Optimize controls and runing non dx games on ORBX Amazon AMI

Forums: Optimize controls and runing non dx games on ORBX Amazon AMI
Discussion forum for ORBX on OTOY's Amazon AMIs

Optimize controls and runing non dx games on ORBX Amazon AMI

Postby igalencar » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:54 pm

igalencar Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:54 pm
Dear Otoy and forun folks.
I am trying to get a lot of games runin in the cloud, using the Amazon AMI, i sucessfully instaled some games and run them over ORBX.js but still need some tweaks....
So to help me tweak i need some guidelines...

Controls... i need to improve them, try to play Smite over the cloud i simply was no able to do it, what can be done to optimize controls?

Full Screen.. i was not able to start the game in Full Screen, is there a trick to do so?

I was not able to start Planetside 2 on the cloud i guess is because it uses openGL instead of DX.. what can be done in this case?

Is there a better way in performance to start the games over a dedicated client (win, linux and OSX)?

Start the game over a conslole instance do i get better performance?

Sorry for my total lack of english skills.
igalencar

Re: Optimize controls and runing non dx games on ORBX Amazon AMI

Postby subjectdenied » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:49 pm

subjectdenied Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:49 pm
i experimented for a month now by using amazon's amis for game streaming and here is what i found:

- otoys amis are the only ones that will stream sound, so those amis available from nvidia in the amazon market wouldn't work for this kind of cloud usage (believe me, been there - done that ...)
- i couldn't use firefox newer than stable or any other browsers (safari8 in yosemite, chrome beta/canary) with otoy's orbx.js browser streaming technology (which was the reason for me experimenting with other ways for connecting to the ami)
- i found that octane cloud workstation did work best (better than cloud desktop), cause it didn't come with restrictions for installing applications (like steam for an example)
- you can use other remote-desktop solutions like splashtop (streaming is great, however keyboard control or mouse control is horrible for gaming), or also googles remote desktop extension for chrome browsers (should also work in chrome os on chromebooks)
- i'm not exactly sure, otoy is going to like or deserve this, so i'm not going into details here, but let's say logmein hamachi, steam beta on your ami and your local machine does wonders when it comes to game streaming, it even let me use my local xbox 360 usb-controller ...
- the otoy gui (the screen you reach within the otoy's browser-streaming) is "online" immediatly after you started the ami, that means if you install splashtop, google chrome remote desktop, hamachi, steam so they would startup when windows boots, you would never ever again have a need for rdp or otoy's browser tech. you have to install the goods in the otoy-gui not in the admin-shell you would reach by microsoft rdp
- this combination worked wonders for games like dirt3, plattformers, adventures, ... i normaly wouldn't be able to play on my mac, especially valves technology for "inhome" ;-) streaming is really working great, even at 1080p 60hz (i even were able to try 4k streaming with a not so hardware hungry game) - in theory, cause in reality the nvidia grid k520 card connected to all those gpu-accelerated ami's in amazon's market are comparable to a nvidia gtx660 at the moment, which simply is not powerful enough for games like battlefield4 in higher settings. i'm not exactly sure, but it also seemed like the stream wasn't hardware decoded, so i had the bandwith available but got "slow capture" alerts, which i guess, would mean that the stream was captured slower than the it could be sent over the net to the client

so to summarize this: game streaming is here (or let's say your own "onlive"), it simply works, the only culprit for me at the moment is the rather small performance of the nvidia card dedicated to the ami, having twice the power would give me the possibility to even play highend AAA titles in the cloud, if you are satisfied by with 720p and 30hz it should suffice already, of course if you have the bandwith available only
subjectdenied

Re: Optimize controls and runing non dx games on ORBX Amazon AMI

Postby igalencar » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:25 pm

igalencar Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:25 pm
Thanks for the reply i will try 720p games runing full screen now i only conect to the desktop ad then launch the app.. i need to know how to launch direct the app via comand line also run them from full screen and with audio.
Need help desperaly.
igalencar

Return to ORBX on Amazon AMIs