Using Octane Cloud Workstation (Linux) AMI

Forums: Using Octane Cloud Workstation (Linux) AMI
Discussion forum for ORBX on OTOY's Amazon AMIs

Using Octane Cloud Workstation (Linux) AMI

Postby cgorac » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:13 am

cgorac Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:13 am
Subscribed, and then was able to run Octane Cloud Workstation (Linux) AMI. Have couple questions:

1. What is the network bandwidth typically required to smoothly run remote desktop this way? My link is 8.5 Mbps downstream, and 0.85 Mbps upstream, and I tried to run glxgears, and then to watch some YouTube videos in remote desktop, however the desktop get blurred all the time, it just doesn't "feel" right...

2. Are there any other ways to access to the remote desktop than through Web browser?

3. What is needed to install and configure on "vanilla" Amazon Linux AMI with NVIDIA GRID GPU Driver in order to have remote desktop enabled (would prefer to run Amazon Linux than Ubuntu in the remote desktop)?

Thanks.

P.S. Overall, I find this very exciting milestone, despite the fact that I found experience lacking. It's pity that a procedure to try the whole thing was not better explained in all these announcements yesterday. I was tracking GRID developments, and was awaiting for an opportunity to try it, so when learned about this new type of EC2 instances I was eager to try it. However, it was rather hard and confusing to find any info on how to actually access remote desktop once G2 instance up and running...
cgorac

Re: Using Octane Cloud Workstation (Linux) AMI

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Goldorak Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:07 pm
There is a native client and it provides UDP streaming to the host. Right now it is only bootable on windows browsers, but we are getting it on Linux.

In the meantime, try setting WAN=7 instead of 12. In the browser, where we are TCP only, this will limit the bitrate to 7 Mbs, not 12 Mbs (whichi s the default setting for up to 180p)

On Linux, for now, I would keep the res to 1280x1024 . The capture is slower than on the Windows AMIs and we are working with NVIDIA on this.

Also please post what browser you were using and if WebGL was enabled. WebGL is key for 60 hz speed in ORBX.js.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby cgorac » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:00 pm

cgorac Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:00 pm
Tried with WAN=7, no visible improvement.

On my side, it's ThinkPad W520 laptop, with Quadro 2000M graphics card, and with kernel 3.10.17 and latest NVIDIA drivers installed; all of this working properly. My browser is Firefox 24.1.0, when I visit get.webgl.org I can see spinning cube, so I guess WebGL is working fine with my browser. As mentioned in my previous post, I'm using Octane Cloud Workstation (Linux) AMI, and when I connect from my browser, the desktop size is 1024x768.

As far as clients to access remote desktop concerned: what is with this NVIDIA GRID VCA Workspace client shown in some of GRID marketing videos? Would it be possible to connect using this client, and is this client available at all?

Also, any comments on my question about additional steps needed to configure Amazon Linux AMI with NVIDIA GRID GPU Driver to enable remote access, like Octane Cloud Workstation (Linux) AMI is doing?

Thanks.
cgorac

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Goldorak Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 pm
the VCA client is not our software, so I can't provide you with help there. ORBX.js is meant to provide a web based session with no native client needed (we do have a native client though, we should test that on your system to see if it performs better than the pure JS version).

We could provide a different AMI in the future with our software running on another version of Linux. We'll look into this on our end.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby cgorac » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 am

cgorac Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:57 am
So would it be possible for you to supply native Linux client for me to try?

In the meantime, I tried to run an instance in Europe - as my location is in Europe too, I was hoping to check for some improved performance. However, when an instance of Octane Cloud Workstation (Linux) run on a server in Europe, this executable from /tmp directory that was (if I understood this correctly) providing remote desktop server side component is not there, and not run, so there is no GUID mentioned in "ps -edalf" output, and it's not possible to connect (I tried to reboot the machine, then to terminate it and create new one, but to no avail).
cgorac

Postby charliex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 am

charliex Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 am
Which amazon region are you booting it up in? EU/Ireland ? If not the drivers won't load since only g2.2xlarges are in Ireland, then you won't see the matching GUID.
charliex
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby cgorac » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:33 am

cgorac Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:33 am
Yes, it's booting in EU/Ireland - I go to AWS Marketplace, and at this page: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B ... 3816055901, in the "For region" list I select "EU West (Ireland)", and then I proceed with "Launch with 1-Click". Then, instance appears as running in "Ireland" tab of my EC2 Management Console.

I just tried to create with creating an instance following the same procedure, but this time for US East (Virginia), however same happens: no remote desktop server process in the ps listing. Maybe it's some sort of temporary issue...
cgorac

Postby charliex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 am

charliex Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 am
I'll go run some up and see if i can reproduce.
charliex
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby charliex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:50 am

charliex Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:50 am
I ran up "ORBX Cloud Game Console (Linux)" using 1 click in EU/Ireland and the the launcher showed up correctly.

So you ssh'd into ubuntu with a ps -edalf , and nothing that looks like launcher or /tmp ?

do you see compiz ? and a sleep 5000m.

like this?
charliex
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby cgorac » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 am

cgorac Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 am
It was temporary issue indeed - I was now able to launch Octane Cloud Workstation (Linux) AMI in EU/Ireland region, and to connect from my browser. The experience is better now when I'm closer to the server, but occasional hiccups are still there. So would it be possible to try with native client?
cgorac

Next

Return to ORBX on Amazon AMIs