I just wanted to let you guys n gals know that this issue seems to have been solved, so I am sharing it with the greater 3D community as widely as possible. This happens to mobo's using more than a single GPU on a board with PLX chips (X99)
Our current workstations are using:
X99-E WS usb 3.1 (Bios 3803, but not likely required for the fix)
4 liquid cooled GTX 1080 TI's and misc I/O slots fully populated
1. We grabbed the Message-Signaled Interrupts Utility v2.0 from github
(pre compiled executable is also available) which enables MSI messaging over the BSOD-inducing line-based interrupts using Nvidia's latest driver branches beyond 382.33.
2. Extract MSI_util_v2.exe
3. Right-click MSI_util_v2.exe and Run as administrator (Or the pci-e devices and GPU's will not display)
4. Enable MSI for each GPU listed (Multiple similar GPU's should be stacked together) by clicking each GPU checkbox in the MSI column.
5. Click apply in the upper right corner, and Restart your workstation
6. Re-run the tool to to make sure MSI is still enabled
We have been hammering our workstations' GPU's for 13 hours straight using the latest 399.07 drivers and not a single crash occurred. This used to happen after minutes into a simple login.
Thanks for all you do!