The GPU conundrum

Forums: The GPU conundrum
Area for student license holders to post questions and discuss octane.

The GPU conundrum

Postby Witpapier » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Witpapier Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:13 pm
Dear Otoy

So Ive been using Octane since before V1.0, I've bought every update until subscription became mandatory to get new features. I remember the days where I bought a X99 system so I can have 4x GTX 780TI cards running at once. It was a good time in Octane. Sad thing nowadays is that If I don't spend the equivalent of a new GPU in value a year I cant even use more than one GPU at a time. Now I understand that people at Otoy need to make a living, and that things change when you expand your business into more branches and that creates more opportunities and the need for more resources. The Only Logic I cannot understand, I have two RTX 2080 TI cards atm... these was not cheap at all, now I will be forced to buy a RTX 3090 to benefit from faster renders, either that or I buy a subscription. The time has come where I actually get faster renders with Iray due to the fact that it will utilize as many GPU's as I can throw at it. I am so comfortable with Octane, but I cant help but feel some greed in limiting the users from using the hard earned hardware. why not rather make it so feature rich that I want to support Octanerender, rather than try and force me to subscribe by disabling me from using my hardware to their full extend. I feel dismayed that I am worse off now than I did when I first started, At least make the last paid version of Octanerender have the same support for hardware it had when it first came out.

Yours faithfully,
Disappointed
RedSpec TGX for Poser / OctaneRender - OUT NOW visit http://redspec-sss.com/
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: The GPU conundrum

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:47 am

bepeg4d Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:47 am
Sorry but, do you know another high-end 3d render engine that offers a free 1x GPU full features version for Blender, DAZ, Unity, and Unreal Engine?
Or another high-end 3d render engine that is not asking you to purchase again the full package, if you skip a couple of updates?

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby Witpapier » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:26 pm

Witpapier Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:26 pm
bepeg4d wrote:Sorry but, do you know another high-end 3d render engine that offers a free 1x GPU full features version for Blender, DAZ, Unity, and Unreal Engine?
Or another high-end 3d render engine that is not asking you to purchase again the full package, if you skip a couple of updates?

ciao Beppe

I am a Octane user from the start, I bought it in 2012, and bought every upgrade thereafter, so I think I know Octane well enough to know that things changed drastically, theres a reason I did not even consider any other render engine at that time, Octane was fast, but it was not perfect.... it matured a lot since then, but its almost like it outgrew us early adopters that could have afforded a 100 bucks, nowadays that has increased 100% plus.... on an annual basis. In the beginning one felt part of the team, one promoted it to your friends, fellow artists ect, we all helped it grow. now that the dust settled, I do feel left behind. Thats all I am saying. Octane used to be kinda Basic but limitless, now its feature rich and limiting,
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 pm

Goldorak Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 pm
Witpapier wrote:Dear Otoy

So Ive been using Octane since before V1.0, I've bought every update until subscription became mandatory to get new features. I remember the days where I bought a X99 system so I can have 4x GTX 780TI cards running at once. It was a good time in Octane. Sad thing nowadays is that If I don't spend the equivalent of a new GPU in value a year I cant even use more than one GPU at a time. Now I understand that people at Otoy need to make a living, and that things change when you expand your business into more branches and that creates more opportunities and the need for more resources. The Only Logic I cannot understand, I have two RTX 2080 TI cards atm... these was not cheap at all, now I will be forced to buy a RTX 3090 to benefit from faster renders, either that or I buy a subscription. The time has come where I actually get faster renders with Iray due to the fact that it will utilize as many GPU's as I can throw at it. I am so comfortable with Octane, but I cant help but feel some greed in limiting the users from using the hard earned hardware. why not rather make it so feature rich that I want to support Octanerender, rather than try and force me to subscribe by disabling me from using my hardware to their full extend. I feel dismayed that I am worse off now than I did when I first started, At least make the last paid version of Octanerender have the same support for hardware it had when it first came out.

Yours faithfully,
Disappointed

Thank you for the direct feedback and also for your many years of support.

I really want to help everyone out, especially long time users like yourself - pricing is set the way it is to cover dev costs, so we can keep making Octane work as well as we possibly can at the best value to users. To be clear, you can still buy or upgrade to perpetual Octane 2020. I know that the upgrade price to 2020 perpetual from an old V3 license may seem high, but it is priced to cover years and years of major updates between V3 (the last paid perpetual upgrade - V4 upgrade was not charged to V3 users) and now 2020.2 (V9). Maintenance for an older V3/V4 boxed license is as low as 14.95/month (without a perpetual option), which is half the price of the monthly enterprise sub, so 50% off for long time users. That's pretty low IMO, but we still offer full Octane commercially through the free prime tier (which is coming to MacOS for a year) and we are a;sp exploring UBL (usage based license) as alternatives to recurring paid plans.

Always open to other ideas and feedback on how we can do better.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Witpapier » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:37 pm

Witpapier Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:37 pm
Goldorak wrote:
Witpapier wrote:Dear Otoy

Yours faithfully,
Disappointed

Thank you for the direct feedback and also for your many years of support.

I really want to help everyone out, especially long time users like yourself - pricing is set the way it is to cover dev costs, so we can keep making Octane work as well as we possibly can at the best value to users. To be clear, you can still buy or upgrade to perpetual Octane 2020. I know that the upgrade price to 2020 perpetual from an old V3 license may seem high, but it is priced to cover years and years of major updates between V3 (the last paid perpetual upgrade - V4 upgrade was not charged to V3 users) and now 2020.2 (V9). Maintenance for an older V3/V4 boxed license is as low as 14.95/month (without a perpetual option), which is half the price of the monthly enterprise sub, so 50% off for long time users. That's pretty low IMO, but we still offer full Octane commercially through the free prime tier (which is coming to MacOS for a year) and we are a;sp exploring UBL (usage based license) as alternatives to recurring paid plans.

Always open to other ideas and feedback on how we can do better.

Thanx for the response, appreciate it. The UBL option could be an option too, as I am the user that's more of a hobbyist , so weeks may go by where I am not using the software, that is why a subscription is a bit overkill for me. I am old school in the sense that I like to buy something and have it. and since I am not using Octane as a way to make a living I cannot justify the price for my senario. I might be the only one that uses it like this, But being a long-time user of "Daz Studio" I know that there is many artists that might feel the same as I do. I probably only use a tiny part of what octane has to offer. I am even fine with using the current V4 or V9. To make a long story short, The big attraction was the speed, and boy has it always been fast... but maybe consider that the average user out there with a normal Intel or AMD system would have at least 2 x PCIe slots that can be utilized for gpu stacking. Maybe just limit it to two GPU's, The logic is just a bit broken atm, I can use a RTX 3090, but not 2x 2080 ti. Just sharing my thoughts here. :D
Witpapier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion