Latency Spikes & Image Quality

Forums: Latency Spikes & Image Quality
Discussion forum for ORBX on OTOY's Amazon AMIs

Latency Spikes & Image Quality

Postby MajorClod » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:47 am

MajorClod Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:47 am
Hi,

Loving your innovation here. Have successfully setup a few AMI's.

Now I'm located in Australia, previous testing on a North California server and as of just recently, a Tokyo Server.

North California I was averaging around ~250ms latency.

Tokyo getting a much better ~125ms.

However, in both scenarios what appears to happen is as I'm using a 3D app, the lag occasionally spikes out to 400,500, even 1000ms.

At this time the image goes quite blocky as the adaptive streaming lowers quality.

This is on a 100Mbps connection shared around our office.

Have tried on another 100Mbps direct to my machine and performance is improved, so perhaps there is some congestion in our LAN not helping.

Looked at many options for tweaking, do you have any recommendations on the best way to improve streaming performance and minimise artefacts?

Tested on both Chrome and Firefox.

Great work, thanks
MajorClod

Re: Latency Spikes & Image Quality

Postby reformedreality » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:25 am

reformedreality Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:25 am
I'm new to this, but I've experienced similar.

I have Fibre (vDSL) at home, which achieves 45Mbps actual throughput. I also get this speed via the 5Ghz Wifi to my Mac - however the streaming quality is very poor. Full of artifics, frame rate issues - it's basically unusable. Any parameters I added to the URL made little difference.

However, via ethernet - it's crystal clear, full 60fps etc. So, same computer, same router, same DSL connection - but wired, rather than wireless.

This is on my home network, with all other devices disconnected, so my deduction is any latency on the connection to the instance, greatly affects the quality of the video - especially when there's a lot going on on the screen.

As I said I'm pretty new to using OTOY, but maybe there is latency on your LAN somewhere.
reformedreality

Return to ORBX on Amazon AMIs