Octane Crashes Cinema when using more than one GPU

Forums: Octane Crashes Cinema when using more than one GPU
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: aoktar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)
H. A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it (Include Screenshots or video capture), as well as an example scene if applicable.
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended).

Please note that reports of issues inside existing threads will be ignored/removed, and reports may be closed if the reporter does not respond to subsequent queries in the thread.

Octane Crashes Cinema when using more than one GPU

Postby jameskowalski » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:43 pm

jameskowalski Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:43 pm
Hi all, I've been using the Octane demo to get a feel for the workflow for the last couple of weeks.

I instantly hit a snag when trying to use the octane live viewer with multiple GPUs enabled. Any time I'm using the card that's running my display, with use priority checked or not, Cinema crashes. It doesn't matter how simple, or complex the scene is, if I move the camera, or update a texture, C4d will freeze up. Sometimes I can adjust the camera a few times before crashing, but crashes seem to be inevitable for me when using my main card.

When using only my second GPU without use priority checked, everything runs perfectly. I've never had a crash in this configuration, but I'd really like to be able to use both of my cards.

I have 2 gtx 1080s, c4d R16, windows 10, SLI disabled.

I'm hoping this is just the demo that's giving me trouble, but it's making me a bit hesitant to purchase a license.

Thank you,
james
jameskowalski
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Crashes Cinema when using more than one GPU

Postby aoktar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:58 am

aoktar Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:58 am
Hard to estimate what's your issue. Do you have any bugreport.zip which is generated by crashes?
Delete oct.dat from prefs folder and run C4D. Then try to reproduce the issue. Also try to remove all other plugins try again.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby HelgeKiehl » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:42 pm

HelgeKiehl Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:42 pm
Hey, i also have a similar problem.

first of all running on:
Latest win 10 64 pro (1703 build 15063.296)
4 gtx 1080 Ti 11GB (nvidia 384.76)
32 GB Ram DDR5
Xeon E5 v4 @ 3.60
Asus x99 E WS board latest intel chip driver / Bios

C4d Plug & Standalone 3.06.2
C4D R18.048 (Build RB197636

Sample Crash Bluescreen Watchdog violation
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuejurycn8tep ... h.mp4?dl=0

one of the few logs i could get (no bluescreen)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfeezcjh3ztlc ... 8.log?dl=0

The scene is really not that complicated and its just an example. every scene crashes.
to explain. when i deactivate all other three GPUs it works flawless. the minute i add one more the system freezes and i get the bluescreen.
if im lucky and i don't get the bluescreen in every other scene i can finish the image in the picture viewer. when i want to continue work and start the live viewer i get the Render Failure! in red.
then i have to close C4D restart it and it works again. every time like clockwork. One render in the Picture viewer and i have to restart C4d. whats new ist from yesterday on i get the Bluescreen every time in the picture viewer but ONLY if i use multiple GPUS.

i tested each card seperate and rendered the scene without a problem.

Hope this makes sense. The Scene btw renders on every other machine in the Studio. i Thought it might be a problem with the 1080s but i swapped them for Titan blacks today and got the same results. I also installed windows fresh and still have the same issues so im kinda out of options.

i changed the Bios settings to use 4G Overflow & Advanced settings but that didn't Help. Also updated the Bios to newest Version and Intel Chipset to newest version.

Thank you!

Helge
HelgeKiehl
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:24 pm

aoktar Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:24 pm
You may have hardware issues. I'm not hardware expert but bluescreen means that a driver crash or having defects on hardware(Gpus/psu or mainboard).

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby HelgeKiehl » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:19 am

HelgeKiehl Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:19 am
ok, ill will have the hardware checked.

thank you!
HelgeKiehl
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby proundkontra » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:46 pm

proundkontra Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:46 pm
Hi Helge

Could you figure out what caused the crashes? I have got the exact same problems.
nikoeriksson.ch| i7 6x3.5 Ghz | 64GB | 2 x GTX 1080Ti Hybrid , 1x GTX 980Ti Hybrid | Win 10 | C4D R19.068 | Octane Render Plugin C4D v3.08.4
proundkontra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jameskowalski » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:38 pm

jameskowalski Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:38 pm
Well, I purchased a license despite the crash issues when using both 1080s. But the issue still persists even in the full version. Anytime I have both cards enabled, regardless of priority settings, C4d will predictably crash after moving the camera at all (dolly, zoom, orbit). So far I do seem to be able to use both cards when rendering to the picture viewer, just not the octane live viewer.

The problem also seems to predictably happen when I'm only using the card that is responsible for also running my monitor, and not using my secondary card at all. I've tried switching the cards so the secondary is now the primary (running the display) and the result is exactly the same.

I have the most recent Nvidia driver (384.94).

Please help! I can supply a crash report if necessary.
jameskowalski
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:42 pm

aoktar Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:42 pm
What's crash type and how's log output or screenshots?
What's OS?
Have you tried to do a clean install of older whql drivers?
Or stability tests? For ex. by Octanebench...
Also test if on software opengl mode of C4D to see that crash is still persist.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Bug Reports