32 bit displacement

Forums: 32 bit displacement
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

32 bit displacement

Postby Rico_uk » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Rico_uk Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:09 pm
I've been trying to get a good workflow between Mudbox and Octane but I'm so far unable to get this to work in a production quality and reliable way. I've attached renders from Vray and also Octane. As you can see the Vray displacement is perfect (it has a few more settings of course) but the Octane one doesn't even get close with a 32 bit displacement map. I can use Octane to displace using 8 or 16 bit textures, but this is only useful for very basic displacement, but when using a production character this isn't accurate enough. Also how would you displace both inwards and outwards? I've tried using a normalised displacement with medium grey for background colour, but even this displaced incorrectly. Any ideas?
Attachments
Octane.jpg
vray.jpg
Rico_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: 32 bit displacement

Postby prodviz » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:33 pm

prodviz Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:33 pm
I'd be really interested in this too.

If we could have a tutorial from mudbox and zbrush through to Octane, that would be cool.
prodviz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Karba » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:10 am

Karba Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:10 am
Rico_uk wrote:I've been trying to get a good workflow between Mudbox and Octane but I'm so far unable to get this to work in a production quality and reliable way. I've attached renders from Vray and also Octane. As you can see the Vray displacement is perfect (it has a few more settings of course) but the Octane one doesn't even get close with a 32 bit displacement map. I can use Octane to displace using 8 or 16 bit textures, but this is only useful for very basic displacement, but when using a production character this isn't accurate enough. Also how would you displace both inwards and outwards? I've tried using a normalised displacement with medium grey for background colour, but even this displaced incorrectly. Any ideas?

Did you try 2.13 version?
Karba
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gordonrobb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:51 am

gordonrobb Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:51 am
I have been banging on about this for ages and feel a little ignored about it. ZBrush (and I guess mud box too) has mid grey set to zero so that you can displace out and in. Octane works great with out only (ie zero is black). The problem is when you use the shift parameter to bring the displacement back to match the zbrush displacement it ruins the geometry.
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rico_uk » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:35 am

Rico_uk Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:35 am
Karba wrote:
Rico_uk wrote:I've been trying to get a good workflow between Mudbox and Octane but I'm so far unable to get this to work in a production quality and reliable way. I've attached renders from Vray and also Octane. As you can see the Vray displacement is perfect (it has a few more settings of course) but the Octane one doesn't even get close with a 32 bit displacement map. I can use Octane to displace using 8 or 16 bit textures, but this is only useful for very basic displacement, but when using a production character this isn't accurate enough. Also how would you displace both inwards and outwards? I've tried using a normalised displacement with medium grey for background colour, but even this displaced incorrectly. Any ideas?

Did you try 2.13 version?

I haven't tried it yet. I need to install 2.13 on all my machines, other than displacement everything else works pretty stable. Once this current job is out of the way I'll install and test it.
Rico_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rico_uk » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:22 pm

Rico_uk Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:22 pm
Just got around to testing the displacement in 2.23, it still has the same problems, doesn't look at all like it should. I'm using a 32 bit displacement map, mid grey out to have no effect, but I'm getting some really weird results, and using the shift just makes things worse. The map works perfectly in Vray.
Rico_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gordonrobb » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:53 pm

gordonrobb Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:53 pm
I really hope we don't have to pay for version 3 to get a version of displacement that works properly, with organic shapes, with positive and negative displacements
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rico_uk » Fri May 29, 2015 9:18 am

Rico_uk Fri May 29, 2015 9:18 am
yeah me too, hopefully it will all be sorted, I'm sure they're on the case.
Rico_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports