NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby Weezer » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:52 pm

Weezer Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:52 pm
Totally agree. I dropped a shit-ton of money on my Mac Pro, largely because of the promise of Octane X, and have upgraded to a W6800X Duo because Octane is really crashy on 8GB VRAM GPUs. I can't see Apple releasing a Mac Pro to compete with mine for at least a year to 18 months, so I really hope that we get a version of OctaneX for Intel/AMD Macs that's useable, stable and feature-compatible, otherwise, once my year's free Enterprise license runs out, I won't be buying a subscription.

Jeez, I'm used to being second-class citizen in the world of PC applications, but I feel like a second-class citizen in the world of Apple, now that the almighty Apple Silicon is the new messiah. I've supported Apple most of my adult life, but the company still gives me a right kicking every couple of years. Sigh. Starting to feel really betrayed over this Mac Pro.

And while I'm having a rant, denoising worked months ago – why does it now NOT work?
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dinodraven » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:14 pm

dinodraven Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:14 pm
Same to me. I bought a Mac Pro as soon as Octane X was released dreaming of fast renders and amazing performances. Far from reality. My Pc has much less specs and renders way more faster than the Mac Pro. Octane Crashes around 6 times per session (one session can take around 4 or 5 hours). I am tired of this, so I canceled my subscription and I am seriously considering selling the Mac Pro, which again, has been a Scam from Apple (my fault for being so idiot).
As everybody, I think future is in Unreal Engine.
dinodraven

Postby dannydisaster93 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:47 pm

dannydisaster93 Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:47 pm
Sorry if I’m reading the post wrong but doesn’t the statement

by 2023 we may have to release features only for pre-Apple Silicon hardware

Imply that Intel macs will get access to features Silicon won’t have? I’m seeing blowback that Mac Pro users are the ones losing out here but can’t wrap my head around how that statement confirms anything but the opposite. I’d assume that to be the case too, where the plan is to have both windows & OSX builds of Octane eventually mirroring each other as surely it’s easier to make certain features available to Intel macs over a new chip architecture.
dannydisaster93

Postby Ainionu » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:51 pm

Ainionu Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:51 pm
Have anybody seen or heard anything about Octane 2022 release date or was this just a sales pitch for black friday and another promise for simple minded fans like us?
Ainionu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TBubble » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:27 am

TBubble Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:27 am
The way I read the whole quote...
Octane X 2022 will primarily be optimized for native Apple Silicon - and as a head's up, by 2023 we may have to release features only for pre-Apple Silicon hardware as Apple's new GPU features and capabilities become supported only on Apple Silicon devices.

..is that Otoy is indeed favoring Apple Silicon over the MacPro but that it will continue to work (hopefully better than the denoiser currently) even though it's optimized for Apple Silicon. The second part of the quote seems to imply that there will be differing feature sets from 2023 onward with the newest and best features limited to Apple Silicon devices.

If that's correct, it is an open question if the 2019 MacPros will get any love in Octane 2022 considering that
the 2022 features will likely also require the minimum HW spec to move to 2020+ GPUs for latest features (including Brigade) to work

Still, I would absolutely love to be wrong.
TBubble

Postby zivfinkel » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:05 pm

zivfinkel Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:05 pm
Hey guys, im not sure where to ask this... I'm currently using 16"MBP, and lets just say that i want to throw it out of the window. so many crashes.
I'm thinking of buying a new computer, and on one hand I really want the new MBP with M1 MAX, but on the other hand I'm also thinking maybe a PC would be better. The thing is, I really dislike windows, and I prefer MacOS, but if a PC is a much better choise so I guess a PC is is :(
zivfinkel

Postby atoyuser1 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:29 am

atoyuser1 Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:29 am
zivfinkel wrote:Hey guys, im not sure where to ask this... I'm currently using 16"MBP, and lets just say that i want to throw it out of the window. so many crashes.
I'm thinking of buying a new computer, and on one hand I really want the new MBP with M1 MAX, but on the other hand I'm also thinking maybe a PC would be better. The thing is, I really dislike windows, and I prefer MacOS, but if a PC is a much better choise so I guess a PC is is :(

As a new M1 user trying to get all this set up, my advice would be wait a good year for everything to catch up
atoyuser1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SmartNTech » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:41 pm

SmartNTech Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:41 pm
verstaerker2 wrote:
Liviud11 wrote:Is PR13 for Maya ever gonna happen? It's the fourth time I'm asking and I'm being ignored, even though we keep paying for the subscription.

i asked the support , and they answered they are working on it

Yes, I received the same response. Doesn't look like they will be releasing it anytime soon because the production process has been delayed again.
The OctaneX for Maya plugin is planned as soon as the Octane 2022 implementation is complete!
SmartNTech

Postby atoyuser1 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:06 pm

atoyuser1 Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:06 pm
I posted what appears to be a bug in PR13 in the C4D section: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=79003

Not sure if it's place is better posted here...
atoyuser1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Chester_X » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:22 am

Chester_X Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:22 am
Does Octane X work with RDNA 2 Architecture
Chester_X

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements