TRAINING: OctaneRender For Cinema 4D

Forums: TRAINING: OctaneRender For Cinema 4D
Sub forum for help and tutorials.

Moderator: aoktar

Re: TRAINING: OctaneRender For Cinema 4D

Postby inlifethrill » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:24 am

inlifethrill Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:24 am
I am not really sure what you mean.

The very few settings left without visual examples but are only spoken of, are such that do not strictly change the look of the render. These are fine-tuning tools, rather meant to affect sampling calculations which are of secondary importance and higly depend on the current project. They rarely manifest visually or as render time time boosters. Giving you the math and alogrithms behind them is beyond the scope of this training. There is no other way to inform you of their existence but "talking" about them. Using the defaults of such parameters is often recommended.

Additionally, there is a pretty good example of how to optmize (improve speed while reducing fireflies and other visual artefacts) for Path Tracing / PMC.
Due to the nature of Direct Lighting and InfoChannels such actions are rarely needed. You got everyting you need to know (and everything that matters) for rendering images quickly and noise free, without sacrificing quality.

If you expect the VRay way of doing things - with a 100 parameters and black magic skills, well this is not the case. Image quality in Octane is controled via a very few parameters, which were clearly explained and demonstrated in the respective chapters

So yes, I will say it again - do experiment with the settings that matter. Values will be different based on your lighting and material set ups. I cannot give you some hard-coded numbers that magically work for every scenario. You are shown how and when to use the proper tools. It is up to your fair judgement to put them to good use.

Please, let me know which "crucial aspects" of the render settings were ignored. I will gladly take the time to clarify their uasge if needed.

Once you find a place or resourse that explains render settings better - do share! I will be thrilled to check it out.

Thanks for your time.
Dobs
inlifethrill
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mips » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:35 pm

mips Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:35 pm
Hello bonjour

I just bought your training and found it very interesting.
But I have some difficulty to redo some lessons (05 et 06in lightning for exemple) and I really wish you added all the scenes. It would have been a great help.
The only scene provided is not very intertesting.
mips
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ten » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:24 pm

ten Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:24 pm
Purchased this a while back but only got round to watching it the other day.

Great little intro to o4c4d and taught me a bunch of little things I didnt know about yet.

Really hoping you do a follow up tutorial with more advanced uses of the software. A section on the render passes and how to use them/set them up in an external application would be most helpful.

Many thanks!

ten
( PC ) i7 5960x octal 4.5ghz / 64GB / 2x Titan X 12GB / 1x 780 6GB - ( Laptop ) i7 4790k 4ghz / 32GB / 980M 8GB - Octane CD4 2.x / C4DR16.x / win 8.x
ten
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby inlifethrill » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:37 am

inlifethrill Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:37 am
It's coming. Good to hear the training was useful.

Cheers!
inlifethrill
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby garytyler » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:06 am

garytyler Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:06 am
I would love a video on the buffers haha. Haven't started using them yet but hope to soon.
Win 8.1 / C4D R16 / Maya '16 / 5x GTX 980 Ti
garytyler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby inlifethrill » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:03 pm

inlifethrill Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:03 pm
garytyler wrote:I would love a video on the buffers haha. Haven't started using them yet but hope to soon.

Your timing couldn't be better :)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44911

Enjoy!
Dobs
inlifethrill
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Help / Tutorials