OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2020.2.2 - 11.08

Forums: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2020.2.2 - 11.08
Sub forum for plugin releases
Forum rules
Any bugs related to this plugin should be reported to the Bug Reports sub-forum.
Bugs related to Octane itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

Re: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v2020.2.2 - 11.08

Postby samsue » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm

samsue Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm
that's one thing ... I don't know what to say.

Render paused, you click to save and 3DS Max closes without warning. It happens occasionally using Octane Vieport when you want to save your renders
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:11 am

neonZorglub Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:11 am
samsue wrote:One thing I have not realized until recently, is that you are "stuck" with what Octane has "originally", and that this connection through platforms does not make your work any easier.

I wouldn't say "worst" ... but it is the general "problem" of the SDK, it is overcomplicated. in AOV, you have layer on layer, aov imput. you can't understand the structure, is organized in a complicated way. ... This should be included in the Render Frame, with a better realtime visualization of what you are doing. Other engines have similar things in a very simple way, without naming names.

I know this may not help much, but unfortunately I don't have the time to do a review of the AOV, I would have to take screenshots, make a montage in Photoshop with explanations etc...

Sorry if I sound like the kind of person who always says everything is bad, but for me the whole SDK needs to be reorganized, optimized, made simpler.
A lot of good news this year from Otoy, but as I have already said several times, in the proportion that they improved the SDK technically, they got worse in usability.

Hi samsue,
Thank you for explaining your impressions.
I fully agree that the first time we see those new feature's interface (aov, ocio, scatter surface and volume, ..), it's very confusing !
As plugin developers, we have the same trouble at first, especially as it's still evolving..
As we get more familiar, we'll have more and more samples and tutorials for those features, and certainly the interface will be simplified and can be tailored for particular usages, like the 'light mixer' tool that I added.
All the new feature's parameters must be accessible, to take full advantage of the power they provide, but some could stay hidden in some cases..

I'll look into this, and the issues and crash you reported.
Thanks!
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby samsue » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:59 am

samsue Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:59 am
well but that's the point, we are CGI Artists, not Developers.

You don't even have proper documentation... even today the 3DS max SDK documentation is very limited, I have to look at C4D to understand certain things better.

Good example was the AOC implementation, I thought "wow that's great" but I also thought "let's see how they can complicate this".

You can load the OCIO file, but Octane also has also its own Octane Color Space, besides that you can also activate this Automatic Color Space, and if that wasn't enough then there is the OCIO Color Space where you have to choose the same thing as the Octane Color space... i mean :shock:

but that is not all... You still have to go to "Imager" and activate the view and look ... and look! to add more stuff, you still have the 3dS gamma hack and this Wieport Tone Mapping

you see what I'm getting at... is very frustrating. WORST OF ALL... is that you think, ok I will read about it in the documentation... HA HA HA great surprise...

3dsmax_fGWfYBtQn7.png
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby HHbomb » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:07 am

HHbomb Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:07 am
@samsue,
OCIO is like 2.2 workflow for me... Like magic.
But its true that Octane for max don't help to jump into !
At least, when I want to change units in max, I open Units window.
Why don't we have a unic window with ALL color settings. So we can see All settings in same time ?
( all settings could stay where they are, but such a window could gather all settings too )
YOKO Studio | win 10 64 | i7 5930K GTX 3090 | 3dsmax 2022.3 |
HHbomb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Releases