Render queue speed with many textures

Forums: Render queue speed with many textures
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: aoktar

Render queue speed with many textures

Postby boxfx » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:30 pm

boxfx Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:30 pm
Our biggest headache during production, is dealing with the c4d render queue, for any project with many texture images.

When a native c4d render engine project uses an image sequence texture (eg 2000 jpg images for a tv screen in a room), it only ever checks the first frame of the sequence, and simply assumes that all the other frames will be present. when doing this in octane though, every texture frame is checked one by one when adding a project to the render queue. You can see this by checking the c4d built in project asset inspector, this mirrors what the render queue is doing behind the scenes.

So, if I add a c4d engine project to the render queue, it might take 5 seconds to load the scene and add it to the queue. If I do this with an octane project, depending how many textures I am using, it will take 5-20 minutes to add the project into the queue. Until then c4d is frozen. Doing this maybe 4-5 times for different camera angles, takes, passes, versions... I can wait an hour to add a few projects into the render queue.

Is there anything that can be done from your side? something in the c4d api to say "hey, this is a sequence, dont check every frame, trust me" rather than the current "here's 2000 textures, check them all please"
boxfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Render queue speed with many textures

Postby aoktar » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:03 pm

aoktar Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:03 pm
I'm checking that to see whether doing it or not. But I cannot see minutes when I add any big projects to render queue, just seconds on the scenes with 1 Gb textures. I need some examples about your case and a video capture. Feel free to send it to me by PM.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to User requests