OctaneRender for Carrara 3.0.0.5 [Test]

Forums: OctaneRender for Carrara 3.0.0.5 [Test]
Carrara (Integrated Plugin developed by Sighman)

OctaneRender for Carrara 3.0.0.5 [Test]

Postby Sighman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:54 am

Sighman Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:54 am
WARNING: This version has had limited testing. Use at your own risk!

Changes in 3.0.0.5
  • Fixed problem with animated Octane Environment settings not changing during an animation.
  • Fixed problem with animated Octane Light (Point & Spot) settings not changing during an animation or while panning the timeline.
  • Completely revamped Object Layer configuration. Object Layers are no longer an effect, they are modifiers. (See notes below.)
  • Added Baking Camera support. (See notes below.)

Changes in 3.0.0.4
  • Fixed a problem with visibility where instances that were not initially visible would not become visible when visibility was enabled.
  • Fixed a visibility issue where Carrara could crash when toggling the visibility of multiple objects.
  • Fixed the loading of Live DB materials where a material is contained in multiple node graphs. (corrugated mesh for example).
  • Fixed problem where rendering an animation could stall if nothing in the scene changed.
  • Added the Microsoft VC 110 (2012) CRT runtime to the installer.

Changes in 3.0.0.3
  • Fixed restoring animation settings on scene load.
  • Fixed volumetric cloud rendering (corrected transforms).
  • Added early support for fountain volumes. These can be animated. See notes.

Changes in 3.0.0.2
  • Based on Octane Render SDK 3.0 Alpha 6
  • Added new Volume medium.
  • Added support for loading OpenVDB files into Carrara volumes (fire, fog, and clouds). See notes.
  • Volumes (Cloud & VDB) now work with replicators.
  • Alpha period extended until May 1st.

Changes in 3.0.0.1
  • Fixed saving corrupt scene files by changing the render pass setting ids to be Carrara conformant. Note that any scenes saved with version 3.0.0.0 of the plugin are corrupt and cannot be recovered. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Changes in 3.0.0.0
  • Linked against Octane SDK 3.0 alpha 2
  • Added new 'level' option to displacement shader.
  • Added new medium option to Octane Environment effect.
  • Updated Render Target Settings for the 3.0 SDK.
  • Added support for the new Render Passes including new Render Pass save options.
  • Added option to save Deep Image EXR files.
  • Added support for Cloud Volumes (see notes below.)

Quick Notes:
The new Octane Object Layer modifier
This change was driven by a bug in Carrara when dealing with Effects on a Genesis (any generation) character. If you modify anything in the Effects Tab on a genesis character (such as Blur) Carrara will hang for about a minute and then, at some point later on, Carrara will crash. In order to support a baking camera with Genesis I needed to change the Octane Object Layer effect to be a modifier instead. This is unfortunately, a breaking change to old scenes that use object layers. Objects layers will not load when you load an old project that uses the Octane Object Layer effect. You will need to reconfigure the object layer using the new Octane Object Layer modifier instead.

The Octane Object Layer modifier is added from an instance's Modifiers tab. This modifier is identical to the old effect configuration with the exception that there is a new Domains button. The Domains button allows you to create separate object layers for the different material domains on a figure. This is important when you want to bake the texture of a complex figure that uses multiple material maps (such as V4 or Genesis). The idea is that you Add a new object layer, name it something useful, assign it a unique Baking Group ID, and then transfer material domains to it using the >> button. Those material domains will then use the new object layer settings instead of the default ones. Note that the Domains button will not be enabled if the selected figure only contains a single material domain.

The new Octane Baking Camera
To use the baking camera, add a new Conical camera to your scene and then switch it to an Octane Baking Camera. Set the Baking Group ID to the baking group ID you configured in the Octane Object Layer modifier and render. I'll add a more detailed tutorial soon.

Fountains
Fountains will now render in octane as a volume. The particles in the fountain add a volume density to the grid where they are located. Right now there are no options but you will be able to adjust the particle size and weight soon. I wanted to get a fix out for volumetric clouds so treat this as an early preview. Any suggestions for improvements are always welcome. I am also thinking of doing the same thing for emitters and meta balls.

VDB Files
To load a VDB file, add a Carrara Volume (Fire, Cloud, or Fog) to your scene. Select the volume and open the Effects Tab. You should now see a Carrara OpenVDB effect that you can use to load a VDB file into the area where the Carrara Volume is positioned. You can scale and move the VDB volume by manipulating the dimensions and position of the Carrara volume.

Volumetric Clouds
Carrara has volumetric clouds that can be rendered in Octane 3.0. I cannot gain direct access to the volumetric data held within Carrara but I can resample the volume. The default resample size is 100x100x100 but you can change this using the Octane Cloud effect. Rendering clouds in Octane is disabled by default so you need to visit each cloud instance and select Enable in the Octane Cloud effect. You can also assign an Octane Medium shader to a cloud instance. This will allow you to change the Absorption, Scattering, and Emission of the rendered cloud. This is done through the standard Carrara shader mechanism. The Carrara native renderer does not use shaders for Volumetric Clouds but you can assign one anyway and Octane will use it if you make it an Octane Medium shader.

