Cost/When am I charged

Forums: Cost/When am I charged
Discussion forum for ORBX on OTOY's Amazon AMIs

Re: Cost/When am I charged

Postby Goldorak » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Goldorak Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:04 pm
andrear wrote:hi,
just to say that I've receved a notification of a 390$ charge on my bill for a over 400 hrs of use of the service.
it was stated it was free until the end of the month and the whole procedure is so weird that is impossible to understand how to stop the service, nether if it is required to stop it or not.
I've stopped the payment from my bank and sent a feedback to amazon announcing it.

best regards,
andrea

Hi Andrea,

ORBX software is free, but the normal charges that Amazon Web Services charges per hour are not, and in fact are not charges imposed by OTOY, but by Amazom for using their GPU instances.

For anyone who is NOT an experienced AWS developer, and just wants to use Octane or windows apps from the cloud, please wait until we launch the user facing Octane Cloud service on otoy.com, which will make this process simple for end users. ORBX and Octane on AWS are targeted for developers, Octane Cloud will offer the same thing for end users.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby tolistz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:57 am

tolistz Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:57 am
''For anyone who is NOT an experienced..." Well I was charged too like Andrea. I thought it was free and I tried it. They have charged us for something we didnt use. Personally I will appriiciate it if OTOY protect us for this mess for wich we are not responsible. I didnt knew that en unexpierienced user shouldnt try it.
tolistz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:37 pm

glimpse Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:37 pm
When You sign for something it is advisable to read a bit. It was written in Amazon's website about charges..so there's noOne to blame here.

Next time spend a bit of time to read around prior going to try something..to avoid sad surprises. Take it as a lesson...
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rsuleyman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:49 pm

rsuleyman Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:49 pm
tolistz wrote:''For anyone who is NOT an experienced..." Well I was charged too like Andrea. I thought it was free and I tried it. They have charged us for something we didnt use. Personally I will appriiciate it if OTOY protect us for this mess for wich we are not responsible. I didnt knew that en unexpierienced user shouldnt try it.

The same thing happened to me. I knew I would be charged a few $ for using the service for a couple of hours but I received notification of a $1000 bill for using the service. I had set up an account to try it out but didn't really know how to use it. Turns out I didn't terminate the instance when I logged out so it was running for about a month. I contacted Amazon to explain the situation and they agreed to waive the fee on that occasion.

It's probably worth contacting Amazon before it's too late. They might let you off too.

I agree with glimpse though. It was my own fault for not reading everything properly but I was lucky in this instance.

Hope this helps.

Rico
rsuleyman
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:54 pm

glimpse Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:54 pm
Rico, these are awesome news!

I can understand, leaving out 1k$ wouldn't be so fun..
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tolistz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:03 pm

tolistz Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:03 pm
Glimpse, in fact I've read about charging in Amazon website. What I've missed is what happens if you are living an ''instance'' open. And this of course happened because of my little knowledge in using AWS
Rico, thanks for the advice. I' ve already contacted with them (today) through mail but I havent got an answer yet
tolistz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to ORBX on Amazon AMIs