Animate Noise Shader

Forums: Animate Noise Shader
Sub forum for help and tutorials.

Moderator: aoktar

Animate Noise Shader

Postby Lubo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Lubo Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:14 pm
Hello,
how can animate the c4d noise shader "Wavy Turbulence". Play around with the values of "Animation Speed" "Movement" "Speed" but nothing happens.
Is it even possible to animate c4d shaders with octane or is there a workaround for octane?

Thank you

Best regards
Lubo
Lubo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Animate Noise Shader

Postby aoktar » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:48 pm

aoktar Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:48 pm
I think you need to understand some basics of plugin.
It's a state engine and waits some change messages for every texture/material or any objects. You don't have anything like that in your usage. You may add keyframes to parameters of material or this texture..

Second, using any C4D shader is not adviced due thats requiring a pre-rendering to images and losing the render time/features and quality.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Lubo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:03 pm

Lubo Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:03 pm
Thank you aoktar,

so I have to use the green node "Noise", set the Type to Turbulence and animate the UVWs?

Best regards
Lubo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:08 pm

frankmci Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:08 pm
Lubo wrote:Thank you aoktar,

so I have to use the green node "Noise", set the Type to Turbulence and animate the UVWs?

Best regards

No, you don't have to limit yourself to the Octane noise nodes. You can use the C4D noise shaders, but to clarify what Ahmet said, you have to set some keyframes for an attribute on the node so that the Octane engine knows it needs to update the material between frames. The non-keyframed settings in the C4D node won't trigger a "change of state" to the Octane engine. To trigger Octane, it can be almost anything that is keyframed. For instance, I might use an Animation Speed of 2 on a Wavy Turbulence to do the actual texture animation in a C4D Noise node, but Octane won't update that shader node until I also add keyframes to some attribute on it, at the beginning and end of the frame range I need to animate. Those keyframes don't have to really do anything other than tell Octane, "Hey, Octane, something is changing here. Pay attention!" I'll usually do something like animate one axis of the Noise Movement channel between some very small values, like 0 - 0.001, or make a tiny adjustment to the Scale. But in my experience, you can use C4D Noise with no problems. Native Octane noise might be slightly faster, but it currently only offers four types of noise, as opposed to C4D's Noise which has something like 24-25 types.

- Frank
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Help / Tutorials