Note that only the 'new' Carrara volumetric clouds are supported for Octane volumetric clouds. The clouds, fire, and fog volumes do not expose any volumetric data however you can load a VDB file into them.

Also, please let me know if you are interested in Cloud Rendering (using OTOY's OCS cloud rendering service).

As usual, please let me know if you find ANY other issues.

ATTENTION: This version is based on Octane 3.0. That means you need to update your NVIDIA graphics drivers.

Happy Rendering...

Download Links:
OctaneRender for Carrara (64-bit) 3.0.0.5
Last edited by Sighman on Sun May 15, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Win8/64, I7-4770K (3.5Ghz) 24GB, GTX-980ti (6GB) / GTX-TITAN (6GB)
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Carrara 3.0.0.2 [Test]

Postby 3dage » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:22 am

3dage Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:22 am
HI Sighman

I'm not getting volumetric clouds in this,. the VDB stuff is working great, although the sample files i've downloaded from OpenVDB.org don't seem to be animated.

I've tried adding Volumetric clouds and get nothing rendering,. if I add an octane medium / volume shader, and set the absorption ramp, I can see a large black cube,. much larger than the cloud bounding box and in a different position to the cloud.

if i load a previous scene,. i'm not getting the clouds.

on another thing,. i'm having issues installing both the beta and the current 2 ,. when i try to install the latest .2 plugin it tells me that a newer version is installed and stops.
is it possible to adapt the installer to cope with having two installs,. as long as one is beta, or do I just move files.

anyway,. Great work, and thank you. :)
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Quad core 3ghz.
12GB ram , 2TB HDD Win 7 pro 64bit
Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti 2GB
3dage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EddyMI3D » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:44 am

EddyMI3D Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:44 am
Hello 3dage,

I've got the clouds for a short moment with the latest Nvidia driver (364).
But size and Position of the cloud do not correspondent between Assemble Room and the Octane Render
My Rig:
PC with AMD FX 8350 @ 4,00 GHz
Win 7-64
Nvidia GTX 760
Nvidia GTX 970 (only for rendering)
About 6 TB of disk space (768 GB of SSD)
Octane/Octane for Carrara
EddyMI3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sighman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:09 am

Sighman Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:09 am
Sorry, the latest sdk broke my implementation of volumetric clouds. I'll fix this in the next update.
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sighman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:18 am

Sighman Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:18 am
VDB files do not contain animations. To animate you need to load a series of vdb files like you would do with an animated series of bitmap images. However, I do not support loading a file series yet.
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sighman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:25 am

Sighman Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:25 am
To install version 2 and version 3 you need separate installs of Carrara. You will need to install OR4C version 2 first and copy the Octane extension files. Then you can install version 3.
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Carrara 3.0.0.3 [Test]

Postby Sighman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:08 am

Sighman Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:08 am
New update posted to this thread. Some fixes and a new volume object: fountains!

[ Play Quicktime file ] fountain2.mp4 [ 2.75 MiB | Viewed 8210 times ]

Fountain.zip
Source
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby PhilW » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:54 am

PhilW Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:54 am
I have my (1 month old) laptop back from the manufacturer's repair centre after having hardware issues and am trying to load and run everything. I am still getting that when I try to run 3.0.0.3, and try to open Carrara, it reports "OctanePlugin.mcx failed to load". If I then try to load a scene or create a new scene, I just get "An error has occurred". I have checked that I have the latest driver for my GTX 960M (4GB). I have the standalones for Octane 2 and 3 (alpha) installed. Please help!

Also when running the latest version 2 Octane (which runs fine and at least 5 times faster than my old machine), I cannot appear to keyframe the focal length any more - I am sure that I used to be able to do this.

Thanks.
PhilW
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PhilW » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:12 am

PhilW Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:12 am
Further to this - I have removed 3.0.0.3 and re-installed version 2 which was working fine earlier, and I am now getting the same "OctanePlugin.mcx failed to load", and if I then try to load a scene or create a new scene, I just get "An error has occurred". Which will mean that I will have to uninstall Octane Render for Carrara completely just to do anything! Please help urgently as I have come to rely on Octane for all my Carrara rendering.

P.S. I tried re-installing 2.25.0082 and this works, albeit the keyframing of focal length is not working, but at least I can render stuff. But both 2.25.0085 and 3.0.0.3 are leading to the issues above.
PhilW
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sighman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Sighman Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:53 pm
I just tried installing Carrara 8.5 and the 3.0.0.3 plugin for the first time on a Windows 10 laptop and I had no issues. So I am not sure what might be wrong. The plugin does depend on .net 4.5 and the 2012 c++ runtime. Maybe one of those did not get installed? Does the v3 alpha 6 standalone work.

Edit: I meant 2012 vc++ runtime, not 2008.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=30679
Sighman
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Carrara