AWS Workstation vs AWS Desktop vs X.IO

Forums: AWS Workstation vs AWS Desktop vs X.IO
Discussion forum for ORBX on OTOY's Amazon AMIs

AWS Workstation vs AWS Desktop vs X.IO

Postby jingles » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:51 pm

jingles Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:51 pm
I'm looking to run Cinema 4D with Octane (or without I suppose too) through the cloud as a workstation.

I've got experience with loading AWS AMI's (windows servers) and creating a basic remote connection to run Adobe or Cinema. Though this was in the last 2 years so things have changed.

What's the difference between OToy's "Workstation", "Desktop" and X.IO options?
Which would be a good fit for my needs? Lastly, how can I estimate costs?

Thanks
PS. I've read every forum posting on this site for ORC among other threads, but nothing clearly states how they overlap.
jingles
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: AWS Workstation vs AWS Desktop vs X.IO

Postby Goldorak » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:18 pm

Goldorak Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:18 pm
the AWS AMIs are really just for experimentation, which is why they are free. If you want commercial grade app streaming and high level enterprise features, you can use X.IO. For anything app that has an Octane plug-in, we are working on making this an integrated part of our cloud offering, assuming the licence permits this.

ORC is very different than a live stream. It is meant to handle huge jobs - e.g rendering 100s of frames of animation in parallel each on a few GPUs for example. You can also have it do tiled renders for large images, like stereo cube maps for VR.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Faustik » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:43 am

Faustik Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:43 am
Hi guys,
I think that I have almost the same question. Today I´ve just try in browser desktop.otoy.com, and then suddenly appears virtual remote desktop. And then I´ve read something about OctaneRender live app that should cost 9,99 USD per month and I saw something about X.IO, so I´m little bit confused.

So my basic question and target is, that I want to use sometimes Octane in my laptop´s browser or app for some small projects when I´m travelling out. What is the best solution?

Many thanks!
Win7 64bit SP1 / i5 2500k 3,3GHz / RAM 8Gb / MB Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H -graphic integrated for display / 2x NVidia GeForce GTX 570 1280MB / HD 1TB
Archicad 17 >> Cinema4D R15.037 >> Octane Standalone 3.00 + Octane C4D plugin 3.00
Faustik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:14 am

Goldorak Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:14 am
Faustik wrote:Hi guys,
I think that I have almost the same question. Today I´ve just try in browser desktop.otoy.com, and then suddenly appears virtual remote desktop. And then I´ve read something about OctaneRender live app that should cost 9,99 USD per month and I saw something about X.IO, so I´m little bit confused.

So my basic question and target is, that I want to use sometimes Octane in my laptop´s browser or app for some small projects when I´m travelling out. What is the best solution?

Many thanks!

Streaming Octane and the virtual desktop will be a feature we are adding to ORC - it will be priced for minutes used just as a render job for offline is. All covered in the GTC16 slides on the news page.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby cgltower2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:04 am

cgltower2 Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:04 am
I've been demo-ing X.IO to potential customers for the last year, but the quality is still a bit mixed. Should I be looking at ORC to recreate some demos, for reliability/quality? Whats the latest on X.IO, is it using the latest ORBX.js (ver 3 is it?) thanks
(btw google login not working for forum, says 'Auth Error')
cgltower2

Postby jamesalex12 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:35 am

jamesalex12 Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:35 am
Is there any cloud limit for aws
jamesalex12

Return to ORBX on Amazon AMIs