I miss the old volume approximation

Postby mattwilsonvel » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:03 pm

mattwilsonvel Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:03 pm
I have found myself missing the emulate old volume BIG time. The new method, while it certainly resolves overlapping volumes, seems much slower and less optimizable. Is there any light(haha) that can be shed on the difference and why that disappeared? The results before were top notch... and are now seemingly much more costly and difficult to tweak. Particularly, without that, I find it necessary to have much shorter step lengths to achieve the high probability of full intensity. If I make the step length too large I actually start loosing illumination in the volume. Decoupling the shadows rays do not achieve the same effect as before.

There also seems to be a bug with volume stacking and phase adjustments where you see slicing of the volume orthogonal to the angle of illumination from the sun when using sun angle as the input. It only seems to appear when you are first traversing through the BBox of another volume before hitting the one in question, even if that volume bound is void of any density.

I think I just need help understanding the difference so I might more efficiently go about recreating the old look that I really liked.

thanks in advance!
mattwilsonvel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: I miss the old volume approximation

Postby john_otoy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:27 pm

john_otoy Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:27 pm
Hi mattwilsonvel,

The following post contains some more details about the volume behaviour changes: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=77817

If you have a sample scene which demonstrates the bug you're running into, please PM an orbx/link to me and we can take a look at it.
john_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to General Discussion