OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v4.00 - 6.11 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v4.00 - 6.11 [OBSOLETE]
Sub forum for plugin releases
Forum rules
Any bugs related to this plugin should be reported to the Bug Reports sub-forum.
Bugs related to Octane itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

Re: OctaneRender® for 3ds max® v4.00 - 6.11

Postby neonZorglub » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37 am

neonZorglub Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37 am
mbetke wrote:When I have Forest object and change vegetation models I see both models. Old and new.
Furthermore, even if I hide the Forest object the hidden objects get rendered too.

As soon as I press the "rebuilt scene" button 3dsmax crashes.

Persistance mode is set to "all"
Notify objecs on render are "per object" but it doesn't matter.

Hi mbetke,
Thanks for reporting the crashes you had.
I tried various Forest pack scenes, and changed models, without getting crashes or viewing old models..
The new model is not instantly updated, even if the forest object is set as Movable proxy, but both 'Update geometry' (faster) and 'Rebuild scene' works for me to have new model updated..
You could try to enable Movable proxy for those objects, but it's hard to say if that is related.
If possible, could you send the a scene so that I'll be able to investigate further ?
Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby SergKlyosov » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 am

SergKlyosov Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 am
neonZorglub wrote:
Hi SergKlyosov,
The compression setting for Image tiles is the same as other textures : the 'Channel Format' should have multiple choices, typically for rgb image files, 'Automatic', BC1, BC3, BC7.
(you need to assign at least 1 image file for this choice to appear)

To save multiple passes in a single EXR, first setup the Render Elements with the passes you want (or use 'Export passes selection to Render Elements' in the passes selection menu)
Then, when saving as OpenEXR, the OpenEXR Configuration dialog let you add those render elements.

Note that this will save a main exr with all passes, AND other exr for other passes as well..
You can avoid those extra separate exr file by Right click on the 'save images' icon, instead of the usual left click :
this will let you choose 'save current render passes' or 'save all render passes' ..
'Save current render passes' will save only the main exr file, that will in fact be filled with all passes from the Render Elements.

In my previous message I've attached screenshots, on which you can see "At least one image should be assigned" is already setup. But compression options doesn't appear
So I recorded a video about that issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqvybAUspxk

Regards saving EXR, thank you for explanation, but I still have been encountering same issue, which I reported half a year ago
When single EXR saved from max - it became corrupted and passes have some dots/noise/transparency

I also recorded a video about that issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMxOge7KDuo
Paride told me to use Octane extension for photoshop, so I've tried it several times in the past but this extension is not resolving the issue, file is still corrupted

Hope you can fix it
Win 10 64 | RTX 3090 | i9 9980XE | 64GB RAM
SergKlyosov
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mbetke » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 am

mbetke Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:20 am
Hi mbetke,
Thanks for reporting the crashes you had.
I tried various Forest pack scenes, and changed models, without getting crashes or viewing old models..
The new model is not instantly updated, even if the forest object is set as Movable proxy, but both 'Update geometry' (faster) and 'Rebuild scene' works for me to have new model updated..
You could try to enable Movable proxy for those objects, but it's hard to say if that is related.
If possible, could you send the a scene so that I'll be able to investigate further ?
Thanks

I will sent a stripped down scene to Paride as soon as possible.
Problem with setting Forest objects to movable proxy is the point clouds get invisible once set to moveable proxy. :(
PURE3D Visualisierungen
Sys: Intel Core i9-12900K, 128GB RAM, 2x 4090 RTX, Windows 11 Pro x64, 3ds Max 2024.2
mbetke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SergKlyosov » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:45 pm

SergKlyosov Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:45 pm
Each Max autosave restarts interactive rendering. I guess couple of people already have pointed to that issue, but it seems not to be fixed.

UPDATE: Regular save option is also restarting interactive rendering in OctaneViewport
Last edited by SergKlyosov on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SergKlyosov
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 pm

paride4331 Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 pm
SergKlyosov wrote:
neonZorglub wrote:
Hi SergKlyosov,
The compression setting for Image tiles is the same as other textures : the 'Channel Format' should have multiple choices, typically for rgb image files, 'Automatic', BC1, BC3, BC7.

To save multiple passes in a single EXR, first setup the Render Elements with the passes you want (or use 'Export passes selection to Render Elements' in the passes selection menu)
Then, when saving as OpenEXR, the OpenEXR Configuration dialog let you add those render elements.

Note that this will save a main exr with all passes, AND other exr for other passes as well..
You can avoid those extra separate exr file by Right click on the 'save images' icon, instead of the usual left click :
this will let you choose 'save current render passes' or 'save all render passes' ..
'Save current render passes' will save only the main exr file, that will in fact be filled with all passes from the Render Elements.

In my previous message I've attached screenshots, on which you can see "At least one image should be assigned" is already setup. But compression options doesn't appear
So I recorded a video about that issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqvybAUspxk

Regards saving EXR, thank you for explanation, but I still have been encountering same issue, which I reported half a year ago
When single EXR saved from max - it became corrupted and passes have some dots/noise/transparency

I also recorded a video about that issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMxOge7KDuo
Paride told me to use Octane extension for photoshop, so I've tried it several times in the past but this extension is not resolving the issue, file is still corrupted

Hope you can fix it

Hi SergKlyosov,
I tested render layers issue, I sent it to developers.
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby neonZorglub » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 pm

neonZorglub Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 pm
SergKlyosov wrote:
neonZorglub wrote:
Hi SergKlyosov,

Hope you can fix it

Hi SergKlyosov,
Thanks for the videos.
For the tile compression, I see. The internal list of tiles don't get updated correctly. This will be fixed in the next release.
As a work around for now, you could add the first image using the 'Tile grid' mode (Tile source set to 'Tile grid'). You should then have the correct compression options, and can switch back to Standard texture mode.
For the exr, I'll investigate to fix the corruption from 3dsmax exr save options, or use the Octane exr saving system.
Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rik » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Rik Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:37 pm
Loving the speed increases but think I'm missing out on a couple of things.

I've looked all over the Octane website and searched the manual but can't find any info on either...

UDIM

or

Image tiles

Can you post the links to the instructions/explanations for these features please.
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SergKlyosov » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:07 pm

SergKlyosov Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:07 pm
Rik wrote:Loving the speed increases but think I'm missing out on a couple of things.

I've looked all over the Octane website and searched the manual but can't find any info on either...

UDIM

or

Image tiles

Can you post the links to the instructions/explanations for these features please.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=68575

Cheers
SergKlyosov
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rik » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 pm

Rik Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 pm
Er, thanks.
Read it but still no idea what either of them are for.
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mbetke » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:06 am

mbetke Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:06 am
I updated Drives (with driver cleaner of course) to 417.22. But it happened sometimes in old version too.

It's just a random crash when I have viewport open and want to apply a texture to a slot. This time I pressed on roughness. The Materialbrowser opens and I get Instacrash.

The materialeditor opens with all submaps shown. I guess it is a 3dsmax issue but I don't have an idea how to prevent it. I closed the submaps thousand times but the setting doesn't get saved. So octane loads all sub-maps from my 3D-Scanned materials which are 4k and 8k in size. This could make Octane break. But I have no idea.

Now after reopening 3dsmax and doing the same steps it works. Like I said...random crash from time to time.
Attachments
Random-Crash.jpg
PURE3D Visualisierungen
Sys: Intel Core i9-12900K, 128GB RAM, 2x 4090 RTX, Windows 11 Pro x64, 3ds Max 2024.2
mbetke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Releases