octane light dimensions are changing while using Takes

Forums: octane light dimensions are changing while using Takes
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: aoktar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)
H. A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it (Include Screenshots or video capture), as well as an example scene if applicable.
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended).

Please note that reports of issues inside existing threads will be ignored/removed, and reports may be closed if the reporter does not respond to subsequent queries in the thread.

octane light dimensions are changing while using Takes

Postby epciani » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:47 am

epciani Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:47 am
Is it just me or switching between c4d TAKES octane light dimensions are changing size?
can i still use X and Y size dimensions in the DETAIL tab?

Win 11 Pro build 22621
64GB ram
Nvidia A5000
driver 531.18
OctaneRender for C4D 2021.1.6 R4
Cinema4D 2023 1.3
epciani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: octane light dimensions are changing while using Takes

Postby aoktar » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:09 am

aoktar Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:09 am
Please do proper reports if this is a bug report! Or use another section if it's not. Thanks!
Show us your problem with images/videos and scene. And note that Octane light is just C4D light with Octane Light tag.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby epciani » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:33 am

epciani Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:33 am
sorry aoktar, I thought it was easy to understand.
If I make a change light dimensions in TAKE 1 this shouldn't affect light dimensions in take 2
using just c4d lights this doesn't happen, so I thought it was a bug.
epciani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby boxfx » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:32 pm

boxfx Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:32 pm
This is a c4d bug, nothing to do with octane, it affects any rectangle area light. C4D area lights have 3 parameters which control their size. The X and Y size on the details tab and the Outer radius control above it. The problem is that these numbers all interact, and when you change the width of the light in a take, it also adjusts the outer radius setting. Because changing the height doesnt record outer radius values, any take where you change only the height, breaks when coming back from another take where you adjusted the width... Its stupid, the outer radius setting has no reason to exist.

Personally I do this for multiple lighting shots in the object manager:

takes.png

I put all shots inside a hidden null. For each take, I set the shot number null to green so it shows up and enable the camera inside. You can now adjust the camera and lighting with takes turned off, safely knowing that one take wont break the others. It also stops your viewport getting filled with lights and cameras from other takes.

Maxon are aware of the problem... however its been 4 years, so don't hold your breath.
boxfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby epciani » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:20 pm

epciani Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:20 pm
thank you boxfx!
epciani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports