OctaneRender for Carrara 3.03.04.23[Stable]

Forums: OctaneRender for Carrara 3.03.04.23[Stable]
Carrara (Integrated Plugin developed by Sighman)

Re: OctaneRender for Carrara 3.0.20.12[Stable]

Postby Sighman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:08 am

Sighman Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:08 am
Sorry, plugins don't have access to the general tab.
Win8/64, I7-4770K (3.5Ghz) 24GB, GTX-980ti (6GB) / GTX-TITAN (6GB)
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby protovu » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:31 pm

protovu Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:31 pm
Sighman wrote:Sorry, plugins don't have access to the general tab.

That's too bad. Could we revert to the effects tab? Or, maybe you are able to add an Octane tab for all Octane parameters? This would sure be helpful easing access to Octane commands.
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby protovu » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:39 pm

protovu Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:39 pm
Sighman wrote:Sorry, plugins don't have access to the general tab.

That's too bad. Could we revert to the effects tab? Or, even better, are you are able to add an Octane tab for all Octane parameters? Just curious....is Daz cooperative with your Carrara efforts, or are they dragged along kicking and screaming to the Octane party. If so, maybe we can organize a mass Carrara/Octane users campaign to influence them.....all 14 of us up in arms....get them shaking in their boots.
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sighman » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Sighman Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:39 pm
As far as I can tell DAZ has given up on supporting Carrara. It has been a year since their last update and as far as I can tell, they don't consider it commercially viable any more. They won't even release support for G3! They are completely non-responsive to any kind of developer request. If you want to run a campaign then get them to open source the product. Only then will we be able to get some serious changes.

I cannot move object layers to effects due to technical issues. What are you using object layers for anyway? Is visibility on the general tab not good enough?
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby protovu » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:57 pm

protovu Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:57 pm
Sighman wrote:As far as I can tell DAZ has given up on supporting Carrara. It has been a year since their last update and as far as I can tell, they don't consider it commercially viable any more. They won't even release support for G3! They are completely non-responsive to any kind of developer request. If you want to run a campaign then get them to open source the product. Only then will we be able to get some serious changes.

I cannot move object layers to effects due to technical issues. What are you using object layers for anyway? Is visibility on the general tab not good enough?

Hi Simon,

The Objects Layers is really handy for a variety of reasons. One big reason: the ability to turn off shadows associated with a given object. This was something I used a great deal with the Car native renderer. Very important.
Another helpful feature: the ability to fade a multi-material object or group without the need to dig into the Opacity Channel of each Material of the Group or multi-material object.

I do not understand Random Color Seed, and cannot seem to get it to do anything. A with and without image example would be very helpful....or is this an animation feature?

Do you know of any protocol for requesting open source for Carrara? This is completely new territory for me. I am thinking I might just start by trying to call Daz.

thank you,
Rick
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sighman » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:27 pm

Sighman Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:27 pm
Ok, it sounds like you are using object layers like they were intended. The random color seed is used when you use the random color shader with multiple instances (replicators). I don't know the technical reason why it needed to be added to the object layer.

Look up the history of blender for making a product open source. There was a campaign to raise a lot of money to buy the rights from the company that originally developed blender. I don't know if there are enough people in the Carrara community to buy the rights to Carrara in order to make it open source. I doubt Daz would release the software for free. The question is, would they even consider making it open source and at what price. I have no idea how to even begin such a process.
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Carrara 3.03.04.21[Stable]

Postby Sighman » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Sighman Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:14 pm
New [Stable] release posted here. Compiled with the latest Octane SDK (3.03.04). Be sure to update your remote nodes if you are using network rendering. ;)
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby protovu » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:36 pm

protovu Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:36 pm
Hi Simon,
I am encountering an error in this and the previous 3.x version. This error is intermittent and very disruptive. When trying to marquee on the sequencer, the error presents.
I have tried to figure out how to stimulate the error and have a clue that may mean something to you:
1. it seems, that I can make the error happen following a file save.

One other clue: this was a regular error with my first 2.0 Octane versions which seemed to correspond to Materials that were not fully switched over from Carrara Shaders. For example, the Shader tree might have "Multi-Channel" instead of "None" below "Octane Material". Or, a "Layers List" element might have been hiding in an Octane Material.

Final clue: This issue was completely resolved in the previous, last 2.x version. So resolved, that I could accidentally have a Carrara polluted Octane Material, and there would be no issue, nor error.

I am hopeful you can address this soon as I am in a heavy project now.
Thank you for your help,
Rick
Attachments
error.jpg
error when marqueing in sequencer.zip
(22.88 MiB) Downloaded 324 times
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sighman » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:54 pm

Sighman Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:54 pm
I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by marquee. Do you mean you are scrubbing the timeline? Are you just moving the timeline cursor or creating a range? I'm on vacation for the next week so I doubt I can get anything to you within the next 10 days.
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby protovu » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:45 am

protovu Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:45 am
Sighman wrote:I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by marquee. Do you mean you are scrubbing the timeline? Are you just moving the timeline cursor or creating a range? I'm on vacation for the next week so I doubt I can get anything to you within the next 10 days.

Hi Simon,
Marquee is the term for using the cursor to describe a rectangular shape which surrounds keyframes and the tweens between the keyframes. The ability to select multiple vertical and horizontal keyframes and tweens for more than a single object. The multiple selection can be moved and adjusted horizontally, maintaining important timing relationships.

10 days will sure be difficult. No one else can help?

Note: I may have found another clue/work around. As you know, the error comes up after a file save. I just stimulated the error, and as an experiment, held the shift key down and selected multiple sequencer items, one at a time. Then, and I have only tried this just this one time, I was able to successfully marquee. Maybe this can get me through......
Attachments
marquee.jpg
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Carrara