Layer Reflection never noise-free

Forums: Layer Reflection never noise-free
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: aoktar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)
H. A detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it (Include Screenshots or video capture), as well as an example scene if applicable.
I. Copies of the Octane Log window and Console window outputs (full text attached as a file to your post is recommended).

Please note that reports of issues inside existing threads will be ignored/removed, and reports may be closed if the reporter does not respond to subsequent queries in the thread.

Layer Reflection never noise-free

Postby DinoMuhic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:33 pm

DinoMuhic Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:33 pm
Hey, I noticed something.

If you enable render layer and want a reflection pass rendered out there is no way to tell how many samples the reflection pass should have.

My scene has 3000 samples set up. (Using Render Region and Adaptive Sampling). However while the main pass is being rendered noise-free the reflection pass of the render layer is not getting noise free at all and I also noticed that it just renders for 1-2 seconds while the beauty renders over a minute. So something doesn't add up there. It FEELS like the reflection pass only is rendering 128 samples or something.
You don't see any render info when the layer reflection pass is being rendered so you cant really say what is happening.
DinoMuhic
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Layer Reflection never noise-free

Postby aoktar » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:37 pm

aoktar Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:37 pm
Hi Dino! Is it better on standalone? As you may know this is not a plugin based issue.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby KeeWe » Tue May 22, 2018 4:15 pm

KeeWe Tue May 22, 2018 4:15 pm
I'm currently facing the same problem. I'm trying to render out a reflection pass by turning off the visibility of my object and only getting the reflections of it in on the ground. It works just fine, except the fact, that the reflection pass stays noisy, no matter what sample count I use.

Is there a solution for this? I'm running the latest stable and can't really test it in standalone since I've no idea how it works. :D
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 am

bepeg4d Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 am
KeeWe wrote:I'm currently facing the same problem. I'm trying to render out a reflection pass by turning off the visibility of my object and only getting the reflections of it in on the ground. It works just fine, except the fact, that the reflection pass stays noisy, no matter what sample count I use.

Is there a solution for this? I'm running the latest stable and can't really test it in standalone since I've no idea how it works. :D

Hi, can you share with me the scene via PM?
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby KeeWe » Fri May 25, 2018 1:22 pm

KeeWe Fri May 25, 2018 1:22 pm
bepeg4d wrote:
KeeWe wrote:I'm currently facing the same problem. I'm trying to render out a reflection pass by turning off the visibility of my object and only getting the reflections of it in on the ground. It works just fine, except the fact, that the reflection pass stays noisy, no matter what sample count I use.

Hi, can you share with me the scene via PM?
ciao Beppe

Hi Beppe,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatley I can't share the scene due to commercial restrictions of the project. Right now I can't provide a simple replica of the scene either because all my workstations are rendering.

But its actually quiet simple:

My object is placed on a shiny ground, to have more control over the reflection I disable the object via the camera tag (camera visibility turned off), enable multi pass/Reflections and save it seperatley.

Kernel is set to PT, 5000 samples (which clears the image completely in Beauty).

But I still get noise like in the attached image.

No matter if I increase the Kernel samples or the Info Layer samples in the multi pass settings.
Attachments
octane ref_noise.JPG
6850k // 32 GB // 1080, 1080 Ti, 2080 Ti // Win 10 // C4D 19.068
KeeWe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Fri May 25, 2018 2:15 pm

bepeg4d Fri May 25, 2018 2:15 pm
Hi,
without the scene I can only guessing, but note that there are two different Reflections passes in the Render Passes tab:
688446CE-D4B2-4060-AFA5-F48888CE5C77.jpeg

The first one is related with the beauty passes, and needs to be mixed/layered with other layer passes to obtain the original beauty pass, so even if some residual noise is visible, it will be cancelled when layered in compositing:
http://www.aoktar.com/octane/BeautyPasses.html
The second one is related to the Render Layer technique to isolate bauty, shadows and reflections of an object in a scene:
http://www.aoktar.com/octane/RenderLayer.html
Which one are you actually using?
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby ultranerd » Fri May 21, 2021 12:07 am

ultranerd Fri May 21, 2021 12:07 am
So im having the same issues here when using the render layer with the Blackshadow option. Im rendering with path tracing and iam using 4069 Samples to get a noise free Beauty, but my Render Layer Blackshadow is very noisy. Anything i missed?
Cheers Christian
ultranerd
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Fri May 21, 2021 6:41 am

bepeg4d Fri May 21, 2021 6:41 am
Please share a scene that shows the issue.
As said, we cannot reproduce it here with our scenes, so we need a clear example to better investigate, thanks.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Bug Reports