PCIe Lane issue.

Forums: PCIe Lane issue.
Area for student license holders to post questions and discuss octane.

PCIe Lane issue.

Postby electric_eric » Tue May 09, 2017 12:48 pm

electric_eric Tue May 09, 2017 12:48 pm
Hi,

I've been using one of Amfeltecs external GPU clusters for a couple of years now, see below:
http://amfeltec.com/products/gpu-oriented-cluster/

I've been running 6 x 780ti without issues and lately I decided to upgrade to 6 x 980ti.

I've swapped the cards over to the 980ti's and they power on fine, using the multiple 1000w PSU's. However now I am getting issues with them not being recognised by the pc.

They are not showing up in the device manager and I am getting errors such as 'not enough resources' etc which leads me to think it has something to do with a lack of pcie lanes.

I have a Intel Core i7 6700K Processor which has 16 pcie lanes, which should be enough to cope with 6x 980ti?? Is this enough?

I'm at a loss on what to do to be honest, hence why I'm posting here so any help at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Simon
Intel i7 6700k - 64gb Ram - 6 x 980ti
electric_eric
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: PCIe Lane issue.

Postby acc24ex » Tue May 09, 2017 1:28 pm

acc24ex Tue May 09, 2017 1:28 pm
..your setup should work, I'm interested how you fixed this as I was interested in this expansion setup as well..
- I had a similar problem, but it was due to the riser which didn't have enough power for it to run a 590gtx - but 980ti uses the same amount of power as 780ti - also I ended up loosing connectivity on some pci slots - not sure what happened, but whatever I put into 3 of the 7 slots doesn't get recognised (the board is 5 years old now, maybe just something burned through finally)..

- check the cables, check the pci buses.. plug them in individually into the existing pci-e slots to see if those work find - I know I got a clusterfuck trying to fill all the slots with riser cards - they powered up, but system didn't see them - it was always due to the connectors

- what understood so far, the limitation is that you can plug max of 7 pci devices on some boards.. and it should be up to the motherboard not the cpu
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby electric_eric » Tue May 09, 2017 1:36 pm

electric_eric Tue May 09, 2017 1:36 pm
This is the motherboard I have:

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA- ... -rev-10#sp

As I said, this has been working fine with the 780ti's so maybe it is just a case of double checking all the cables.

Maybe I simply have the cards in the wrong configuration and not making the best use of the onboard pcie slots.

Will let you know if I get anywhere with this.

Cheers
Intel i7 6700k - 64gb Ram - 6 x 980ti
electric_eric
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby acc24ex » Tue May 09, 2017 2:00 pm

acc24ex Tue May 09, 2017 2:00 pm
yeah, I'm 99% on that it isn't the pci lanes.. also, try adding one by one, to see when it starts failing.. it really looks like it should work by simply switching the cards..
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion