NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:00 am

bepeg4d Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:00 am
New Standalone 2022.1-XB4 with AI Denoiser support for Apple Silicon M1/M2, and a tons of fixes:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=80512

New plugins will follow asap.

@tolitoli: you need to wait for the next version for denoiser, in the meantime, avoid to enable any denoiser option, or the render will never finish.
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby mintychap » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:41 am

mintychap Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:41 am
SRCOBB wrote:I have a 2019 Mac Pro desktop that I'll be paying off for several more years.. please tell me there will be a Mac update that is NOT M1/M2 ONLY.

I too would like some indication of future Mac-pro support. Several people has asked about this this recently and think that simply not commenting isn't acceptable. Given how much OctaneX was pushed on the back of the 2019 mac they owe it to users be upfront if they have dropped future development rather than being silent on it and hoping it goes unnoticed.
mintychap
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:45 am

bepeg4d Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:45 am
I have already reported the last sentence from core devs about 2022.1 on Intel/AMD Macs, but it worths to link it again:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=80156#p414656

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby SRCOBB » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:04 pm

SRCOBB Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:04 pm
bepeg4d wrote:I have already reported the last sentence from core devs about 2022.1 on Intel/AMD Macs, but it worths to link it again:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=80156#p414656

ciao,
Beppe

So no progress to report in nearly 2 months. It sounds to me like a "still maybe but probably not" on any future Intel/AMD Mac support, and Octane X is done.
This makes me really sad. I'm wondering how long I should keep paying for hope.
SRCOBB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby atoyuser1 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:43 am

atoyuser1 Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:43 am
SRCOBB wrote:So no progress to report in nearly 2 months. It sounds to me like a "still maybe but probably not" on any future Intel/AMD Mac support, and Octane X is done.
This makes me really sad. I'm wondering how long I should keep paying for hope.

Logging on to see where we are at with non-M1. It's not looking good is it.
Built a Hackintosh to house my 2 x AMD cards :cry:
atoyuser1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby leonthegod » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:38 pm

leonthegod Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:38 pm
No new updates about intel/AMD support, whom currently has the fastest cards for MAC users. I understand why Apple is dropping AMD but I'm so disappointed in OTOY for dropping it completely. They have supported macOS 10.13 running CUDA for years and yet dropping 6xxx series after 2 years? Broken promises and lies all around, where is the MAC + PC network rendering support? we surely do need it since these m1/m2 chips are slow as heck. I'm not sure why OTOY even wasted their time creating a macOS version, which is the slowest renderer out of all the AMD supported ones because it only supports m1/m2, CYCLES and REDSHIFT are all faster because they support AMDs 6xxx series.
leonthegod
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:51 pm

frankmci Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:51 pm
leonthegod wrote:No new updates about intel/AMD support, whom currently has the fastest cards for MAC users. I understand why Apple is dropping AMD but I'm so disappointed in OTOY for dropping it completely. They have supported macOS 10.13 running CUDA for years and yet dropping 6xxx series after 2 years? Broken promises and lies all around, where is the MAC + PC network rendering support? we surely do need it since these m1/m2 chips are slow as heck. I'm not sure why OTOY even wasted their time creating a macOS version, which is the slowest renderer out of all the AMD supported ones because it only supports m1/m2, CYCLES and REDSHIFT are all faster because they support AMDs 6xxx series.

Cycles and Redshift may be profoundly different than Octane, under the hood, or Octane may rely heavily on a particular set of functions that just can't be worked around without low level support in the OS. If Apple chooses not to support the AMD hardware that way, there's not much OTOY can do about it.

