[feature idea] Alembic Attributes for scatter

Forums: [feature idea] Alembic Attributes for scatter
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

[feature idea] Alembic Attributes for scatter

Postby rray » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:25 pm

rray Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:25 pm
Hey everyone,

what I think Octane standalone is missing is a way of setting up a complex scatter network.. here's a mock-up screenshot of what I mean

The scatter would mostly be controlled by alembic point caches and the point attributes. In this setup I've selected 4 of the alembic point attributes that will be exposed to the node graph: transform, id, id_mat and color

The transform attribute scatters the objects using the placement node, similar to what the scatter node does in the current standalone. This places one object on every point of the point cloud, taking it's position, scaling and orientation.

The id attribute chooses the object geometry that's being instanced, using a (yet to have) "select geometry" node

The id_mat selects between two different materials for a part of the torus object using the "select material" node

The color attribute sets the color used for some of the materials

That is of course just one of many possible example setups. I think with other attribute types and networks this would open up standalone to a lot more options than what is possible right now (including animated scatter).

Let me know if this makes any sense :)

-ray
Core i7 980 x GTX 980
rray
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion