if i was going to buy

Forums: if i was going to buy
Area for student license holders to post questions and discuss octane.

if i was going to buy

Postby b1gdan » Thu May 15, 2014 9:25 am

b1gdan Thu May 15, 2014 9:25 am
Studio workflow.

So i am in a team who use vray for C4D at the moment and we have a render farm which I know if we move to octane will be useless as we are CPU based at the moment.

But our workflow at the moment is C4D bridge to vray when ready to render we send our jobs to the client and can control them from anywhere and also watch how much is done and cue jobs from all our computers only needing a licence on our workstations and the farm uses the included render client license from vray.

My question is – how does the work flow work in Octane for C4D we are looking at investing in hardware and also licenses with you guys but we would like to know if we wanted a similar workflow to Vray C4D how would we go about it. Is there a floating licence we can use? And its there such thing as a farm feature where we can access render power from other sources i.e farm or other workstations.

Many thanks.
b1gdan

Re: if i was going to buy

Postby glimpse » Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 am

glimpse Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 am
hi there,

Network rendering was introduced & is comming with version 2.0 (there's a thread about Octane for lightwave - check active topics where plugin developer is teasing some functionality with screenshots & videos). So Octane will have it soon =)

As for licences You need them for every node - if You're using plugin, You need standalone licence too. They mentioned something that might consider lovered package prices (if You buy multiple), but nothing concrete for the moment (at least I haven't read).

As for render farms - there's none yet. But they are building their own cloud solutions based on Amazon AWS - that will be remote workstations & sort of renderfarm too (however not so much info 'bout it yet).

They introduced ORBX (talking not about the codec, but the new format), that is going to enable transfer scenes from plugins to StandAlone application - so in theory..

if the network enabaled version coming & plugins will have this functionality too.. You can buy Stand Alone licences only (as they will be enough to do the network rendering, no matter where You've prepared the scene).

I might get something wrong out here, so take those with a grain of salt - hoever that's what I've understood from all those small talks around scatered on this topic =)

Still need to wait a bit for release of all those features to be sure how they are going to work =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion