How to build Octane Nodes Material from PBR textures?

Forums: How to build Octane Nodes Material from PBR textures?
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: aoktar

How to build Octane Nodes Material from PBR textures?

Postby anthonyhague » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:54 pm

anthonyhague Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:54 pm
Hello

So ive got a a fair few tutorials on Nodes building in Octane C4D but in all tutorials the teacher seems to be going off on a mad Node rampage. As a complete beginner im looking for an Octane Node tutorial that starts off with the basics of what to do with the 4-6 textures that normally come in the folder of a free PBR material?

Please can someone tell me how to build a basic material from the usual jpegs that come in a PBR folder like: Is there a tutorial?

-Colour
-Disp
-Gloss
-Norm
-Reflec
-Metallic
-AO

Normally I find 6 different JPEGS in a PBR material folder max but here ive probably duplicated one as they often use different names. But if someone could find me a tutorial on how to get started with the basic textures and build the Octane Node id very much appreciate it :)
anthonyhague
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to build Octane Nodes Material from PBR textures?

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:53 am

bepeg4d Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:53 am
Hi,
here is a classic PBR setup with octane Universal material.
All the maps are connected directly to the Universal material, a part from the Displacement map that needs to be firstly connected to a Displacement node, and Color-Albedo + AO, that need to be connected to a Multiply node:
9965AE3E-90F6-4898-956B-74617B2E83C2.jpeg

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby anthonyhague » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:45 am

anthonyhague Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:45 am
Thanks Beppe, that’s exactly what I needed. Now I know the basics I can work from there onwards.
anthonyhague
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:00 am

elsksa Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:00 am
Hello anthonyhague,

On top of the useful Beppe screenshot, below are a few additional resources and information:

The PBR Guide by Allegorithmic
https://substance3d.adobe.com/tutorials/courses/the-pbr-guide-part-1
https://substance3d.adobe.com/tutorials/courses/the-pbr-guide-part-2

Important notes:
• I do not have a link for this one but it is important to differentiate a "Specular" vs "Metallic (metalness)" Workflow. The above Guide pages should contain this information.
• It is recommended to set the "BSDF Model" to "GGX (energy preserving)"

Fundamentals of "color-management", generally speaking and in Octane:
https://www.elsksa.me/scientia/cgi-offline-rendering/cgi-color-management-survival-kit
https://www.elsksa.me/scientia/cgi-offline-rendering/octane-render-color-management

Octane is based on universal "PBR" shading principles and has notable similitude with other renderers, in case you find an external resource that is not about Octane, it should be able to translate it to Octane, close-enough.

Do not hesitate if you have any [basic] questions. Feel free to also join the official Octane Discord server.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby anthonyhague » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:03 pm

anthonyhague Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:03 pm
Hi Elska

Those links you gave me are great, thanks. I’m already learning Sub Paint but I realised I had to learn the absolute Basics because without knowing where to start I wouldn’t understand how to replicate results and that’s how my brain works. My friend James Vella has made an application to turn quality photographs into PBR textures (they need to be shot flat), so hopefully I’ll learn to digitise real world textures.

Thanks for offering to answer questions, I might be back. Cheers
anthonyhague
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby anthonyhague » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:33 pm

anthonyhague Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:33 pm
Hi Elska - I thought you were sending me tutorials on learning the basics of building Octane PBR nones but its very interesting info on PBR's.

Ive got Beginning PBR Texturing e-book -Learning PBR with Allegorithmic's Substance Painter by Abhishek Kumar. Is that good too?

Truthfully I wasn't going to look too deeply into the details of PBR as long as I know the basics behind what the terms mean for the maps, then learn how to plug them in to the Universal Node with Beppe's guide, then I was going to learn more about the different Nodes and have a play. Then once ive got that locked in I was going to learn Substance Painter. Question: but if you have a better suggestion for the best method of learning the basics, please advise me?
anthonyhague
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to User requests