Cinema4D version 2020.2.4-R2 (Obsolete stable) 20.06.2021

Forums: Cinema4D version 2020.2.4-R2 (Obsolete stable) 20.06.2021
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: aoktar

Cinema4D version 2020.2.4-R2 (Obsolete stable) 20.06.2021

Postby aoktar » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:53 pm

aoktar Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:53 pm
Hi all,
This is the latest stable build based on stable 2020.2.4 SDK. Any feedback will be much appreciated. Enjoy it!

Make sure to use a NVIDIA Studio driver with version at least 456.38 on Windows. No driver updates are required for macOS 10.13 (CUDA).

This version supports the new NVIDIA Ampere architecture on Windows and Linux. Kepler cards with compute model lower than 3.5 are just supported on macOS.

For CORE improvements please check the following Standalone link.
This is the matching Standalone: OctaneRender™ 2020.2.4.

Changes of 2020.4.2-R2
Fix: crash with object tag over a xref object
Fix: Name problem with vertexmap tags

Core fixes which may affects the plugins
Fixed render failure when using dirt with infinite plane primitives.
Fixed render failure when using a stereo panoramic camera with a focal depth set to zero with RTX on.
Fixed render issue with microfacet models not calculating reflectance on total internal reflection.
Fixed rendering regression with hair rendering in 2020.2 builds compared to 2020.1.5.
Fixed shadow catcher material not responding to the opacity pin value.
Fixed case in which OSL textures would not be compiled upon being created or loaded.
Fixed memory leak when using the baking texture node.
Fixed incorrect texture mapping when the Z component of a UV transform is zero.
Fixed issue causing UV transforms being ignored with plane primitives.
Fixed flickering and brightens with the Hosek-Wilkie daylight model when using small sun sizes.
Fixed possible application crash when using SDF/Vectron shaders which expose multiple materials.
Fixed volume contribution for Cryptomatte passes which were counted twice.
Fixed motion vector pass for triangles with deformation.
Fixed issue with the denoiser causing an output color difference from the original pass.
Fixed color blend and alpha operation combinations using output AOVs.
Fixed differences between composite AOVs and the beauty pass.
Fixed some unnecesary render restarts.
Fixed the AI denoiser and upsampler for macOS.
Fixed upsampling when the alpha channel is enabled.

IN ANY CRASH CASE PLEASE DO THESE!!!
If you see CUDA errors follow 1,2,3,4.
1- Use NVIDIA STUDIO drivers, not Game Ready versions. If you have stability issues try different drivers, some of them could cause instability issues. Make a clean install while doing this to be sure previous files completely removed.
2- Check GPU frequency. Overclocking would cause instability issues
3- Check PSU. Insufficient power output would cause instability issues
4- Check the free amount of GPU's VRAM and system's RAM while working. Low VRAM will/may cause CUDA errors. Be aware of some generator objects will have different triangle count in Picture Viewer than Live Viewer. It’s like “editor/render” parameter. Just try to use the same value. Also try to optimize your scene for polygon count, even use smaller images. Try to use Octane texture nodes rather than using C4D texture/shaders.
Alternatively, use V4 and Out-of-core(OOC) function. Increase RAM for OOC and It should not exceed physical RAM amount. Check TDR value and increase if it's necessary.
5- If you see C4D crashes without CUDA errors, then send us bugreport.zip, screen-shots and video capture to show process and crash moment. Also please send us a sample scene in a format of C4D or ORBX to let us investigate and test it. Alternatively, try to delete/hide some objects/materials until crash gone away. If you find what's causing crashes, send us a sample scene to let us for investigating and bring a fix or solution.
Thanks for helping the development by your feedbacks! It’s impossible to quickly catch every case without user feedbacks! It’s the same procedure as other companies do like Maxon/etc...

WINDOWS ENTERPRISE BUILD (R15-24)
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... R2-win.rar

WINDOWS SUBSCRIPTION(Studio) BUILD (R15-24)
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... R2-win.rar

OSX ENTERPRISE BUILD (R15-24)
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... Macosx.zip

OSX SUBSCRIPTION(Studio) BUILD (R15-24)
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... Macosx.zip

DEMO WINDOWS: https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads ... .4-win.rar
DEMO MACOS: https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads ... Macosx.zip

Requirements:
-You'll need to update your Cinema 4D to latest versions(R16.050, R17.053, R18.057, R19.053, R20.057, R21.115, S22.118, R23.110). Otherwise, the plugin will not work and not appear in menus.
-Internet connection for activation, be sure that C4D and Octane will not be blocked by the firewall and any antivirus software.
-Nvidia drivers at least Nvidia Studio Drivers(minimum 456.38) and be careful with latest Game Ready drivers which can cause cuda errors. Stay with stable one for you.
-Cuda 9.1 driver for OSX.

ONLINE HELP MANUAL
Use embedded help buttons from Octane nodes and windows

To use OFFLINE version of manual from plugin
Download following package and extract to Cinema4D/plugins/c4doctane/manual
https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads ... p-html.zip

V3 SAMPLE SCENES SET(make a request if you need any specific sample)
https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads ... scenes.rar

See this topic for some partial samples: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=53989

CINEMA 4D TUTORIALS SECTION: viewforum.php?f=87

CHANGE LOG: https://docs.otoy.com/#60Change%20log

Installation
First, remove all octane related stuff from plugins and the main folder of Cinema4D.

Extract all files to Cinema4D\plugins\c4dOctane directory.
Also, download manual.zip and extract to c4dOctane directory if it's not available in place.

There are a few files for each one is for different Cinema4D version. Remove all except the file is for your version.
Ex. if you have Cinema4D R18.0, keep only "c4dOctane-r18.cdl64" and delete c4dOctane-r17.cdl64, c4dOctane-r16.cdl64, c4dOctane-r15.cdl64, etc..

Cinema 4D Release 15: c4dOctane-r15.cdl64 or c4doctane_R15_demo.dylib
Cinema 4D Release 16: c4dOctane-r16.cdl64 or c4doctane_R16_demo.dylib
Cinema 4D Release 17: c4dOctane-r17.cdl64 or c4doctane_R17_demo.dylib
Cinema 4D Release 18: c4dOctane-r18.cdl64 or c4doctane_R18_demo.dylib
Cinema 4D Release 19: c4dOctane-r19.cdl64 or c4doctane_R19_demo.dylib
Cinema 4D Release 20: c4dOctane-r20.xdl64 or c4doctane_R20_demo.xlib
Cinema 4D Release 21: c4dOctane-r21.xdl64 or c4doctane_R21_demo.xlib
Last edited by aoktar on Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Cinema4D version 2020.2.4 (Latest stable) 12.06.2021

Postby thanulee » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:46 pm

thanulee Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:46 pm
Oh thanks a lot! So quick updates
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thanulee » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:19 pm

thanulee Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:19 pm
Hi,

2020.2.4 is great. But can we please fix the xp trail object and the group functions in Xparticles? These are fundamental functions when working with XP and in Redshift they work just fine.
I have a very basic setup and it breaks all the time. I will walk you through in case you are not familiar with all xp functions:

XP Groups:
- I have a single emitter with 2 objects. 2 groups assigned to that single emitter. Via those groups I can define if I want more of object A or more from object B.
This change does not reflect in octane object tag. It keeps assigning randomly the objects A and B.
It is best to define the ratio via the groups of XP and not in other way, cause when I try to push this setup further everything breaks.
In this specific case i can cheat with 2 emitters and ignore groups, but its not a solution. There are many times when using dynamics where using multiple emitters in a setup is not possible.

XP trails:
- It works only with the most basic operation. Eg. if i add a displacer/trail deformer the color of the trail is lost.

Please let me know when we can fix those cause I have to switch to Redshift for such basic setups.
XP API is provided and if these functionalities are missing, we could reach out to Insydium. If not, its a matter of implementation. I feel like im fighting with Octane many times instead of just move forward and focus on art directing setups/particles.

Many thanks!
scene file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytz2xkm8ps00t ... e.c4d?dl=0
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:36 pm

aoktar Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:36 pm
thanulee wrote:Hi,

2020.2.4 is great. But can we please fix the xp trail object and the group functions in Xparticles? These are fundamental functions when working with XP and in Redshift they work just fine.
I have a very basic setup and it breaks all the time. I will walk you through in case you are not familiar with all xp functions:

XP Groups:
- I have a single emitter with 2 objects. 2 groups assigned to that single emitter. Via those groups I can define if I want more of object A or more from object B.
This change does not reflect in octane object tag. It keeps assigning randomly the objects A and B.
It is best to define the ratio via the groups of XP and not in other way, cause when I try to push this setup further everything breaks.
In this specific case i can cheat with 2 emitters and ignore groups, but its not a solution. There are many times when using dynamics where using multiple emitters in a setup is not possible.

XP trails:
- It works only with the most basic operation. Eg. if i add a displacer/trail deformer the color of the trail is lost.

Please let me know when we can fix those cause I have to switch to Redshift for such basic setups.
XP API is provided and if these functionalities are missing, we could reach out to Insydium. If not, its a matter of implementation. I feel like im fighting with Octane many times instead of just move forward and focus on art directing setups/particles.