I'm speaking only from long-past development experience, not from any inside knowledge of this particular situation. My point is that from the outside, it's easy to say, "You don't care about your customers because you won't support X Y and Z!" Actually getting all the hardware, software, and driver puzzle pieces to fit together can be insanely difficult. Sometimes it's not practical, or even impossible without completely starting over. Yes, that totally stinks, but that's the reality of complex systems integration. Jules & Co. have to make choices with limited available assets and limited knowledge of the future, just like the rest of us.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby leonthegod » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:31 pm

leonthegod Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:31 pm
frankmci wrote:
leonthegod wrote:No new updates about intel/AMD support, whom currently has the fastest cards for MAC users. I understand why Apple is dropping AMD but I'm so disappointed in OTOY for dropping it completely. They have supported macOS 10.13 running CUDA for years and yet dropping 6xxx series after 2 years? Broken promises and lies all around, where is the MAC + PC network rendering support? we surely do need it since these m1/m2 chips are slow as heck. I'm not sure why OTOY even wasted their time creating a macOS version, which is the slowest renderer out of all the AMD supported ones because it only supports m1/m2, CYCLES and REDSHIFT are all faster because they support AMDs 6xxx series.

Cycles and Redshift may be profoundly different than Octane, under the hood, or Octane may rely heavily on a particular set of functions that just can't be worked around without low level support in the OS. If Apple chooses not to support the AMD hardware that way, there's not much OTOY can do about it.

I'm speaking only from long-past development experience, not from any inside knowledge of this particular situation. My point is that from the outside, it's easy to say, "You don't care about your customers because you won't support X Y and Z!" Actually getting all the hardware, software, and driver puzzle pieces to fit together can be insanely difficult. Sometimes it's not practical, or even impossible without completely starting over. Yes, that totally stinks, but that's the reality of complex systems integration. Jules & Co. have to make choices with limited available assets and limited knowledge of the future, just like the rest of us.

The intricacies on how it works isn't the problem of the customers. They charged me full price for software updates what won't ever come. It was easy for them to take my money and removing support for devices under 2 years old is bad business. These are the facts, I don't need to understand how their company is ran, I am not CEO. We as the consumers want a working product, they have the MAC PRO purchase page still up, yet it's EOL.
leonthegod
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SRCOBB » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:59 pm

SRCOBB Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:59 pm
Here is what I'd like to know right now. Is it possible to get a simple update to Octane X so that I can use it in C4D 2023?
I'm not even asking for new functions or development right now, I'd just like to use my preferred renderer in the latest version of my preferred software (still way faster than Redshift for me) ...or are we done at PR14?
SRCOBB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:05 am

frankmci Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:05 am
leonthegod wrote:The intricacies on how it works isn't the problem of the customers. They charged me full price for software updates what won't ever come. It was easy for them to take my money and removing support for devices under 2 years old is bad business. These are the facts, I don't need to understand how their company is ran, I am not CEO. We as the consumers want a working product, they have the MAC PRO purchase page still up, yet it's EOL.

Sure it's the problem of the customers. It's the real world we live in. That is a fact. Welcome to capitalism. AMD/Apple hardware compatibility may be a technically insurmountable problem, it may be a business decision, it may be somewhere in between. Otoy may lose you as a customer, and if it ticks off enough people, the company may develop a bad reputation, lose profitability and ultimately go bankrupt. Business is messy, difficult, and often wildly unfair. If you are really motivated maybe you can work up a class action suit and hasten their corporate demise. I doubt it would succeed, though, if Otoy can prove that the product worked as advertised at the time of purchase. That's their only legal obligation unless otherwise explicitly stated in a contract.

You might want to ask for a refund for the Octane portion of your purchase. That's about all that can be reasonably expected from Otoy, whatever the reason for the AMD situation. The risk of investing early in new tech that winds up going nowhere is part of working in a rapidly changing industry like ours. You took a gamble, which seemed like a reasonable one at the time, but it may not go in your favor. Yes, that undeniably sucks.

I've made quite a few of those gambles over the years, and I've lost several of them. The first few really stung, but it eventually became clear that it's just part of working in this field on the leading edge. My own strategy, developed over the last thirty years, is to be content working comfortably behind that edge. It's just not worth the slight advantage that winning those particularly risky bets might provide. Purchases are based on actual shipping product that can pay for itself in production, not future projections of what might be coming down the line if everything works out. I find that somewhere between one and three years behind the bleeding edge works just fine for the vast majority of clients and projects. A reliable, well understood set of tools may not be flashy, but they also don't crap out unexpectedly when the heat is on, or require lots of additional late-night R & D for each new project.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements