Shadow passes do not perfectly line up with alpha

Forums: Shadow passes do not perfectly line up with alpha
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Shadow passes do not perfectly line up with alpha

Postby darkline » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:11 pm

darkline Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:11 pm
This is actually something i've been having issues with for a long time but only now is it becoming a real problem. I'm using the latest version of Octane 2 (uninstalled 3 for the moment)

The problem I have is when rendering out using the layer/passes system. On final compositing, there seems to be a small pixel wide gap between the beauty render and the shadow pass. When you comp it all together this results in an almost halo like outline around the beauty pass. Anyone know of a way around this because it's hard to fix in post, if you scale the shadow layer up or move it then you get an outline appearing elsewhere.

Normally when I render out shadow pass with other renderers they do not 'cut out' the shape of the shadow casting object and so do not leave any margin for error.

Is there any way we could have an option for a shadow pass that includes all the shadows cast (not one which cuts out/outlines the shadow casting object?) Shadow layers generally sit behind everything in the stack so it doesn't need to have anythig sut out of it.

Anyhow I don't know if this is an issue with the 3dsmax plugin or standalone, but it is very problematic for me.

shadow passes.jpg
Windows 7 64bit/ Intel 3930K/ ASUS Rampage IV/ GTX980ti x 2/ 64GB system RAM
darkline
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Shadow passes do not perfectly line up with alpha

Postby milanm » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:40 pm

milanm Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:40 pm
Hi

It's fixed, we just have to wait for the next release of V3.

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=55903

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed you were asking about V2, I'm not sure about that one.

Regards
Milan
Colorist / VFX artist / Motion Designer
macOS - Windows 7 - Cinema 4D R19.068 - GTX1070TI - GTX780
milanm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby darkline » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:09 pm

darkline Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:09 pm
Thanks, have posted a link to this thread there, so hopefully they may look at V2 also.
Windows 7 64bit/ Intel 3930K/ ASUS Rampage IV/ GTX980ti x 2/ 64GB system RAM
darkline
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby azen » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:49 pm

azen Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:49 pm
Hi,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Since this fix was a applied on the significantly refactored Octane 3 rendering core, it is uncertain whether it is possible to replicate this fix in Octane 2. The best option would be to post your issue in the Standalone support forums - from there, the core team can best determine what can be done with this issue in v2.
azen
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Bug Reports