******* Wishlist and feedback topic ********

Forums: ******* Wishlist and feedback topic ********
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: aoktar

Re: ******* Wishlist and feedback topic ********

Postby xcaseyx » Tue May 03, 2016 4:28 pm

xcaseyx Tue May 03, 2016 4:28 pm
I would absolutely love a way to duplicate complicated material chains, example.

Screenshot on 5.3.2016 at 9.18.17 AM.png
node graph

Id like to copy this entire chain, and be able to paste it so that I can keep this exact flow, and then be able to swap out the image textures.
xcaseyx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby zinogino » Tue May 10, 2016 6:11 am

zinogino Tue May 10, 2016 6:11 am
xcaseyx wrote:I would absolutely love a way to duplicate complicated material chains, example.

Screenshot on 5.3.2016 at 9.18.17 AM.png

Id like to copy this entire chain, and be able to paste it so that I can keep this exact flow, and then be able to swap out the image textures.

TBH I would wish to see the node graph editor be somewhat similar to substance designer node graph's. It's really good and you have the option to dock graph's which makes working with ton's of materials with EASE!
zinogino
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FlowFireGames » Wed May 11, 2016 7:26 am

FlowFireGames Wed May 11, 2016 7:26 am
Hello, here my suggestions, mostly simple ones

- Please let us somehow choose which color is displayed for alpha in the picture viewer. The default is black and rendering out black shadows and similar things are impossible to check
(Also, if you disable render passes, the alpha color is white, while enabled it is black for some reason) - Please let us use the C4D background to set a alpha color like C4D does or a setting in the octane menu, this is important to combat color bleeding/ghosting

- The bloom and glare effects should have a threshold slider, which is very basic for bloom effects. Without it is often not possible to use the bloom or glare effect without overblowing much of the image

- Please give us a way of rendering out the beautiy pass with the other render passes into one file. Currently I have to combine black shadows and beauty pass painfully for hundreds of rendered images afterwards. This would also be generally nice for many other cases.

- Image textures should probably be pre applied the materials just like in the HDRI environment

- Please let us choose an angle modifier for the smoothing in the material just like the C4D phong, having just a binary option is very limiting.

- The specular color and the float slider interact very strangely, this should be looked at

Naming:
Index should be named to Refraction Index or similar.
The name convention of the 3 material types is also very confusing. In the material itself, you use specular for brightness of reflections.
But then in the 3 materials, you choose the name Specular for a refractive material, but there you don't use the name specular for reflection strength, but the correct "reflection"

So I suggest renaming the specular in the glossy material to reflection and the specular material to or translucent or such.

It would also be amazing to have Diffuse, Specular, Roughness and Index in one single tab. There is plenty of space in the material editor, even with textures or such applied, and having to tab trough 4 submenus for each of those wastes a lot of time.
This could easily make material creation a multitude as fast, and also would make a distinction between the most important ones that every material needs to adjust, and the optional ones that are more rarely used, such as opacity or displacement.
I think it is arnold, which does this, and its very convenient and much faster, and also easier to pick up for new users to understand.
FlowFireGames
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FlowFireGames » Wed May 11, 2016 8:25 am

FlowFireGames Wed May 11, 2016 8:25 am
Here I made a mockup of how I imagined the material editor to look like

(ignore my input values)
- The core values/texture inputs are clearly distinguished from the rest and way easier to to understand and find in the left menu.
- Diffuse roughness and spec and IOR are in the same menu, with image textures preapplied. I collapsed the image texture tabs for readability but they could also be extended.
This allows for much faster and more comfortable working with materials while losing nothing.

Best regards,
Eric
FlowFireGames
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Wed May 11, 2016 2:17 pm

aoktar Wed May 11, 2016 2:17 pm
FlowFireGames wrote:Hello, here my suggestions, mostly simple ones

- Please let us somehow choose which color is displayed for alpha in the picture viewer. The default is black and rendering out black shadows and similar things are impossible to check
(Also, if you disable render passes, the alpha color is white, while enabled it is black for some reason) - Please let us use the C4D background to set a alpha color like C4D does or a setting in the octane menu, this is important to combat color bleeding/ghosting

You can check it in LV. PV is for output and limited to do somethings and destroy the outputs.
a1.jpg

Image textures should probably be pre applied the materials just like in the HDRI environment

It's not good idea to limit for single-user request. Also it's not safe to pre-create texture in materials. You can easily do it by a script.

Naming:
Index should be named to Refraction Index or similar.
The name convention of the 3 material types is also very confusing. In the material itself, you use specular for brightness of reflections.
But then in the 3 materials, you choose the name Specular for a refractive material, but there you don't use the name specular for reflection strength, but the correct "reflection"

So I suggest renaming the specular in the glossy material to reflection and the specular material to or translucent or such.

There is a naming format which comes from standalone. And all plugins use same names.
Also Octane actually have 3 basic material types and also mix and portal materials. I have packed 3 types to one material for practical usage purposes. Material type makes quick switching without loosing the parameters.

- The bloom and glare effects should have a threshold slider, which is very basic for bloom effects. Without it is often not possible to use the bloom or glare effect without overblowing much of the image
- Please let us choose an angle modifier for the smoothing in the material just like the C4D phong, having just a binary option is very limiting.

They are belong to standalone not plugins. Also you should use phong tag for this, not this parameter. It's just a quick switch for on/off.

- Please give us a way of rendering out the beautiy pass with the other render passes into one file. Currently I have to combine black shadows and beauty pass painfully for hundreds of rendered images afterwards. This would also be generally nice for many other cases.

For example what are you trying? This is a special purpose pass for compositing the 3d over 2d. It works different than others.

- The specular color and the float slider interact very strangely, this should be looked at

How strange?
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby brasco » Wed May 11, 2016 4:23 pm

brasco Wed May 11, 2016 4:23 pm
Hi Ahmet,

Not a major problem but one that's popped up a few times recently for me:

Can we have the Render Time Limit:
based on the Octane Render time stats and only after it has loaded the scene?

Currently the first frame, on a lot of animations I've done, include the scene load time as well as the render time so the frame finishes too soon and doesn't get the same time to resolve as the other frames.

cheers
brasc
Rig#1 Win 10 x64 | GTX 1080Ti | GTX 1080Ti | GTX 1080Ti | i7 7900K 4.7GHz | 64GB
Rig#2 Win 10 x64 | GTX 1080Ti | GTX 1080Ti | GTX 1080Ti | i7 3930K 4.4GHz | 32GB
Rig#3 Win 10 x64 | GTX 1070| GTX 1070| GTX 1070| i7 2600K 4.8GHz | 32GB
brasco
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Wed May 11, 2016 9:05 pm

aoktar Wed May 11, 2016 9:05 pm
brasco wrote:Hi Ahmet,

Not a major problem but one that's popped up a few times recently for me:

Can we have the Render Time Limit:
based on the Octane Render time stats and only after it has loaded the scene?

Currently the first frame, on a lot of animations I've done, include the scene load time as well as the render time so the frame finishes too soon and doesn't get the same time to resolve as the other frames.

cheers
brasc

Maybe better to change it like you wish. I'll check it soon.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby eyeonestudio » Sat May 14, 2016 6:38 am

eyeonestudio Sat May 14, 2016 6:38 am
Octane Light Lister......

This is C4D LightList Plugin.
2016-05-14_15-28-14.png

Octane User are interested in the "Samples, Power, Temperature".
Specially Samples & Power.
Balance of Samples & Power is important for the Scene Lighting.
I want to compare in a single window
So.... If you wish to "Octane Light Lister" need to be created specifically for Octane User.

List For Emit Material, HDRI or Texture Environment, Daylight, Area(IES, Targeted)

Select : Select Light, Emit Material, Env(Texture, HDRI)
On/Off : Light Generate On/Off
Name : Source Name
Power : Light Power
Sample : Very Important.... I guess
Temperature : Count.
Camera visibility : On/off
Shadow visibility : On/off
General visibility : Count.

C
Last edited by eyeonestudio on Wed May 18, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
CINEMA 4D R2023
Win10 / 10GbE / AMD3995X*2ea, AMD3990X*2ea, 10980XE*2ea / 256Gb RAM / RTX3090*14ea
eyeonestudio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

White Balance GUI

Postby iainchudleigh » Wed May 18, 2016 8:45 am

iainchudleigh Wed May 18, 2016 8:45 am
Hello!
First of all I would like to say you have done an amazing job on the plugin so far, it really is great to work with.

One feature that I have noticed is missing is a White Balance picker in the GUI menu. I saw that this was in the 3D Studio Max plugin and looked incredibly useful.

3DS Max - White Balance.png
Screenshot of 3DS Max live viewer with the white balance option highlighted

I would love this feature to be implemented into the next version as I think it would speed up workflow a lot.

Iain.
iainchudleigh
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mudakisa » Fri May 20, 2016 12:27 pm

mudakisa Fri May 20, 2016 12:27 pm
Vertex Map +1
mudakisa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext