Experience from New Zealand

Forums: Experience from New Zealand
Discussion forum for ORBX on OTOY's Amazon AMIs

Experience from New Zealand

Postby scottmoyse » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:08 am

scottmoyse Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:08 am
I'm using the Autodesk instance & my latency seemed to range from 140 to 250 ms. The mouse lag was hideous while my laptop was connected to my Wireless N connection. I got a colleague of mine in Christchurch to try it out. He was seeing the same levels of latency, but his experience was pretty good with respect to mouse lag. He was on a wired connection though.

So I will have another go on my PC with the wired connection to see if it's any better later tonight.

Should I be able to use the js.otoy.com URL with the Autodesk AMI? I'm just wondering if that experience would be any better.

Also could someone please explain the security to me? It seems quite secure with RDP (Username & Password etc), but with the browser client all you need is the correct URL. I wasn't expecting it to be so easy for my Colleague to get access, it was however pretty cool working on the same model at the same time.

The graphics weren't that great. They seemed to degrade quite easily, lots of pixelation. Anyway, I'll keep playing & report back with more details, screenshots and videos etc..
scottmoyse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Experience from New Zealand

Postby scottmoyse » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:08 am

scottmoyse Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:08 am
oh & I was connecting to the Northern California Server.
scottmoyse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Experience from New Zealand

Postby ShanonLoughton » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:21 am

ShanonLoughton Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:21 am
From a fellow Oceanian...(Perth)

Try playing with WAN tag in the URL. Its the bandwidth cap in Mbps

default is WAN=12 (i think)
drop it even down to WAN=0.5

http://aws.otoy.com/?connect=//ec2-xx-x ... yyyyyyyyyy

See page 6 of manual http://aws.otoy.com/docs/OTOY-EC2-AMI.pdf

Also, in my example only, notice the ap-northeast-1 in the URL? g2.2xlarge machine types are now available in AWS Tokyo. C'mon Amazon g2.2xlarge, keep heading south!
ShanonLoughton

Return to ORBX on Amazon AMIs