Many thanks!
scene file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytz2xkm8ps00t ... e.c4d?dl=0

Can you please provide an example which works with RS? Putting a support for xp is not my only work and It should not be called as "fix". Every extra feature may require a lot of extra work.
ALSO color information is lost if you use deformers under xpTrail. Don't you have an alternative way for doing same with xp effects?

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thanulee » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:37 pm

thanulee Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:37 pm
Xp works in a lot of ways regarding deforming splines. It also has an xptrail deformer for this same purpose. And this one breaks color as well. Deforming splines is fundamental to achieve all shorts of effects without making em dynamic. We already have limitations with native hair and octane hair so this adds on top of the things that cannot be done.

Having color on the splines only under the most basic condition eg. particles emit and a turbulence, is something that would rarely go into a client job. It's not applicable in the majority of cases for anyone that uses XP in production.
Also the grouping thing is really important. And while group color is passed on the material, object ratio doesnt. And this makes things difficult down the line when xp setups become complex.

I understand that XP is a plugin but its the biggest plugin in C4D and took a very long time to access their API cause this was the reason features were not implemented as I recall. Right now the functionality of octane vs RS is not comparable in many ways when it comes to XP. I am not suggesting to make everything work as in Cycles, but splines having the color of the particle when deforms is basic for any design purpose. Same as grouping and ratio, not being able to control how particles look in general is basic.

All studios I work with prefer Redshift for that flexibility and I keep losing projects out of that :)

Please consider looking into to all that. Rendering xp with octane is a constant headache for me, no matter how many different approaches i take for my setups.

Many thanks!
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:05 pm

aoktar Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:05 pm
thanulee wrote:Xp works in a lot of ways regarding deforming splines. It also has an xptrail deformer for this same purpose. And this one breaks color as well. Deforming splines is fundamental to achieve all shorts of effects without making em dynamic. We already have limitations with native hair and octane hair so this adds on top of the things that cannot be done.

Having color on the splines only under the most basic condition eg. particles emit and a turbulence, is something that would rarely go into a client job. It's not applicable in the majority of cases for anyone that uses XP in production.
Also the grouping thing is really important. And while group color is passed on the material, object ratio doesnt. And this makes things difficult down the line when xp setups become complex.

I understand that XP is a plugin but its the biggest plugin in C4D and took a very long time to access their API cause this was the reason features were not implemented as I recall. Right now the functionality of octane vs RS is not comparable in many ways when it comes to XP. I am not suggesting to make everything work as in Cycles, but splines having the color of the particle when deforms is basic for any design purpose. Same as grouping and ratio, not being able to control how particles look in general is basic.

All studios I work with prefer Redshift for that flexibility and I keep losing projects out of that :)

Please consider looking into to all that. Rendering xp with octane is a constant headache for me, no matter how many different approaches i take for my setups.

Many thanks!

Why do not consider to put some scenes to show what you cannot do? I do not prefer to answer long messages and start some discussion. Having some api doesn't mean we can do everything. I'll check for extensions but need to prepare 2021 before that.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thanulee » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:06 pm

thanulee Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:06 pm
I did, i provided a scene that cannot do the things i mentioned. Both in same scene, groups and colors on trails.
Let me know if u have any questions on that one!

Lets take em one step at a time. If we fix those things i can provide other stuff as well that i feel they would be a nice addition.

Here is the scene file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytz2xkm8ps00t ... e.c4d?dl=0

Do ur thing with 2021 and lets see if we can make this one work :) Many thanks
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:14 pm

aoktar Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:14 pm
thanulee wrote:I did, i provided a scene that cannot do the things i mentioned. Both in same scene, groups and colors on trails.
Let me know if u have any questions on that one!

Lets take em one step at a time. If we fix those things i can provide other stuff as well that i feel they would be a nice addition.

Here is the scene file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytz2xkm8ps00t ... e.c4d?dl=0

Do ur thing with 2021 and lets see if we can make this one work :) Many thanks

Asked for a RS version of this scene. I'm curious how they can read colors in case, because it's a xp API problem. I don't think they are doing with API

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thanulee » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:15 am

thanulee Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:15 am
Here is an example of the RS color trail along with a displacer deformer + an xp trail deformer. It also has a profile for the spline + many spline types which is very handy as well and this is also another thing we could use.

Project file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ogf619ejcriq ... s.c4d?dl=0

I ll provide an RS file with groups if nessecary!

Many thanks
Attachments
Cinema_4D_2021-06-15_03-57-30.png
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thanulee » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:40 pm

thanulee Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:40 pm
And here is a RS scene with group ratio:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhavy5e1vamdo ... s.c4d?dl=0

Let me know if any questions! cheers