C4D node editor now has FULL 3rd party SDK

Forums: C4D node editor now has FULL 3rd party SDK
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: aoktar

Re: C4D node editor now has FULL 3rd party SDK

Postby cjadams » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:00 pm

cjadams Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:00 pm
I agree the current node editor is awesome! But i would also agree that the way fwd with all of maxon's new efforts may require integration of the new node spaces workflow. So it's something that Jules needs to evaluate and toss $$ and resources at eventually i suspect. It would mean give current dev's extra help in doing this. - I too would prefer using the c4d new node spaces.. as well. especially with things like material x and usd/hydra stuff eventually ... just a thought.

Either way.. good to have such good choices these days!
cjadams
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby leehenshall » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:59 pm

leehenshall Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:59 pm
I'm stuck on R20. So I'm glad we have an Octane node editor as the new node editor is limited in R20 to physical render. It is also sluggish when loading compared to Ahmets.

I wanted to upgrade my perpetual to R21 but Maxon wanted nearly £1000 for the perpetual upgrade. I didn't think it was worth that much for R21 as I had only purchased 6 months before R21 was released, not to mention a subscription would be cheaper if that is the annual cost of perpetual now...... :roll: I guess I was just unlucky as Maxon were acquired in-between R20-R21 and I've been screwed by their changing policies/prices.

I'll probably bin my perpetual licence when I've had my monies worth (£3200!) from my R20 studio investment and buy a subscription. Until then I would very much like the Octane Node Editor to stick around.

In a way this is kind of Maxons fault for never including a node editor in C4D for all this time. Having previously used XSI, Maya & Max until I switched to C4D, I was very surprised to find that C4D didn't have one. Every third party plugin that needs one has had to develop their own on top of C4D....so weird....

I have two licenses of Redshift and their expresso driven node editor is garbage compared to Octanes node editor within c4d. I can understand why they would gladly abandon that....

Octane should probably consider integrating the Maxon node editor at some point but in a careful way....the current node editor works well and I don't want compatibility issues. From what I've read in RS forum certain nodes made with the Xpresso driven node editor in RS are not available/transferable to the shader graph space. This would mean needing to rebuild certain shaders in shader graph for legacy scenes.
leehenshall
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:26 pm

aoktar Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:26 pm
Thanks for great words and pointing positives for our node editor. It can be improved more in a timeline. And also wished to have it's native from many years back. But Maxon done it R21 for plugins. Until this time I spend much effort to implement via current material structures. It's not a layer just a editor in reality. And does not corrupt or interfere any structures. In short words, that's two ways over old material setups.
Other than this, integrating the current material system can be hard and distributive for stability. I'd love to see a simpler way from Maxon for new nodes. Unfortunately not.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby leehenshall » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:53 am

leehenshall Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:53 am
Thanks Ahmet. The Octane node editor is a nice workflow.

Rather than spending time going through the new node editor API. I think it would be far more beneficial to keep polishing your node editor for now at least until the Maxon node editor matures....there are reports of people saying it is far from perfect in the RS Forum. In addition to that I think implementing ORBX materials would be far more beneficial to Octane users.

That way we can completely bypass C4D for authoring materials by using a Standalone interface instead. The Octane node editor integrates perfectly with C4D's non-nodal material editor which is really good. That may change if Maxon start changing things up by forcing the new node editor in the future though.....Currently we have two material spaces in C4D node space and non node space which is confusing and not very production friendly.

The beauty of using ORBX materials is that it doesn't matter what Maxon do to on their side, we will always have expected functionality via the SA node space using the ORBX material as a handy container.
leehenshall
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to User requests