Cinema4D Noise created in Standalone not working via LiveDB

Forums: Cinema4D Noise created in Standalone not working via LiveDB
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: aoktar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)
H. A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it (Include Screenshots or video capture), as well as an example scene if applicable.
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended).

Please note that reports of issues inside existing threads will be ignored/removed, and reports may be closed if the reporter does not respond to subsequent queries in the thread.

Cinema4D Noise created in Standalone not working via LiveDB

Postby speltrong » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:01 pm

speltrong Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:01 pm
If you create a Noise4D node in C4D Octane, attach it to a material, and put it in the LocalDB, you can load that material back into C4D Octane and it works. You can also load it into Standalone and it works (as a "Cinema 4D Noise" type node there).

If you download that material to Standalone, edit it, and post it back to the LocalDB (or LiveDB), when you open it again in C4D Octane, that node is missing.

If you create a new material in Standalone, add a Cinema 4D Noise to it, save it in the LocalDB/LiveDB, and open it in C4D Octane, the Cinema 4D Noise node is missing.

It doesn't appear that you can post materials from C4D Octane to the LiveDB, so this could be an issue if you have to go through Standalone to post it and want to use that material in C4D.

Win10 Home 21H2, RTX3080 Mobile 16GB, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA 516.94, Standalone version 2021.1.5 (also v2022.1 XB4), C4DOctane v2022.1-XB3-(R4), C4D version R26.015
speltrong
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Cinema4D Noise created in Standalone not working via LiveDB

Postby aoktar » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:09 pm

aoktar Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:09 pm
C4D noise has not any equivalent on Octane side. It's exporting as OSL script or baked texture. This depends to your node settings. So imported node will be OSL script or imagetexture.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby speltrong » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:10 pm

speltrong Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:10 pm
@aoktar: Did a whole lot more testing in 2021.1.5 (R26), and there are two issues at hand here:

1. Any nodes plugged into the following channels in the Universal Material disappear when the material is added to the LocalDB and then recalled back to the scene:
{Main Channels} Bump, Normal, Edge Tint.
{Diffuse Material Layer Channels} Diffuse, Rougness, Layer Opacity
{Metallic Material Layer Channels} Rougness, Specular, Film Width, Rotation, Layer Opacity
{Sheen Material Layer Channels} Sheen, Sheen Roughness, Layer Opacity
{Specular Layer Channels} Transmission, Roughness, Specular, Film Width, Rotation, Layer Opacity

2. The following nodes disappear in the Universal Material regardless of which channels they are plugged into when the material is added to the LocalDB and then recalled back into the scene:
Image Tiles, Instance Color, Noise4D, UVW Transform, Color squares, Fractal, Moire Mosaic, Chaos, Spotlight Distribution

All of these nodes DO appear and work properly in the same version of Standalone when opened there. The problem occurs when C4D Octane is retrieving these materials.

Testing Notes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =851671744

See attachments for screenshots and C4D/OCS files. everything works fine in the OCS, but the C4D has missing nodes.

Missing Channel Issue - UM Channels.png

Missing Channel Issue - Material Layers.png

Disappearing Nodes.png
Attachments
Missing nodes.zip
(196.18 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
speltrong
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:22 pm

aoktar Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:22 pm
Some of your determinations are correct. Some nodes are missing on material convert back, some are doing well. Because of time-lack to implement this and forgot to do later.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby speltrong » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:41 pm

speltrong Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:41 pm
aoktar wrote:Some of your determinations are correct. Some nodes are missing on material convert back, some are doing well. Because of time-lack to implement this and forgot to do later.

Thanks for looking into it :)

I'm currently building a starter material set for the LiveDB, and at least having the Bump/Normal channels fixed would be really helpful.
speltrong
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby speltrong » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:08 pm

speltrong Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:08 pm
Uncovered another issue related to this.

If there's a Transform Node in the network with custom values, it stops working when the material is downloaded from the LocalDB.

Steps:
1. Build a material, put in a Transform node, set the values. Lock Aspect Ratio can be either on or off.
2. Upload the material to the LocalDB
3. Download the material from the LocalDB
4. Transform node no longer works correctly (see attached)
5. Uncheck "Lock Aspect Ratio"
6. Transform node works properly now.

Visual workflow and c4d test file attached showing the issue.

Octane C4D 2021.1.6(R4), C4D R26, Win10

Transform Lock Aspect Ratio Issue.png

Transform Lock Aspect Ratio LocalDB Issue.zip
(96.82 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
speltrong
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:07 pm

aoktar Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:07 pm
speltrong wrote:@aoktar: Did a whole lot more testing in 2021.1.5 (R26), and there are two issues at hand here:

1. Any nodes plugged into the following channels in the Universal Material disappear when the material is added to the LocalDB and then recalled back to the scene:
{Metallic Material Layer Channels} Rougness, Specular, Film Width, Rotation, Layer Opacity
{Specular Layer Channels} Transmission, Roughness, Specular, Film Width, Rotation, Layer Opacity

These are not correct because you're probably doing your tests with float textures. And floats are converted to internal float parameters in the nodes. Also rgb textures will go to internal rgb parameters if they have that.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby speltrong » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:46 pm

speltrong Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:46 pm
aoktar wrote:
speltrong wrote:@aoktar: Did a whole lot more testing in 2021.1.5 (R26), and there are two issues at hand here:

These are not correct because you're probably doing your tests with float textures. And floats are converted to internal float parameters in the nodes. Also rgb textures will go to internal rgb parameters if they have that.

Ok, that makes sense, good to know! I looked back at some of the materials I was trying before, and the issue was actually that I was using nodes in my tests that would disappear anyway (Noise4D, UVW Transform, and eventually float in an effort to simplify the issue). Just tested it again with Marble and an OSL texture and those did survive being put into the LiveDB and downloaded again.

Thanks for the clarification on what happens with the float texture/RGB spectrum :)

-s
speltrong
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:02 pm

aoktar Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:02 pm
Better to give me some setup to show the your issues. I'll work/fix faster with this way. And also I'll help/explain the ways faster

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby speltrong » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:36 pm

speltrong Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:36 pm
Did a little more investigation this morning into the Transform node.

It looks like what's happening is that when the material is pulled down from the LocalDB, it's doing a uniform scale based on S.X regardless of what the S.Y and S.Z values are set to.

See attached file created in C4D R26.015, OctaneC4D 2021.1.6-(r4), Win10.

Methodology:
Tried various X and Y Non-uniform transforms on a variety of nodes (ImageTexture, Checks, Octane Noise, Sinewave, Marble). This affected all of them (Sinewave didn't matter since it only scales on one dimension anyway).

Set up Checks node where X was scaled to 1, 0.1, 0.01, 10, and Y was scaled at various values. Posted all to LocalDB. When retrieved from the LocalDB, they all appeared to uniformly scale using the X value.

Transform Issue mult types.zip
(395.81 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
speltrong
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Bug Reports