I have decided to pack up my Mac and move to a PC. I have researched the below configuration and would love to hear your thoughts on this before I invest the money it is going to cost.
- Mac Pro Late 2013 (Trashcan)
2.7GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
2 x ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080TI ROG Strix Edition 11 GB, each one in its own AKiTiO Node Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure
PC I am looking to build
- 4 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11264MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card
1 x Gigabyte X399 Aorus Xtreme AMD X399 (Socket TR4) DDR4 E-ATX Motherboard
1 x AMD Ryzen Threadripper Eight Core 1900X 4.00GHz (Socket TR4) Processor
1 x be quiet! Dark Base 900 Full Tower Gaming Case - Black
1 x Super Flower Leadex Gold 1600W Fully Modular "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black
2 x Team Group Vulcan T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit (might up this to 64GB)
1 x be quiet! Silent Loop Superior Liquid CPU Cooler - 280mm
1 x be quiet TR4 Cooler Bracket
1 x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM Fan
1 x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM Fan
What are your thoughts? I have had loads of help over at overclockers from people more experienced in the PC realm putting this together, but wated to sense check it with actual Octane users aswell to get their take on it.
I did have some additional questions that I hope you might be able to advise on aswell:
1. Graphics card choices
As stated above, currently 2 x 1080Ti Strix (via TB2 > 3 on Mac), new setup - 4 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080Ti direct on PC motherboard.
- • Should I expect the new setup to completely blow this out of the water in terms of a octane bench score?
• I have been informed that I would not be able to fit 4 x 1080Ti Strix (my original idea for a setup) in a PC due to their physical size, but I could do 1x 1080Ti Strix & 2xGigabyte GeForce GTX 1080Ti. Would this be a more powerful combo??
2. AMD Ryzen Threadripper Eight Core vs an intel equivalent
- • What are your thoughts on this route vs an equivalent intel chip?
• The advice which I have been given, and currently trust unless I hear otherwise is that the AMD CPU will give me the PCIe lanes needed cheaply
Thanks for taking the time and replying if you do - I really appreciate it.