OctaneRender Max Plugin Collaborative Wishlist

Forums: OctaneRender Max Plugin Collaborative Wishlist
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Re: OctaneRender Max Plugin Collaborative Wishlist

Postby 3dgeeks » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:30 am

3dgeeks Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:30 am
What is the problem with the
" Camera Lens shift to correct a camera perspective to obtain a 2-point perspective. But this has to work precisely. Like Max's internal Camera Correction feature"
The current vertical and horizontal shift do exactly what you need, you just need to make sure your camera is horizontal. This basically achieves the same thing as the Max vertical correct.
3dgeeks
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RobSteady » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:55 am

RobSteady Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:55 am
Yep. Max Camera Correction modifier also works.
Octane for 3ds Max v2.21.1 | i7-5930K | 32GB | 1 x GTX Titan Z + 2 x GTX 980 Ti
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oguzbir » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:00 am

oguzbir Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:00 am
3dgeeks wrote:What is the problem with the
" Camera Lens shift to correct a camera perspective to obtain a 2-point perspective. But this has to work precisely. Like Max's internal Camera Correction feature"
The current vertical and horizontal shift do exactly what you need, you just need to make sure your camera is horizontal. This basically achieves the same thing as the Max vertical correct.

RobSteady wrote:Yep. Max Camera modifier also works.

Thanks for pointing that out guys. Seems like I made a mistake while collecting peoples' requests in the forum.
Removing that from the list.
My Portfolio
windows 10 Pro. |1070 + 1070 + 1070 + 1070 | i7 @4.5Ghz
oguzbir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RobSteady » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:28 pm

RobSteady Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:28 pm
Can we please get some feedback from developers which requests will be implemented and when?!
Or any sign of life? Any feedback? Karba, still there?
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oguzbir » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:58 am

oguzbir Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:58 am
You know, I've been in pursuit of maxscript - octane compability for ages.
I would like to draw members attention to these links
http://patrick.reformstudios.com/2015/0 ... ht-lister/
and
http://patrick.reformstudios.com/2015/0 ... y-plugins/
These links will give you good understanding of the script is being written.

It's a script to manage Scene contents. Which will help to manage a lot of lights at one go, manage material properties (eg. materials with emmissions) in a refined menu. The script is being written by a great guy named Patrick Macdonald His web page.

As he claimed that script would automatically support any 3rd-party plugins you used.
So, I've contacted him and signed up for a beta asked if he could test his unreleased software with octane for max.

He said,
"Ok, I tried out Octane render, and your suspicions proved correct, it isn't exposed in the usual way to maxscript like other plugins. "
He added,
"I also notice that Colin Senner of "Relink Bitmaps" fame has also had similar problems with Octane and hadn't made much progress when making advances to the developers. (http://www.colinsenner.com/scripts/reli ... ent-page-2) Without going through the same efforts as Colin I don't know if things have changed, but in the meantime I suggest you contact them yourself and ask them to expose all the renderer and material/light/camera parameters to maxscript to allow 3rd-party tools like Mission Control and Relink Bitmaps easier access to their plugins' classes.

Sorry I can't be more help at this stage, but I'm busy trying to get the core code of Mission Control ready for release. Once I have more time I'll be able to get in touch with Octane''s developers and hopefully find a way to integrate the plugin with the tool."

And I asked
Would you tell me what I should I tell the devs to correct or improve? regarding maxscript compatibility..

He said,
To get you started, my first discovery is that when you attempt to access the renderer parameters, the plugin returns nothing. So, to confirm this make Octane your current renderer and then try these two lines.
currRenderer= renderers.current
show currRenderer

Do this for both Scanline renderer or Vray and lastly for Octane to see the difference.
------

As far as I can see Octane for max has one major fault and this is it. If you work on it, and let maxscript object classes, object properties, material properties, render setting properties, lights, texture properties exposed to maxscript than we can use good scripts out that what would greatly change the way we work.

If Karba or Jimstar would I like to get in touch with Patrick I can send you his email.
He is not a friend of mine and I didn't get his word for it but I genuinely think he might help you in conjunction with compatibility with this script.

Or at least tell me whether or not you'll add maxscript support at all.

Best,
My Portfolio
windows 10 Pro. |1070 + 1070 + 1070 + 1070 | i7 @4.5Ghz
oguzbir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RobSteady » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:52 pm

RobSteady Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:52 pm
Octane Proxy: Relink missing proxy-files via Asset Tracking not working. You have to relink manually which takes forever...
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Goldorak Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:02 pm
Hi all - thank you for keeping track of this. It is useful and we want to update the converter using this feedback. Right now we are focused on final bug fixes in 2.x core rendering features and migration to 3.x alpha release. We will try to fit this in before 3.0 alpha. Jim Star will be taking on some of this work shortly.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby RobSteady » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:37 pm

RobSteady Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:37 pm
Good to hear!
But please don't limit the fixes not only to the material converter...
RobSteady
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby suvakas » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:50 am

suvakas Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:50 am
If there would be a proper maxscript support we could write our own material converters.
I don't see the converter as a priority task at all.. It has always been up to community to write those things.
I don't thing a valuable development time should go into coding material converters for 3rd party renderers.

Suv
suvakas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3dvizual » Sat May 16, 2015 2:19 pm

3dvizual Sat May 16, 2015 2:19 pm
Hi.

I have a question to the Octane Developer Team. Why is it the development of the 3ds max plugin is going so slow.

3ds Max is maybe the most used software for 3d viz around the world.

I can see many that of the wishes to the plugin from page 1 of this thread, should be implemented long time ago because they are so crucial for a professional workflow.

I have been a VRAY user for many years and the developer team from Chaos Group is very good at listening to the crowd from people using this software. I can see comments from this thread, that Octane crew is not very active.

I just updated from version 1.0 to 2.0 for couple of days ago, and I am so disappointed that so many features are not implemented.

So here is my question to the team before I even consider upgrading to next version of Octane. Will there be some STRONG development of this plugin soon.? Because I actually think this render could be very promising and VERY competitive with VRAY and Corona if more features where added.
windows 7 x64 | 1xGTX580 1,5GB RAM | i5 | 16GB
3dvizual
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to User Requests