Remove Unused Materials Removes Mix Components

Forums: Remove Unused Materials Removes Mix Components
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: aoktar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)
H. A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it (Include Screenshots or video capture), as well as an example scene if applicable.
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended).

Please note that reports of issues inside existing threads will be ignored/removed, and reports may be closed if the reporter does not respond to subsequent queries in the thread.

Remove Unused Materials Removes Mix Components

Postby jayroth » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:52 pm

jayroth Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:52 pm
The C4D command "Removed Unused Materials" removes all scene materials that are used as components of a mixed material, if these same materials are used for mix materials only. If a mix material component is directly assigned to a mesh, then the material is not deleted when the Remove Unused Materials command is used.

Cinema has no way to know if a material that is a sub-component of another material is actually used by another Octane material. Is there some way for Octane to flag these materials as active, even if they are not directly assigned?
CaseLabs Mercury S8 / ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS / Crucial 64GB 2133 DDR4 / 2 XEON E5-2687W v3 3.1 GHz / EVGA 1600 P2 / 2 EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Cinema 4D

Is it fast? Oh, yeah!
jayroth
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Remove Unused Materials Removes Mix Components

Postby aoktar » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:20 pm

aoktar Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:20 pm
Look to Octane's Remove Unused Materials command.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jayroth » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:33 pm

jayroth Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:33 pm
Understood, but the issue that I have is somewhat different: this asset started with the intention to render in Cinema, and as such had Cinema materials. Next, I had migrated the asset into Arnold, and I was going to render with that. Through some online prompting, I was urged to try Octane, and gradually got the materials (mainly skin and hair) to the point to where I was happy (it didn't take too long). Ultimately, I have decided to render this entire project with Octane, but as a result, I have quite a bit of a materials mess on my hands, which is why I tried the Cinema command (a natural workflow). The fact that the command removed valuable material components was something I didn't realize until just before I wrote that message earlier today. It turns out this has been vexing me for a few days prior, as I did not initially catch the problem.

I appreciate that there is an Octane-supplied method to remove unused Octane materials, but as you can see above, that is not what I was trying to do, and I consider the current behavior as described a bug, and I suspect that most Cinema users would have the same opinion.

I am sure that Maxon would work with you to upgrade the SDK at some point down the line to allow you to correctly handle this case, or perhaps there is already a methodology for doing so.
CaseLabs Mercury S8 / ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS / Crucial 64GB 2133 DDR4 / 2 XEON E5-2687W v3 3.1 GHz / EVGA 1600 P2 / 2 EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Cinema 4D

Is it fast? Oh, yeah!
jayroth
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:55 pm

aoktar Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:55 pm
I see but i can't call it as a "BUG". Bug is unexpected behaviour or some crash on codes. On Maxon's side, i'm not sure what they think about a better material system(nodes). Year is 2015, next version is R17. Only big software without support for a node system.

Also there is very interesting thing in C4D structure. It's nearly ready to support this system. Think that i could wrote a Node Editor after a few fails. Took about one year to find a stable method. In short, C4D's some functions ignores some required connections to make us happy. Like connection to other materials from some slots.

I would like to see more close support to improve things. We can ask and get some answers and helps via developer forums. That's very good but not perfect. Also we still have some missing things which requires a solution. Ex: Arnold could provide final output of hair rendering in IPR window but i couldn't found a proper way. That's a sample for situation.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mcaballeroadv » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:45 am

mcaballeroadv Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:45 am
Could this be a quick fix implemented in future updates? This issue always gets me and I have to go back to the original scene and find all my materials for my mixes. It seems like it would be a very easy fix to add an exception for mix materials
mcaballeroadv
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports