Exposure, Black point, White point – all do nothing

Forums: Exposure, Black point, White point – all do nothing
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: aoktar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)
H. A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it (Include Screenshots or video capture), as well as an example scene if applicable.
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended).

Please note that reports of issues inside existing threads will be ignored/removed, and reports may be closed if the reporter does not respond to subsequent queries in the thread.

Exposure, Black point, White point – all do nothing

Postby Weezer » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:10 pm

Weezer Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:10 pm
This has bugged me for a while, but I've never been able to use these in the Material Manager to alter texture maps or HDRIs. Are they supposed to do anything, because on the Mac version of the C4D/Octane plugin they've never done anything.

It's annoying because in certain situations (displacement for example) it means you have to manually invert the image elsewhere, rather than flipping the black and white points.

I'm running OctaneX PR11 on a 2019 Mac Pro under Big Sur 11.5.2, but as far as I can remember, these functions have never worked in any version I've used.
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Exposure, Black point, White point – all do nothing

Postby jayroth2020 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:58 pm

jayroth2020 Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:58 pm
Can you please do a "Save Project with Assets..." and post the result?
CaseLabs Mercury S8 / ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS / Crucial 64GB 2133 DDR4 / 2 XEON E5-2687W v3 3.1 GHz / EVGA 1600 P2 / 1 EVGA RTX 3090Ti FTW3 Hybrid / 2 EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Cinema 4D
jayroth2020
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby elsksa » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:40 pm

elsksa Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:40 pm
Weezer wrote:This has bugged me for a while, but I've never been able to use these in the Material Manager to alter texture maps or HDRIs. Are they supposed to do anything, because on the Mac version of the C4D/Octane plugin they've never done anything.

It's annoying because in certain situations (displacement for example) it means you have to manually invert the image elsewhere, rather than flipping the black and white points.

I'm running OctaneX PR11 on a 2019 Mac Pro under Big Sur 11.5.2, but as far as I can remember, these functions have never worked in any version I've used.

Hi Weezer,

Beware that some nodes are not purposed for such use-case. Displacement would require a remapping-processing that will not clamp any values to a normalized range, as the displacement is (and should)32-bit floating-point precision data - ideally, for best results and under the limit of the use of displacement.

I did not verify but I believe there is a node called range that should be the appropriate one - again, something I did not verify myself and worth double-checking.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:43 am

bepeg4d Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:43 am
We also need to distinguish between Texture Displacement mode, and Vertex Displacement mode.
Texture Displacement is voxel based, and it is very limited, Vertex Displacement is sub-polygon based, and doesn't have all those limitations:
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=77600&p=400556&hilit=vertex+displacement#p400556

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Weezer » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:11 am

Weezer Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:11 am
Don't get hung up on the displacement example I mentioned – it's more that there are functions in the material manager that simply do nothing. So why are they there? Same with HDRIs, which preview the changes (exposure, white/black point) in the tiny window, but aren't affected in the scene itself.
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:31 am

bepeg4d Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:31 am
Hi Weezer,
I think that you are confusing c4d options with c4doctane options :roll:

Exposure and white/black point are part of c4d Bitmap options, and cannot be transferred to Octane.

Please, always use an ImageTexture node before loading any kind of image into c4doctane:
https://docs.otoy.com/cinema4d/ImageTexture.html

Octane is a Spectral render engine, so every texture must to be converted to the proper color space before been used.
This is even more important for Lighting, and in particular for the Environment node.
For HDRI, please press the light blue icon to automatically create the Imagetexture node:

Then load inside the ImageTexture node the desired HDR image. In this way you will be able to change the Gamma, that should be set to 1 for all 32bit image textures, and all the other options of the ImageTexture node.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Weezer » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:20 pm

Weezer Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:20 pm
Okay, but in the OctaneSky object (which is set up to load HDRIs in the way you say), Exposure, Black Point and White Point still do nothing…

Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 1.15.09 pm.png

The preview image alters but I see no change in the LV. Is this just a throwback to C4Ds UI?
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:23 pm

aoktar Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:23 pm
What you're using that's not an octane node. We don't have any any parameters like that. Also just use ImageTexture as Beppeg says. Because it will have what we have in Octane side. Try to emulate with octane nodes the parameters if you wish.
Hope this is clear now!
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Bug Reports