Can't figure out how to activate the plugin... again.

Forums: Can't figure out how to activate the plugin... again.
Carrara (Integrated Plugin developed by Sighman)

Can't figure out how to activate the plugin... again.

Postby Jonstark » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:42 am

Jonstark Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:42 am
I don't really know why my plugin deactivates itself, but it seems once again I'm stuck trying to figure out how to activate my carrara plugin and can't for the life of me figuring out why it won't activate. I've tried unlocking on the license page in my account for both the standalone and the plugin, I have no problems activating the standalone but with the carrara plugin no matter what I do when I try to activate it goes to a 'could not find the required license or your subscription has expired'. Doesn't direct me anywhere, just loops to a 'retry' prompt. Can anyone shed some light on what I'm supposed to be doing to make this work?
Jonstark
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Can't figure out how to activate the plugin... again.

Postby protovu » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:11 am

protovu Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:11 am
I feel your pain. Went through this with Blender Octane following a Windows update a while ago ( I still use Carrara for legacy work, but the less the better for me ).

There are a couple of things to try:

-disable anti-virus, or make sure all things Octane are whitelisted.
-restarts sometimes help, certainly after any version updates.
-confirm your password
-reach out to Tech support.

Hope it resolves for you.
protovu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jonstark » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:33 pm

Jonstark Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:33 pm
Thanks protovu, ultimately it was good advice to reach out to tech support, which I eventually did, but not before trying everything else I could think of in frustration. I even bought a subscription rental for Studio for a month, and even that didn't work. I thought 'hey it's only 20 dollars, let's see what happens..' but I wasn't thinking clearly, since it's actually 20 euros, which is more expensive, so that was a boneheaded move that wasted a bit of money for no good reason.

Tech support was very good, they asked me to provide screenshots of my Licenses page, my Subscriptions page, and the error message I was receiving. Then they pointed out that my licenses were for Studio version and not the Enterprise version (the license page didn't show me that, at least not clearly where I could see) and I had managed to download the Enterprise version for Carrara. When I initially saw that I had been deactivated on my machine (which I'm guessing happens periodically) I figured I might as well upgrade to the latest version to see what was new and play around with it. Because it's not super clear on the downloads page what the differences are, I accidentally grabbed the Enterprise upgrade instead of the Studio upgrade. Anyway it was easily solved once tech support told me to go download the Studio version, now it appears to work just fine. So ultimately it was my own blunder that caused this :) I know myself pretty well, and I'm likely to repeat this mistake again in the future, so that's why I'm writing the full version of events so I can just re-read my post when I inevitably screw up like this again. :)

Now that it's working, going to have a look-see and play around to see what's new... :)
Jonstark
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jonstark » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:47 am

Jonstark Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:47 am
Oh man, I'm really confused now... I just looked closer at the About/Activate window and it shows that my Carrara plugin no longer shows as perpetual license but instead is showing that it will expire in about 5 weeks. So I'm guessing that the Studio 'rental' I purchased last night and then immediately cancelled when it didn't work, is what is licensing my Studio version of Carrara that's running.

But what about the original perpetual license I bought for Carrara? Why isn't that working? I'm speculating maybe it only supports up to a certain version, like maybe Octane 3, which is what I was running back when I was actively playing with it a few years ago when I bought it, and maybe that doesn't apply to the newer versions? I can't find any info anywhere to tell me what it is my perpetual license actually covers, so I'm just guessing in the dark now. If I'm right, then maybe by downgrading back to Octane 3.x it will all work normally again? I'm just confused. It's working now (sorta; I still have to figure out why I can't access any of the Octane settings in my Carrara scene tab), but that's no real solution at all if it's all going to shut off again in a month. :(
Jonstark
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Carrara