is Lua going to be available on 3dmaxplugin and others?

Forums: is Lua going to be available on 3dmaxplugin and others?
Forum for OctaneRender Lua scripting examples, discussion and support.

is Lua going to be available on 3dmaxplugin and others?

Postby acc24ex » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:39 pm

acc24ex Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:39 pm
- question in the title - is Lua going to be available in 3ds max plugin.. ?
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: is Lua going to be available on 3dmaxplugin and others?

Postby abstrax » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:48 pm

abstrax Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:48 pm
acc24ex wrote:- question in the title - is Lua going to be available in 3ds max plugin.. ?

I think it would be possible to make it available. For now we didn't wee a reason to do it. So, why would you need it?
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby grimm » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:25 pm

grimm Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:25 pm
I think he means that it would be nice to have the ability to run Octane scripts through the plugin? If not, sorry, but I would still like to have that ability. ;)

Jason
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:53 pm

abstrax Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:53 pm
grimm wrote:I think he means that it would be nice to have the ability to run Octane scripts through the plugin? If not, sorry, but I would still like to have that ability. ;)

Jason

Again, why would you want it? For what would you use it?
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby grimm » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:06 pm

grimm Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:06 pm
At one point while testing the Blender plugin I wanted to do a quick turntable animation. I could have figured it out in Blender but it would have been easier to just do it in Octane stand alone.

I can see that supporting the scripts in the plugins would be very painful to do and may not be a good reason to spend resources for. But maybe support for scripts without a GUI would be easier to do, then users could get access to some of Octane's script resources from the plugin?

This is just an example, eventually there will be script resources in Octane that don't have a direct correlation with in the app that the plugin is connecting to.
Linux Mint 20 x64 | Nvidia GTX 980 4GB (displays) RTX 2070 8GB| Intel I7 5820K 3.8 Ghz | 32Gb Memory | Nvidia Driver 460.56
grimm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:41 am

stratified Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:41 am
In the standalone, the node system is right in your face and it's intuitive what the script does. The node system is exposed differently in each host application so it's a bit tricky. I don't know if each host app for example has explicitly exposed a render target node.

We have to think about it some more.

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby acc24ex » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:53 pm

acc24ex Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:53 pm
.. yes the point is I would love run octane scripts in 3ds max plugin (in my case)

- furthermore - it was said that the octane plugin are going to have the same functionality as octane standalone

- I saw that texture paint script you did (didn't manage to run it though, don't know what the prob was ..) - and remembered I tried an identical 3dsmax feature - which works nicely in standard materials, but not with the octane ones (maybe I could do some scripting around that - basically only needs to convert to octane materials to work)

- anyway - recently started doing scripting in 3dmax (thanks to Oguz doing his stuff and getting my attention) - started doing basic stuff like adding buttons for most common tasks, like switch to octane plugin,open octane viewport, add sun, add a studio backdrop, playing with convert materials from wirecolor to octane materials - stuff missing or developer not having enought time to implement, or because it suits my workflow cause I am lazy - the standard reasoning why to use scripts in the first place :)
.. I'd also scripts that do neat stuff like gradients through objects, random colurs.. all the stuff that works with standard material or vray and not with octane..

- also aiming towards a one click automagic button, so I can just jump into rendering (like when you use GoZ from zbrush to 3dmax, you get an empty scene, or it changes default render to standard every time you upload to the scene.. I need the automagic button there - also this could be used for noobs to get instant octane magic :) .. not that difficult once you figure out the patterns through examples on the net, just requires organizing

.. so it got me thinking what could be achievable also going through the octane Lua scripting - making custom textures, for example - the one that was featured here to paint your own texture - is almost ideal for what I had in mind.. some basic geometry patterns would be nice -

.. also that could prove to be a good way to do some automatic conversions to say, blender, c4d, modo octane plugins .. other then alembic.. maybe some feature specific stuff (I was using c4d a lot before, and still like some of its features)

- I'm just thinking this through since I just realized how much more you can control via all the scripting (neat way of manipulating stuff the way you feel you need)

-this is like an alpha version.. got big pretty quickly - added scripts from other users (with credentials of course)
octane toolbox.jpg

- been using that Oguz obj visibility all the time.. cheers to him

- like once you start rendering out, you only manipulate a few things that sometimes require three clicks instead of one (so you do not get distracted a lot) - and aimed towards two monitor setup

- I am not using the octane standard software almost at all since I got it as a plugin my host app - and I would love the neat features from Lua - you could give it a go - at least something, one thing to play around - like enabling that paint texture script to run inside 3dmax - that could be a potential way to add new functionality to max maybe .. they did open a pipeline for python scripting

further on .. some script eyecandy to prove some points
gradient to octane glossy material (or diffuse or specular)
gradientE.png

random black white octane material selected objects - and spinner to add marble texture and manipulate its power randomly..
gradient HSV2.jpg

- this from plugin that manipulates the wirecolor with rgb or hsb or .. a lot of those in scriptspot.com (sketchup and 3ds max scripts) .. to defualt color of object..whatever - and did some basic scripting to turn them all to octane materials (with eyes turning blood red deep into the night)
featuring
is-that-tree-eating-the-sky.jpg

- see how pictures make you enable you point :)

--also I stared adding -- marks to posts since this is the script thing for when you want to block out a comment Or Uncomment (that word doesn't even comply in the spellchecker) next /* what are you even talking about */

1 delete $

pics or it didn't happen:

gradient and marble texture
gradienth.jpg

voronoi frag modifier (from scriptstop) and gradient to octane specular and glossy via Octane toolbox (automagic)
gradientg.jpg

- this was the motivation to get me thinking what can octane scripting do to extend even more on this? .. like add bump from Lua scipt - I think this should require something like a Lua texture node - like turbulence or marble
Attachments
script bump.JPG
script bump.JPG (12.55 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:00 pm

face Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:00 pm
It is fact, that each plugin can do the same things which you can do in lua scripting.
The difference is only, that maximal 3 man writing one plugin.
With scripting, everyone can do it.

But i don´t know how to make the lua scripting available to each user in the plugins.
The problem is, you need a feedback in the host application.
As example, generate an UI in lua, how the plugin should show and access it?
How the plugin should know, what you want with the UI?
Should it generate a texture, then the plugin must convert the lua code in a shader, which can be used in the host app.
When you want to generate a geometry, the plugin must also create the geometry in the host app to have a visual feedback.
You must also connect the lua script with the generated object to make changes possible.

With other words, you must implement the lua script as a (additional) language in the host app.
It isn´t enough that the plugins can have access to lua.

face
Win10 Pro, Driver 378.78, Softimage 2015SP2 & Octane 3.05 RC1,
64GB Ram, i7-6950X, GTX1080TI 11GB
http://vimeo.com/user2509578
face
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Proupin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:20 pm

Proupin Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:20 pm
Well, that kind of sucks then. Lua will keep bringing new features that will only be available to standalone, such as new procedural maps if that was the case. Maybe if Lua scripts could be compiled in a way that extended Octane and revealed in the plugins?
Win 7 64bits / Intel i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz / Geforce GTX 470 / 8GB Ram / 3DS Max 2012 64bits
http://proupinworks.blogspot.com/
Proupin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lua Scripting