resources question

Forums: resources question
Carrara (Integrated Plugin developed by Sighman)

resources question

Postby protovu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:09 am

protovu Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:09 am
Hi Simon,

Wondering regarding GPU memory:

per the attached image, my Used = 436 MB
But, the Available = 3681 MB

Is this an expected discrepancy, or is there something to adjust to take advantage of more resources?

Thanks for your help,
Rick
Attachments
resources.PNG
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: resources question

Postby mojave » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:18 pm

mojave Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:18 pm
If I understand correctly you are wondering why you cannot use more than 4GB even though some of your devices should have more memory available.

Octane requires uploading a copy of your scene data to each device, so that means that the maximum memory that is available at a time is the minimum from all the devices you enable.

If you would disable your 970 you should see your available memory increased to 6GB and if you also disable you 980ti you should see 12GB as you'd be using just your two TITAN X.

I hope that helps.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby protovu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 pm

protovu Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 pm
Hi Mojave,
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I am wondering why the Used 436 is such a small portion of the overall 3681 Available.

Also, why the 2 numbers added together do not equal the Total.

Per your explanation, if I had 10 Titans, then I would have a very large Available, and a very small used?...But, regardless, rendering would be !0x faster than having 1 Titan?

Finally, if you assure me that the numbers I am seeing make sense in terms of optimizing Octane's performance, then that is good enough for me.

Thank you,
Rick
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:32 pm

mojave Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:32 pm
protovu wrote:Hi Mojave,
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I am wondering why the Used 436 is such a small portion of the overall 3681 Available.

Also, why the 2 numbers added together do not equal the Total.

Per your explanation, if I had 10 Titans, then I would have a very large Available, and a very small used?...But, regardless, rendering would be !0x faster than having 1 Titan?

Finally, if you assure me that the numbers I am seeing make sense in terms of optimizing Octane's performance, then that is good enough for me.

Thank you,
Rick

While Total displays the usable device memory (the minimum of all your GPUs in use by Octane), this includes also memory that may be used exclusively by the OS, which is not available to other applications. The amount that is displayed in as Available would be the amount of memory that Octane can use, that's the reason why they don't add up.

Here you can find more information about the information displayed in the render viewport (for Standalone but also applies to Carrara):

https://docs.otoy.com/StandaloneH/Stand ... ewport.htm
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby protovu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:42 pm

protovu Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:42 pm
Thanks, Mojave.
I will look at the link.

Bottom line, the numbers you see in my capture image seem correct . I need not worry that my system is under utilizing GPU resources, yes?
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:47 pm

mojave Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:47 pm
You are right, all seems correct with your setup.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby protovu » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:30 am

protovu Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:30 am
Thank you, Mojave.

This gives me great peace of mind, and I am grateful.

As an end user, I recognized long ago that my personal resources,... those between my ears......, are best applied
to imagery output...and limited in the capacity to quickly understand the machinery behind that output.

I do incrementally learn these things, but not in a way that allows me to trust my own conclusions...

Best regards,
Rick
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Carrara