OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v4.01.1 - 6.12 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v4.01.1 - 6.12 [OBSOLETE]
Sub forum for plugin releases
Forum rules
Any bugs related to this plugin should be reported to the Bug Reports sub-forum.
Bugs related to Octane itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

Re: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v4.01.1 - 6.12

Postby mbetke » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:28 am

mbetke Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:28 am
Made the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro with all fresh "format c:", new installation of 3ds max 2019 and all SP and latest everything drivers. And what can I say? Octane still runs like a pile of trash and I'm really pissed...sorry for the words. But I'm tired of sending files, checking error boxes, reporting, interrupted by work. This is not my hobby. I earn money for my living with 3D.

The Material/Map Browser keeps crashing instantly which is worst thing and not predictable.

I would LOVE to try 2018.1 BUT even a SIMPLE plane with a Forest pack object CRASHES 3ds max. But hey, it's so cool for people having Vectron to spam the facebook group with instead fixing bugs.

Will evaluate other GPU software for further projects now and move back to Octane 3 if a client needs an old file re-rendered. Fed up with this. Rant over and out. :lol:
PURE3D Visualisierungen
Sys: Intel Core i9-12900K, 128GB RAM, 2x 4090 RTX, Windows 11 Pro x64, 3ds Max 2024.2
mbetke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:52 pm

paride4331 Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:52 pm
Hi mbetke,
I'm making some test to undestand what's happening.
Could you try using my file: open it and try to merge the whole your scene inside.
Could you test it, does t it work better than before?
Let me hear from you.
Regards
Paride
Attachments
test.rar
(20.48 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby coilbook » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:04 pm

coilbook Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:04 pm
mbetke wrote:Made the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro with all fresh "format c:", new installation of 3ds max 2019 and all SP and latest everything drivers. And what can I say? Octane still runs like a pile of trash and I'm really pissed...sorry for the words. But I'm tired of sending files, checking error boxes, reporting, interrupted by work. This is not my hobby. I earn money for my living with 3D.

The Material/Map Browser keeps crashing instantly which is worst thing and not predictable.

I would LOVE to try 2018.1 BUT even a SIMPLE plane with a Forest pack object CRASHES 3ds max. But hey, it's so cool for people having Vectron to spam the facebook group with instead fixing bugs.

Will evaluate other GPU software for further projects now and move back to Octane 3 if a client needs an old file re-rendered. Fed up with this. Rant over and out. :lol:

So far only Octane 4 RC7 works ok. All other release crash for me too. Not sure what otoy did to them
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mbetke » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:39 am

mbetke Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:39 am
So far only Octane 4 RC7 works ok. All other release crash for me too. Not sure what otoy did to them

Nice to hear I'm not alone.

Could you try using my file: open it and try to merge the whole your scene inside.
Let me hear from you.

I will do if I experience new issues. The project is done now.

I have two main issues with Octane:

1. Random Crashes to desktop when I open the Material/Map Browser (Compact Mode). This one is very annoying and not predictable.
2. UI hangs after save which repeat for a about 4min and then back to normal. I posted a video some time ago and got in touch with you about it. I can close 3ds max and reopen without loss of data.

Maybe something is wrong with the way Octane handles the Material Library files and makes it crash.
There is a difference between pressing "Get Material" (the little folder icon) to get a material from library. Or using the "Standard" key to create a new material from scratch. With "Get Material" the material browser opens and displays sub-material mostly, although I closes it every time. I think this could be 3ds max bug.

Today I re-saved my libraries and set the preview to medium size so Octane re-rendered the previews.
PURE3D Visualisierungen
Sys: Intel Core i9-12900K, 128GB RAM, 2x 4090 RTX, Windows 11 Pro x64, 3ds Max 2024.2
mbetke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 am

paride4331 Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 am
mbetke wrote:

Nice to hear I'm not alone.

Let me hear from you.

I will do if I experience new issues. The project is done now.

I have two main issues with Octane:

1. Random Crashes to desktop when I open the Material/Map Browser (Compact Mode). This one is very annoying and not predictable.
2. UI hangs after save which repeat for a about 4min and then back to normal. I posted a video some time ago and got in touch with you about it. I can close 3ds max and reopen without loss of data.

Maybe something is wrong with the way Octane handles the Material Library files and makes it crash.
There is a difference between pressing "Get Material" (the little folder icon) to get a material from library. Or using the "Standard" key to create a new material from scratch. With "Get Material" the material browser opens and displays sub-material mostly, although I closes it every time. I think this could be 3ds max bug.

Today I re-saved my libraries and set the preview to medium size so Octane re-rendered the previews.

Hi mbetke,
if you would make what I asked with a scene you are working on and works with that for a day or so, will be very appreciated.
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby mbetke » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:32 am

mbetke Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:32 am
Got crash to desktop while changing a simple plane "visible to camera" during rendering. Tried to make it not visible to camera.
PURE3D Visualisierungen
mbetke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Releases