Octane doesn't load proxy materials.

Forums: Octane doesn't load proxy materials.
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Octane doesn't load proxy materials.

Postby Newman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Newman Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:41 pm
Hello there,

Seems like I've found a bug with proxy in octane for 3ds max 2016. Verion 2.25-2.21 (Windows 10, gtx 780)
Steps to reproduce.
1)create some object
2)Assign octane material to it, with diffuse rgb texture.
3)Right click in viewport>export to octane proxy. Do NOT use "replace original" checkbox.
4)Create new empty octane proxy object, and assign previewsly exported file to it.

If I use checkbox "replace original" then all renders fine, but I can't create empty node, assign proxy file and render with materials.

Please take a look at attached file.

Thanks,
-Pavel
Attachments
Oct_Bug.JPG
Sorry for my bad English
Win 8 PRO x64/ Core i7 950 / 16gb RAM / GTX 460/ GTX670/
Newman
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane doesn't load proxy materials.

Postby Newman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:46 pm

Newman Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:46 pm
Hm, If from mat editor I assign material to proxy file it renders ok.
So there is another question: does octane store material and texture information in proxy file? I mean can I. for example, use exported from max proxies in maya?
Sorry for my bad English
Newman
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby azen » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:00 pm

azen Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:00 pm
Hi,

It seems that you are trying to use an alternative workflow form using proxy materials in your scene. Rather than creating a proxy material in 3ds Max, you wish to create an empty material and assign a proxy file to achieve the same result - have I understood your query correctly? Could you explain your workflow a little more? My guess is that this workflow would be relatively unreliable, though I would need to play around with this myself to give you a more comprehensive answer. With more info in hand, I will try to replicate your situation and see what can be achieved.
azen
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Newman » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:31 pm

Newman Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:31 pm
Hi, thank you for reply.

As I understand there are two ways to work with proxy files in 3ds max.

1)From 3ds max I select the mesh that I want to be a proxy, right click on the viewport>export to Octane proxy> set the proxy file patch and enable "Replace original"
2)Do the same things like in 1 but without replacing original mesh.

Why Is the reason to not preplace the original mesh?
Reason 1
For example you have a file with plant library and you want to exportt some plants as proxies to other scene.
Reason 2
You can work on assets in studio and deliver the assets in octane proxy format. For example if someone uses standalone version for final rendering and someone 3ds max version for asset develop and delivery. Or someone uses maya and someone max.
Reason 3
You may prefer to use those proxies in future projects.(in archviz it's very useful.)

So the problem is that when I open a proxy via OctaneProxy node, it doesn' load the materials and textures from proxy. I'm not going to assing new material to existing proxy file, I mean when I load it manualy(replace original checkbox is disabled) it comes without materials.

Thanks again,
Pavel
Sorry for my bad English
Newman
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby azen » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:01 am

azen Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:01 am
Hi,

I see what you mean. I believe that users have reported success with using applications like Forest Pack to handle use cases the likes of which you have outlined. Support for that is still imperfect due to some difficulties the software has with supporting GPU renderers. I will further assess this issue and see if there is anything further we can do. The upcoming Octane 3 has helped to open up a host of new options from a development standpoint that could make a solution to this more feasible than it has been in the past.

Apologies for not having a more favorable response. I will keep this forum posted on any improvements that can be made regarding this issue.
azen
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby jamestmather » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:17 pm

jamestmather Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:17 pm
Any news on this - I can't seem to get proxies to work. They come in the wrong size and they increase the memory footprint. It seems like nothing in Octane for Max really works like it does in other packages (volumetrics/proxies).

How do I get these to work? The manual workflow seems to be :

1. right click on your proxy object and export to proxy)
2. create/octane/proxy - select your file

then it seems to come in the wrong size. The memory goes up too. Any suggestions on how to get it to keep the memory footprint the same?

Any help appreciated.
jamestmather
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm

paride4331 Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Bug Reports